Author Topic: Scenery not in Addon Manager After Install  (Read 6717 times)

737Captain

• Currently flying the BE90/200/350 and BE400A
Scenery not in Addon Manager After Install
« on: September 18, 2009, 01:12:44 am »
Hello all,

After purchasing and installing the KLAS scenery as "administrator" I cannot find the scenery listed in the addon manager to activate it.  I find this particularly odd because when I load the airport in FSX, KLAS appears to be in demo mode (no buildings, just gates) but is not listed in the addon manager.  I have previously purchased and installed KORD without an issue.

I should mention that I am running FSX-SP2 in Vista.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

737Captain
"Did you check the weather?"
-"Nope"
"Me neither"
-"Does it matter? We're going anyway aren't we?"
"Yup"

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Scenery not in Addon Manager After Install
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 01:52:45 am »
After purchasing and installing the KLAS scenery as "administrator" I cannot find the scenery listed in the addon manager to activate it.

This can only happen if, for any reason, you have reverted to an older version of the Addon Manager files ( bglmanx.dll and bglmanx*.dat files ) that was released before KLAS so, it doesn't have any knowledge of it.

This might have happened if you installed a very old version of a previous scenery you might have downloaded long ago, that didn't include self-update from the internet in the installer.

Or, it might happen if you manually replace the files with an older version, that doesn't "know" about KLAS.

I find this particularly odd because when I load the airport in FSX, KLAS appears to be in demo mode (no buildings, just gates) but is not listed in the addon manager.

That's NOT demo mode! That's not working scenery. The demo mode is exactly like the registered scenery, nothing is missing, except it only runs for 5 minutes at a time, then you need to restart FSX to have another 5 minutes period.

If the Addon Manager doesn't know about KLAS, the scenery will not display, which is exactly what you are seeing now.

So, you only need to install KLAS, and don't touch any files, the .dll/.dat files that comes with it, obviously include KLAS, so the scenery will work in Trial and will be buyable.

If you are sure you haven't downgraded the files yourself or installed something older, maybe something unusual on your system is preventing the newer files that comes with KLAS to be installed. In this case, you might want to try the following:

- Reboot Windows (important) to ensure nobody is locking the files.

- Uninstall KLAS, reply "YES" to the questions about removing the Addon Manager and the Couatl script engine

- If you have an antivirus, turn it off now.

- Reinstall KLAS, verify is downloading some files at start

- turn the antivirus back on and configure it to exclude the FSX\bglmanx.dll and FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl.exe from scanning

- Launch FSX. KLAS will surely appear on the Addon Manager and it should work.

The antivirus steps are only necessary in case your antivirus is mistakenly reporting those files as threats and are only needed with few a/v programs.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:56:01 am by virtuali »

737Captain

• Currently flying the BE90/200/350 and BE400A
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 02:20:15 am »
Thank you for the prompt response virtuali.

I can assure you that I have not manually modified any of the files as I do not have the technical know-how to do so   :-[.

After following your directions to the "T" I still have the same issue.  The only sceneries listed are KORD and Zurich in the addon manager.  Are there any ways I could have accidentally modified or changed to an older version of the addon manager files without knowing it?  The only time I ever even browse through my FSX root folder is if I am adding a freeware plane or following instructions on how to fix some of my other payware. 

Any thoughts would be helpful.  I appreciate your time and effort on this one.

Thanks again!

737Captain
"Did you check the weather?"
-"Nope"
"Me neither"
-"Does it matter? We're going anyway aren't we?"
"Yup"

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 01:10:55 pm »
After following your directions to the "T" I still have the same issue.  The only sceneries listed are KORD and Zurich in the addon manager.

The Addon Manager for  is composed by bglmanx.dll and some bglmanx*.dat, one for each publisher so, the FSDT one is called bglmanx_fsdt.dat.  If you have those files in the root FSX folder, you have the complete Addon Manager installed. If you remove just 1 .DAT file, it will still work, just without displaying all products related to the publisher the .DAT file refers to.

The list of available sceneries is taken from the .dat file so, it's not possible you are just missing a file because, if you accidentally removed the bglmanx_fsdt.dat file, there would be no FSDT sceneries at all and no FSDT publisher as well. And, the .DLL and the .DAT have to go together, an older .DLL won't work with a newer .DAT and vice-versa.

So, the only explanation possible, is that you have and old version of BOTH the .DLL and the .DAT files, dated when only LSZH and KORD were released.

If you are installing the current Addon Manager, which comes with any scenery, or with its own stand-alone installer, it should get the very latest version online automatically so, if you still have the old versions installed, the only possible explanation, is that your antivirus is keep blocking the update of the files, so you are still stuck with the old version in your FSX.

And, sorry, if you followed my previous instruction TO THE LETTER, it's just not possible that you still see the old version of the Addon Manager because, when I've said to reply YES to the question "do you want to remove the Addon Manager", this step should have removed the old version AND, if you reinstalled the current version, either you should't see ANY Addon Manager (in case the antivirus is blocking it) or you should see the current one, that has KLAS listed.

So, if you followed my previous instructions to the letter, it's just not possible you see the Addon Mananger with only Zurich and O'Hare in the list.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:16:06 pm by virtuali »

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 04:09:08 pm »
...changed to an older version of the addon manager files without knowing it?

If you installed it from an archive that you had previously saved to a cd, then yes... you would have installed an old version.  If you have any doubts, just download any of the sceneries and run it, you'll always get the newest version.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock