Author Topic: Ground blending  (Read 3874 times)

OldOrchard512

Ground blending
« on: August 26, 2019, 01:47:37 am »
Hello -
Was wondering if there is any way I can get the ORD ground textures to blend better with my ORBX & Chicago City X ground tiles. Right now the transition is rather harsh to look at.

Thanks!
Tom Moretti

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Ground blending
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 01:39:41 pm »
Please confirm this is what you see, which for me seems like a very good transition:

OldOrchard512

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 01:07:42 pm »
It appears to be an issue with the shadows.  ORD ground textures dont seem to be accepting.

Tom Moretti

OldOrchard512

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 06:17:58 pm »
Also - would it be a big task to put rubber markings down on some of the runways?  I feel like thats always a nice touch.  10C/28C Should def be marked up a lot more as its used heavily for arrivals.  Not sure how much time it would take to do this  ???
Tom Moretti

stiarol

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 07:29:58 pm »
You need to activate shadows on simulation objects for the ground to receive shadows. This happens on most addon airports as far as I know.

OldOrchard512

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 12:21:33 am »
You need to activate shadows on simulation objects for the ground to receive shadows. This happens on most addon airports as far as I know.

Huh.. that’s strange - all of my other sceneries will accept shadows without sim object shadows enabled.

Will try it out.

Thanks!
Tom Moretti

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 11:48:35 am »
Also - would it be a big task to put rubber markings down on some of the runways?  I feel like thats always a nice touch.  10C/28C Should def be marked up a lot more as its used heavily for arrivals.  Not sure how much time it would take to do this  ???

There are ground rubber markings all all the runways, of course.

OldOrchard512

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 02:41:36 pm »
Also - would it be a big task to put rubber markings down on some of the runways?  I feel like thats always a nice touch.  10C/28C Should def be marked up a lot more as its used heavily for arrivals.  Not sure how much time it would take to do this  ???

There are ground rubber markings all all the runways, of course.

Was looking for something a little more prominent.. see below picture taken from a video.

https://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n162/MDN447/marking.jpg
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:55:36 pm by virtuali »
Tom Moretti

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 03:00:08 pm »
We surely know how strong rubbermarks looks like but, as usual, this was made for performance reasons.

They way they are now, the cost 0% in performances, since they are embedded in the runway texture itself, so no extra polygons are added. If we made them as in real like, they would require

- extra textures that would cover a big (if not all) part of the runway, to represent their changing shape along the path

- extra polygons to map the extra textures

Semi transparent ground polygons drawn on top of other Semi transparent ground polygons can be quite expensive to draw, especially with anti aliasing, that's why we opted for a more subdued effect, which costs 0% in fps.

OldOrchard512

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 03:12:39 pm »
Ok no worries- thanks for the explanation.
Tom Moretti