Author Topic: heavy flickering / missing AA?  (Read 2586 times)

data63

heavy flickering / missing AA?
« on: September 02, 2019, 09:12:04 pm »
I experience heavy flickering (like bad or missing AA) on nearly all terinal areas, extremely on the lightpoles at dusk and dark.
Other Sceneries (FSDT, FT, FB,  ....) are not affected. - Using ORBX vector, landclass NA and Chicago.
As nobody else seems to have that problem here it looks as a "problem on my side" - I tried differend AA and graphic setting but no real improvement.

Any Ideas where to look?

(Thanks in advance!)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: heavy flickering / missing AA?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 10:32:32 pm »
This has been discussed in so many threads already, and it's related to so many different factors at once:

- Your overall screen resolution. The higher, the less you'll see aliasing problems.

- PBR sceneries requires the full complement of Albedo+Metallic+Normal maps, otherwise PBR simply won't work.

- Some kind of materials with fin details shows aliasing (that you call flickering is aliasing instead, that's why AA is called anti-aliasing)

- PBR really requires SSAA modes. However, there are still some issues with them in the current P3D4 version, and LM is aware of it, and will hopefully improve in the next update.

- non-PBR sceneries have less issues, not because they don't, but because the issue with SSAA and PBR (which should be fixed by LM) affect only PBR sceneries. KORD is the only true full PBR scenery out there, that's why you might assume it has a problem, but it hasn't.

- we are trying to find ways to tweak some of the most problematic textures, to reduce the problem until LM will fix it in a more proper way.

In any case, if you want to see how KORD can look like with the proper hardware and the proper settings, check these two incredible videos down here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuoGjgkmrE4&t=47s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MImyW6jq_7g

Be sure you see them in full screen on YouTube, because they are both 4K in extremely high quality and won't work in a window.

skysurfer

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 05:29:38 am »
I just installed v2. Same problem. Looks awful! Sorry. I have SSAAx8. I cannot even taxi, everything looks very bad. All other sceneries looks good.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 09:25:11 am »
I just installed v2. Same problem. Looks awful! Sorry. I have SSAAx8. I cannot even taxi, everything looks very bad.

The previous link in my video ( not made by me ), clearly shows how the scenery really looks like. Note that, there are still some issues with SSSA in the current version of the sim, will be fixed in the next update by LM

All other sceneries looks good.

If you mean older sceneries using the legacy (non-PBR) rendering are not affected by lack of SSAA and a bug in the sim (which will be fixed in the next hotfix), then yes, this is true.  But is also true this issue is very well known for all other PBR sceneries out there (and none of them is 100% like KORD), and they will be all fixed at once in the next hotfix from LM.

The issue is, other developers that made PBR sceneries by converting older sceneries, could offer you a temporary solution, by disabling PBR and reverting to the legacy shader, because they HAVE  these old textures that can be used.

We don't have such old textures, KORD it's a true PBR product which never had a legacy version, and it wouldn't make any sense to spend any time to create old style textures, to fix something that will be soon fixed by LM, before we could do any of that.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 09:29:23 am by virtuali »