Author Topic: KORD Night Lighting **SOLVED**  (Read 20250 times)

bhorv67

Re: KORD Night Lighting **SOLVED**
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 01:07:26 am »
I thought the issue may have been the night lighting add on was utilizing the DL overhead, but that doesn't appear to be the case. With the night lighting disabled, I'm still not getting any DL on approach or after landing, until I pull right up to the gate, and then only the building I'm parked at will illuminate.
If I refresh the scenery cache, then all the DL works. Not sure what else to do.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 01:48:35 pm »
I thought the issue may have been the night lighting add on was utilizing the DL overhead, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

It likely is, otherwise other users would have reported it by now, if it really were a problem of the scenery. Yes, it was reported before the fix, we fixed it, and nobody else except you has reported it again, after the fix.

With the night lighting disabled, I'm still not getting any DL on approach or after landing, until I pull right up to the gate, and then only the building I'm parked at will illuminate.
If I refresh the scenery cache, then all the DL works. Not sure what else to do.

Your description of the problem indicates that:

- the DL which are made as a standard .BGL, so they are handled entirely by the simulator without any control on our part, other than just placing the lights, are not working.

- the DL which are created by our Couatl engine (so they could appear/disappear only when you are close to the terminal) ARE working.

The problem is, making also the other lights handled by the Couatl engine, will likely fix this issue but, the more objects we create dynamically, the more the scenery will cause pauses when loading, so we wanted to use them only when absolutely necessary, and stick with the .BGL format for everything that is not supposed to go in/out based on some condition, which is the case of the background lights.

So, before taking some extra action, I would wanted to get at least another user report still having the same issue after the fix.

bhorv67

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 08:22:22 pm »
Was hoping someone else would add to this post with similar results.
I've turned my sim graphics settings down and yet I still don't get any DL from the canopy lights until I'm parked at the gate (and then only at that building). Arriving at night, the buildings are all dark.

What's odd is this is the only airport this happens to. All my other FSDT airports looks beautiful at night, no problems at all.

General Aviation

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 04:53:24 am »
I have noticed while flying into KORD V2 that most times the dynamic lighting wont load. I am up to date on fsdt and prepar3d 4.5 hotfix 2 content, client and scenery. Latest graphics drivers. I can shutdown the sim and load into KORD and then it will be fine any ideas? It should work as im flying into the airport correct? and even when im close to gates still nothing TIA:)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:46:17 am by General Aviation »

american398

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 05:13:29 pm »
You know I’m getting the exact same thing. What’s going on with this scenery? You know I’ve been very patient about all these bugs but it’s starting to get annoying. From flashing triangles to this now? Come on this is ridiculous.

General Aviation

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 10:27:39 pm »
You know I’m getting the exact same thing. What’s going on with this scenery? You know I’ve been very patient about all these bugs but it’s starting to get annoying. From flashing triangles to this now? Come on this is ridiculous.

I’m not the only one with the dynamic lighting issue. Good to know I have heard it from other developers too and they have been able to fix it so hoping that’s the issue :)

bhorv67

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2019, 08:12:17 pm »
I've reported this issue and was told there were no other users experiencing the problem, and they weren't going to investigate until others speak up. Now I'm glad others have, but also look for a fix.

And to restate what my issue is, upon arriving at KORD at night, no DL is visible until I pull right up to the gate and stop, then only the lights at the building will illuminate. I can see the lights from the canopy are on, but they are not projecting DL light onto other objects.
I don't have this issue at any other FSDT airport (or any other devs airport).

Hoping to get this fixed. Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2019, 02:34:56 pm »
And to restate what my issue is, upon arriving at KORD at night, no DL is visible until I pull right up to the gate and stop, then only the lights at the building will illuminate. I can see the lights from the canopy are on, but they are not projecting DL light onto other objects.

This is not a "problem", of course. It's a good scenery FEATURE, which is clearly explained at Page 10 of the KORD V2 manual, when Dynamic Lighting is explained:

We have two sets of Dynamic Lights:

- A “Global” set which is always enabled, that creates a background ambiance, to prevent the airport from being entirely dark in the distance.

- Several “Local” set of lights, placed around the terminals to simulate light pylons, that contribute with an additional lighting to the user airplane or AIs

The Local sets are handled by our software modules, using our special Collision areas, which are logical boundaries that can have their own shapes precisely defined. With this method, the Local light sets are not created until your airplane enters inside this invisible boundary, which matches the shape of each Terminal. This way, DL related to terminals other than the one your airplane is located on, will not show, only a single Local set is ever loaded at any given time. This keeps the total number of DL active under control, to keep fps up.

This way, KORD V2 can enjoy total and full DL ( *all* lights are dynamic and use PBR ), without the big associated cost in fps seen in other scenery, which either have very low fps with DL on, or had to reduce the number of DL a lot, and fall back to legacy baked illumination, which of course doesn't look nearly as good as DL, especially with PBR materials.

american398

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2019, 04:20:40 pm »
Once again another ridiculous excuse. This is pathetic now. I’m sorry but I have had enough of this crap. The DL works fine if you load into the airport but it doesn’t when we fly in. Now we get excuses about boundaries, local sets and “collision areas”. FIX THE SCENERY. IT IS BROKEN AND HAS BEEN SINCE DAY ONE!!!. I’m seeing it more and more now with you fraudster developers denying reality. Us real summers out here can see it right in front of our face. Oh and by the way, this issure is not “SOLVED”. Far from it. Get to work Umberto.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2019, 04:26:01 pm »
Yes, we USED to have a problem with DL lights not appearing on ARRIVAL on the INITIAL release, but this was FIXED in the August 28th update, only 5 days after the scenery came out:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

August 28th 2019

Bugfix KORD V2 - Fixed issue with Dynamic Lights not appearing arriving from another airport.

THAT problem doesn't happen anymore.

I was explaining something entirely different, which are SOME Dynamic Lights which only appear when you enter IN a parking, and those are supposed to work like that and only show up when getting close.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 04:29:55 pm by virtuali »

TheBosnianSee-saw

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2019, 09:47:48 pm »
I am having the same issue. If you load into the airport it is fine. When i land at the airport it is terrible. I have done many updates since August 28th and i have the same results. If the problem is solved, How do you fix it?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 02:04:18 am »
I am having the same issue. If you load into the airport it is fine. When i land at the airport it is terrible. I have done many updates since August 28th and i have the same results.

That's what used to happen before the fix.

If the problem is solved, How do you fix it?

Nothing, we fixed it with the August 28th update. DL lights are working fine when landing now, except the apron lights, which are supposed to work only when getting close.

Have you maybe installed a shader modification ?

General Aviation

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 04:45:54 am »
I am having the same issue. If you load into the airport it is fine. When i land at the airport it is terrible. I have done many updates since August 28th and i have the same results. If the problem is solved, How do you fix it?
I also dont use any shader modifications so that reason is out the window
I have also done the updates and im STILL having the issue.

I really like how you guys have designed the lights that way but when it doesn't work thats a problem Is there a way to disable the 2 sets of dynamic lights and just make them on all the time?

We have two sets of Dynamic Lights:

- A “Global” set which is always enabled, that creates a background ambiance, to prevent the airport from being entirely dark in the distance.

- Several “Local” set of lights, placed around the terminals to simulate light pylons, that contribute with an additional lighting to the user airplane or AIs

The Local sets are handled by our software modules, using our special Collision areas, which are logical boundaries that can have their own shapes precisely defined. With this method, the Local light sets are not created until your airplane enters inside this invisible boundary, which matches the shape of each Terminal. This way, DL related to terminals other than the one your airplane is located on, will not show, only a single Local set is ever loaded at any given time. This keeps the total number of DL active under control, to keep fps up.

As he says here your plane enters inside a boundaries (by the terminals) it should activate the lights by the airplane. It should be almost instant right?
Am i understanding this correctly?

And I don’t think this has been stated either could a reinstall of the scenery maybe fix the issue?!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:51:26 pm by General Aviation »

General Aviation

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 01:47:10 am »
I have created a video to show you the issue i am having  

Flying from KMKE -> KORD  not close to KORD to have it render other lights etc before getting to kord.

Time stamps are as follows
BOTH TIMES @ Gate F21

Hopefully this can help you find the issue with the dynamic lighting at KORD
for landing 1:56
Gate 6:00
ISSUE 7:00
Reload but FSDT crash 7:30
Reload and what it should look like 8:20

ones in bold are ones you need to see  look at the GROUND and AIRCRAFT
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:49:51 am by General Aviation »

american398

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2019, 03:25:25 pm »
Yes, General Aviation, this is the same issue I am having as well. Thanks for the great post.