Author Topic: Black triangle flashes  (Read 23653 times)

paulyg123

Re: Black triangle flashes
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 03:09:02 am »
umberto.  I appreciate your response.  Remember I can live with the triangle flashes so I am not complaining but you are not following me.  Your video iis not at the immediate gate area. Only in the gate areas do I see the triangles. On taxiways runways and in the air I see no triangles. At the gate during pushback and while approaching the taxiway I get flashes every 5 seconds.  In the Window view I mentioned, the issue goes away.  Why? I have no clue.  That is why I wish someone who had the issue chimes in to test my theory.

paulyg123

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 03:43:56 am »
I only get these flashing triangles in the gate area at KORD Not on the runways or taxiways.  I also noticed in the window Alt Enter view I get no flashing triangles and when I go to fiull  view the triangles start immediately at once per 5 seconds on average. Can someone try the window view and see if it resolves the issue?

american398

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 04:34:16 am »
I can confirm i get the flashes in windowed mode.

I can also confirm flashes on a RTX 2080 Video card with medium settings. Flashes also occur with NO MODIFIED SHADING.

american398

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2019, 04:42:57 am »
Umberto, would you be kind enough to post your p3d settings?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 06:07:32 pm »
Attached is my settings file. Place it in the Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files folder, start the sim and select the "Virtuali" profile in the Options->Graphics page.

However, I don't think it would change much to those affected, because I don't use any shader mods, I don't tweak my video card, and I don't have many add-ons, other than UT Live, some airplanes from PMDG, FS Labs, Leonardo and Aerosoft, and DD Chicago X city at KORD.

See this video here, for example:

This guy made a full flight from EGLL to KORD in the PMDG 747 and, arriving at KORD, he didn't had any flashing triangles so, it's *clearly* something affecting only some users with some kind of unusual combination of settings/tweaks/mods, since this guy surely have more installed add-ons then I have.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:13:01 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 06:37:43 pm »
I merged the two identical threads into this one ( the other one was in the Backdoor forum ), to be able to follow it better

american398

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2019, 03:31:24 am »
Umberto, I used your settings on full flight into KORD and unfortunately still got the black flashes. I am also running PTA and ORBX so it is possible i suppose that one of those is the culprit. Interesting note, It seems it only happens when the aircraft is moving. When i parked at the gate and changed views or panned around i did not see any black flashes.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2019, 01:47:41 pm »
I am also running PTA and ORBX so it is possible i suppose that one of those is the culprit.

PTA is more likely, since any add-on that modifies default shaders have the potential to affect rendering.

The issue is, those tweakers were made in pre-PBR times, trying to achieve a more modern look and a PBR-ish look, but they shouldn't even be necessary in PBR, since the whole point of PBR is to allow correct rendering of color and lights without any tweaks. And, LM is updating their shaders with each build (even minor ones) and you never know how safe is to use a shader modification that might not have been fully tested on that particular build.

No shader tweaks and a monitor calibrated with a colorimeter. That's all I use.

paulyg123

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2019, 09:50:56 pm »
I just did the latest FSDT Live Update and I noticed I don't get ant flashing triangles anymore.  I spent 20 minutes taxiing all around KORD gate areas and not 1 flashing triangle.  Hopefully the update fixed it for all.

american398

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2019, 02:07:43 am »
I just did the latest FSDT Live Update and I noticed I don't get ant flashing triangles anymore.  I spent 20 minutes taxiing all around KORD gate areas and not 1 flashing triangle.  Hopefully the update fixed it for all.

unfortunately no not on my end

Pirateinparadise

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2019, 04:37:39 am »
I merged the two identical threads into this one ( the other one was in the Backdoor forum ), to be able to follow it better

Umberto... This problem is real, and it is NOT unique to your airports.

My theory is that P3D is turning the ILS markers (OM, MM, IM) into something that we can see. I have attached 2 screen captures of the PMDG 737 NGX on approach to FlyTampa KBOS runway 15R at ~700' AGL. I captured 2 frames very close together. In the 1st frame, the "beam" is red. In the 2nd one, it has changed to yellow and moved to the right of it's previous position. When it happens, it literally "sweeps" across the entire display. I have experienced the exact same problem on approach to your KCLT (the beams had blue in them). I suspect that the black triangles are the same thing, but folks are seeing it while parked on the ground and not moving.

The drinking rum on the beach kind. Not the software stealing kind.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2019, 03:14:52 pm »
Umberto... This problem is real, and it is NOT unique to your airports.

Of course it's real, and of course it's NOT unique to our airports, that's the main point. It's either an issue of the sim itself ( PBR rendering still have some bugs left, and LM is aware of them ), or something caused by a combination of tweaks and/or settings.

It's not a KORD problem, that's all what I'm saying, and you just provided another confirmation.

paulyg123

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2019, 12:44:04 am »
I believe Pirateinparidise is on to something.  I think the triangles are actually light being reflected.  I tried to turn off BEACON and experimented with other aircraft lights. It made no difference. I could not figure it out. 

I don't want to repeat myself, but I took a PMDG 747 from Gate C15 (daytime) and did two loops around Terminal C and got ZERO triangle flashes in the ALT ENTER mode, with the full screen view I counted 33 triangle flashes in the same journey, then back to ALT ENTER and did another loop and got ZERO flashes.

I repeated the test at night and the same results.

So for me, the solution is ALT ENTER view at KORD gate and full view after I take off.  Sounds pathetic, but it works.

american398

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2019, 04:14:01 pm »
No unfortunately I still see them in windowed mode.

Dimon

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2019, 04:10:35 pm »
For those who's using PTA, please do disable "Smooth Day/Night Transitions" in Autogen Lighting Section. It helped me a lot with night-time textures' problems in IMS WSSS and KATL PBR sceneries.
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.