Author Topic: KORD Night Lighting **SOLVED**  (Read 20260 times)

TheBosnianSee-saw

Re: KORD Night Lighting **SOLVED**
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 06:28:34 pm »
General Aviation, I couldn’t have put it better. Thanks for posting the video of the EXACT same issue I’m having. The DL is great at the new KORD but we want to see it after we land as well.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2019, 06:48:33 pm »
Your video shows you surely must have some kind of 3rd party lights enhancement, since I can see *hundreds* of lights on approach on roads, cities, which are not normally present.

Each of these light is an Effect, and there's a limit on the total number of effect the simulator can show at any given time. I'm not fully sure how many effects in total, but by default no more than 250 Dynamic Lights can be created. In fact, the Prepar3d.cfg file has two settings to control this limit:

MAX_POINT_LIGHTS=250
MAX_SPOT_LIGHTS=250

You might TRY to change these and see if it makes any difference.

About the maximum number of Effects ( the lights on roads are Effects lights not Dynamic Lights)  but wouldn't expect them to be "infinite" either and, which one are turned off/on when you go over the limit, is of course entirely outside our control, and it's even possible that too many regular Effects at once MIGHT affect the Dynamic Lights, which in fact *are* Effects, just with some extra parameters.

Also, you image is very dark, have you HDR turned off perhaps ?

american398

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 07:07:58 pm »
ok so if that were the case, the DL should not work when we load in as well correct? those "other lights" are still there even when we load directly into the airport.

jg7xman

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2019, 03:18:28 am »
Just landed at KORD - lights are off on all the terminals.
I ran the FSDT update manager before starting the flight - so what's the issue?

jg7xman

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2019, 03:40:10 am »
Just made a 16 hr from OMDB into a cold and dark KORD.  ??? >:( :-\

bhorv67

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2019, 02:48:24 pm »
So it seems this is intended behavior in how DL appears on arrival. I'm glad at least there's nothing wrong with the installation, or missing files.

There's certainly a difference in DL light cast when a flight arrives vs when it spawns at a gate. Other than the taxi/runway lights, the entire airport appears dark when arriving at night (and the green building glow) but I get why it's setup this way, and most likely a limitation to how P3d handles DL as a whole.

General Aviation

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2019, 08:50:50 pm »
Your video shows you surely must have some kind of 3rd party lights enhancement, since I can see *hundreds* of lights on approach on roads, cities, which are not normally present.

Each of these light is an Effect, and there's a limit on the total number of effect the simulator can show at any given time. I'm not fully sure how many effects in total, but by default no more than 250 Dynamic Lights can be created. In fact, the Prepar3d.cfg file has two settings to control this limit:

MAX_POINT_LIGHTS=250

MAX_SPOT_LIGHTS=250
Also, you image is very dark, have you HDR turned off perhaps ?

Yes I did use black marble night lighting and I flew into kord again without nightl ighting and same result . No I do not use HDR but I have enabled it to do a little bit of testing and with it on I’m still seeing this issue. Also I would like to point that when i uninstalled black marble I immediately got the black triangles issue witch I have only seen a few times. I did not get triangles with black marble installed

Any airport that you make should be compatible out of the box with the most common Addons

Editing the config file: yes I do know that prepar3d can only have so many dynamic lights at one time and I changed it to 500 and that made performance really bad and still did not fix the issue. but why aren’t KORD’s higher in priority while at the airport. I understand if they don’t work while flying over but once your on the ground they should be the top priority am I wrong?

And again I don’t know if it’s just me but I only have this issue at KORD V2 that’s it just very confused

Also what settings would you recommend to run the scenery in the graphics control panel in the sim. I use a 8700k,1080ti and 32gb of ram.

I think I can almost speak for everyone but what I look for in a scenery is simplicity. I don’t want to have to edit config files and stuff to make it work. It should just be a install and fly. (I understand if there are scenery settings that’s not what I’m getting at)

Thank you for keeping on top of this issue

EDIT
Just flew into KORD with the tweaks in prepar3d.cfg and i set it from 250 -> 500 no difference ^as i stated above and i uninstalled black marble and i still have as many lights as i did FYI.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:35:06 pm by General Aviation »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2019, 11:00:07 am »
ok so if that were the case, the DL should not work when we load in as well correct? those "other lights" are still there even when we load directly into the airport.

We don't have any control over the simulator own strategy to decide which and when DL are removed when the limit is reached.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2019, 11:09:26 am »
Yes I did use black marble night lighting and I flew into kord again without nightl ighting and same result . No I do not use HDR but I have enabled it to do a little bit of testing and with it on I’m still seeing this issue. Also I would like to point that when i uninstalled black marble I immediately got the black triangles issue witch I have only seen a few times. I did not get triangles with black marble installed

If installing and uninstalling that addon DID make a difference ( even if it appear to "improve" it ), it clearly proves KORD is not the problem, which of course has been proven already multiple times since:

- Only some users reported it, not the many thousands already bought KORD V2

AND

- Several users confirmed they have black triangles ELSEWHERE TOO.

So, it's quite clear the black triangles must be a problem of a specific combination of driver settings, simulator settings and installed add-ons that, for some reason, disappear with an add-on that doesn't have anything to do with KORD, but it's possible it has changed some setting that apparently "fixed" it. On YOUR system, of course, since the problem doesn't normally happen.

Any airport that you make should be compatible out of the box with the most common Addons

Nope. An airport should be compatible with the bare bone simulator installer and be made to SDK specs, and that's what KORD V2 obviously is, a purely 100% P3D4 NATIVE scenery.

It's clearly not possible for anybody to test a scenery with all the hundreds of add-ons, that's why we sell the scenery as Try-before-buy. Do ALL the other add-ons you have, one of which is surely the main cause of this problem, offer you this option ?

but why aren’t KORD’s higher in priority while at the airport. I understand if they don’t work while flying over but once your on the ground they should be the top priority am I wrong?

DL light priority is entirely outside our control, and I doubt is related in any way to the Scenery Library priority.

I think I can almost speak for everyone but what I look for in a scenery is simplicity. I don’t want to have to edit config files and stuff to make it work. It should just be a install and fly. (I understand if there are scenery settings that’s not what I’m getting at)

That's exactly how KORD works out of the box. But if you install lots of other add-ons, you are causing the complexity increase. We surely don't require more than 250 lights at KORD. In fact, the manual clearly explains how we managed to keep them to a MUCH lower count than any other add-on out there.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2019, 11:13:08 am »
yet I still don't get any DL from the canopy lights until I'm parked at the gate (and then only at that building). Arriving at night, the buildings are all dark.

Have you read the manual about DL, and all my previous posts ?

Those close-up light are SUPPOSED to behave like that and, incidentally, those are the only ones which are handled by our software, the ones you are missing are the ones we DO NOT manage, but are supposed to always work, since they are in a plain .BGL and handled by the simulator itself.

So, if you are really missing only the main global lights, and the only lights you see are those that appear when you are close to a gate, it means the only thing working correctly here is the FSDT software that handles dynamic lights, while the system handled by the simulator is not working for some reason, most likely caused by too many effects, due to other installed add-ons.

Have you installed 3rd party add-ons that "enhance" lights ?

General Aviation

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2019, 05:26:45 pm »

If installing and uninstalling that addon DID make a difference ( even if it appear to "improve" it ), it clearly proves KORD is not the problem, which of course has been proven already multiple times since:

- Only some users reported it, not the many thousands already bought KORD V2
Ok so if some are reporting it you should still look into it because almost no one uses the sim stock I would never consider making a add on that was not compatible with the most used common addons

So, it's quite clear the black triangles must be a problem of a specific combination of driver settings, simulator settings and installed add-ons that, for some reason, disappear with an add-on that doesn't have anything to do with KORD, but it's possible it has changed some setting that apparently "fixed" it. On YOUR system, of course, since the problem doesn't normally happen.

Yes that is very true and I agree to that but I have has this issue from a FULL REINSTALL on STOCK A settings in a stock sim.

Nope. An airport should be compatible with the bare bone simulator installer and be made to SDK specs, and that's what KORD V2 obviously is, a purely 100% P3D4 NATIVE scenery.

again very very few people if any use the sim without some kind of add on of any kind if I knew it wasn’t compatible due other addons using resources in the sim that would cause features not to work properly I would NOT have bought it!

It's clearly not possible for anybody to test a scenery with all the hundreds of add-ons, that's why we sell the scenery as Try-before-buy. Do ALL the other add-ons you have, one of which is surely the main cause of this problem, offer you this option ?

yes I do know that and it’s a great thing but when you get about 15 miles from the airport on app by the time your on the ground the trial ends and it’s pointless

but why aren’t KORD’s higher in priority while at the airport. I understand if they don’t work while flying over but once your on the ground they should be the top priority am I wrong?

DL light priority is entirely outside our control, and I doubt is related in any way to the Scenery Library priority.

Ok now thats good to know

That's exactly how KORD works out of the box. But if you install lots of other add-ons, you are causing the complexity increase. We surely don't require more than 250 lights at KORD. In fact, the manual clearly explains how we managed to keep them to a MUCH lower count than any other add-on out there.

Ok then why do I only has this issue at KORD V2

I have a few questions to ask if you say it works

Do a flight from the Gary/Chicago airport and just fly into KORD at night by the time selection and selecting NIGHT AIN THE DROP DOWN and taxi to a gate and WAIT post the full video because to this day you have not shown us pictures or video saying that YOU don’t see this issue.
Post your simulator settings in the video too

Secondly do you ever really “fly” load up in a airport with payware airplanes and fly into a airport yours or not yours. It does not seem like you understand how these little details are important to real simmers.

These would be appreciated thank you
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:58:12 pm by General Aviation »

jg7xman

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2019, 12:38:52 am »
All the buildings at KORD are dark - can't see them. Only runway and taxi lights work.

jg7xman

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2019, 12:54:04 am »
So what do I need to do to fix this?

General Aviation

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2019, 12:59:44 am »

He hasent said hes gonna fix it. The only way you can "Fix it" Is by using the DEFAULT simulator with nothing added into it. Its really disappointing

jg7xman

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2019, 01:05:50 am »

He hasent said hes gonna fix it. The only way you can "Fix it" Is by using the DEFAULT simulator with nothing added into it. Its really disappointing

Hey virtuali - That's OK if you don't want to. Can I go back to an older version that worked then bro?  :) KIAH works fine as the others.