Author Topic: DD Chicago City X Compatibility Issue  (Read 5202 times)

Whoashloppy

DD Chicago City X Compatibility Issue
« on: August 28, 2019, 06:30:18 am »
Hello,

I have both Drzewiecki Design Chicago City X and now, FSDT KORD V2 and noticed that there is an area between where the FSDT KORD ends and the DD Chicago City X begins where there is no autogen or scenery, just flat ground. If I change the scenery priority to put the DD Chicago City X higher than FSDT, the problem appears to be fixed, but there are elevation issues on the airport itself. I am guessing the culprit is the exclude file FSDT uses. I have seen another post from Umberto indicating he does have the DD Chicago City X installed, so I was wondering if the exclude area could be made smaller as to not take out the DD Chicago City X scenery immediately surrounding the airport (unless the problem is something I've done, which is possible). Thanks for taking a look.

With FSDT KORD V2 on top:
https://flic.kr/p/2h6Dzum
With DD Chicago City X on top:
https://flic.kr/p/2h6CRn9

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: DD Chicago City X Compatibility Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 11:33:34 am »
We'll look into that.

micstatic

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 03:30:57 am »
wanted to see if there was a best practice for this?  I have the chicago city scenery only, but your FSDT airport for ORD.  I realize you only can support one product.  But surely somebody figured this out.  Have some elevation issues at ORD

Whoashloppy

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 10:00:22 pm »
Hello,

I'd just like to follow up after doing some experimenting with the scenery configurations. First of all, I do realize that it is not FSDT's responsibility to provide compatibility with other payware products. Now, with that being said, there is no question that FSDT KORD V2 is best enjoyed in conjunction with DD's Chicago City X. It's the both of best worlds; FSDT's KORD is superior, but DD's Chicago City X is outstanding. Which is why it's too bad that there is a pronounced gap in the scenery where FSDT ends and DD begins. This is very noticeable when on short final and there is a glaring flat area along the airport perimeter where there should be dense urban development.

I played around with some files and was able to make it so that all the DD buildings to appear in the sim without any negative effects (elevation issues, jetways, etc) on the airport grounds that I can find. I'm sure FSDT won't like me sharing those files here. I mainly just wanted to illustrate the fact that if I'm able to disable a few files without any knowledge of what I'm doing and achieve the results I'm looking for, then certainly these addons can be made compatible with each other. Perhaps in the future, Live Update can detect the presence of DD Chicago and adjust the necessary files in order to achieve maximum compatibility. Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 12:17:53 am »
You are piggybacking on a thread that is fairly old, when KORD V2 just came out.

I don't see any issues using DD Chicago City X together with FSDT KORD, and even together with DD other Chicago airports ( except KORD ), just sure that:

- You keep DD Chicago City on a lower layer than FSDT KORD

- You use the DD *Installer* to DE-SELECT KORD, which results removing it. DO NOT remove it by hand, because their uninstaller does several non-obvious stuff ( removing, renaming, etc. ) that would cause a mess if you remove DD KORD by hand.

Yes, there was a bug in some version of their uninstaller, in which it didn't remove *all* files from their KORD airport, some lights were still there but, maybe, they fixed it in later version, no idea but, in general, when I tested it, there we no issues using all of them together.

Whoashloppy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 03:42:12 am »
Hi Umberto,

I'm piggybacking on my own thread that I started. You last replied that you were looking into it but there was never a follow-up reply or statement indicating the issue was resolved. I installed the DD stuff as you described in V5 and still had the same issue that is present in the screenshots in my first post from V4. To reiterate, there is an area in between the FSDT KORD and DD scenery which is flattened - several buildings that are present in the DD Chicago City/KORD before the installation of FSDT KORD are no longer there. According to my findings, it is caused by the FSDT terrain BGL files. My assumption (correct me if I'm wrong) is that there is some type of flatten or exclude there that expands beyond the airport perimeter which takes out some of the buildings immediately surrounding KORD.

Whoashloppy

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 04:37:50 am »
To attempt to show you I'm not seeing things, here are two photos I just took: the first one is with FSDT KORD V2 layered over Chicago X; the second one is after my "fix." I don't think I did anything to mess up my installation, but if you or someone else can say they have all the buildings I have in my second pic without manually messing around with files, then I'll gladly stand corrected.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 12:46:11 pm »
To attempt to show you I'm not seeing things, here are two photos I just took

Nobody ever said you are "seeing things". I didn't re-checked your initial screenshot from last year, so I though it was something more serious, not this really minor issue with autogen exclusion.

We'll see if it's possible to create an exclusion area that would work equally well when using DD scenery or not using it.

sgwkelly18

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 06:10:34 pm »
the second one is after my "fix."

Any chance you could share some short instructions for your 'fix' (to save others the painstaking process of trial and error of removing individual BGLs)? I agree that FSDT KORD is the superior airport scenery - but the DD scenery for the surrounds makes such a difference to the approach. Would love to get them working together without the autogen exclude area...