Author Topic: scenery.cfg add?  (Read 3089 times)

bhorv67

scenery.cfg add?
« on: August 25, 2019, 05:24:52 am »
Gents, fantastic job!! It was worth the wait.

As a personal choice, I'd prefer to have all my scenery added in the 'scenery.cfg' method instead of xml. This for me helps a lot with load times and general performance.
In most cases, I'm able to do this manually for airports that are installed using xml, by adding the library entries myself.
However with KORD v2, I'm not getting dynamic lighting and possibly a few other effects after I've removed the folder in P3d Addons, and added the airport manually.

I'm sure this is because I don't have a folder added somewhere - what would you recommend? thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: scenery.cfg add?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 03:06:55 pm »
Please clarify what you think a scenery loaded from the scenery.cfg could be any faster than the same scenery loaded through the add-on.xml

If with "loading times and performances", you mean you might decide to turn it off if not used for the current flight, you can do exactly that even with the add-on.xml format and, in fact, it's even easier, since the whole add-on will turn off ( scenery, texture, effects, scripts, etc. ) even without having to restart the sim, just enable/disable it from the OPTIONS->Add-Ons menu.

bhorv67

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 07:30:56 pm »
I'm trying to keep my entire library in the scenery.cfg format. Over the past year, many developers have been transitioning to xml. While I don't fully understand the technical goings on in P3d when xml based scenery entries are used, I can tell you that when I did have all my scenery added in this way, load times were exponentially longer, I was getting constant stutters / long frames and I was experiencing ctd's fairly regularly.
In attempting to solve my ctd issues, I was suggested by another developer to move all my scenery back to the scenery.cfg method. Once I did, my load times are much faster and I can't recall the last time I had a ctd (well, it was before I made this change). I have no long frames at long - frankly, this is the best performance I've had in p3d I think ever.

I'm not suggesting that there wasn't some other underlying issue that was causing my problems, but it sure seems that moving back to the direct library entry has solved a lot of that for me.

Normally, this change can be made fairly simply, by removing the folder placed in the p3d addons folder, and then directly adding the scenery within the library manager. For some reason, when I did this with the new KORD, I think the dynamic lighting was not on at the airport. For now, I just reinstalled and now I have it as the only xml scenery in my rig. So far I'm not experiencing any problems, but I think the issue I was having was from the many scenery and airports I had, all being added by xml, and collectively causing problems.

american398

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 10:52:40 pm »
Yes, I believe there is a way to put KORD V2 in the regular p3d scenery library if you wish. All you have to do is delete the XML folder located in your documents/Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder. Then you can add it to the P3D scenery library. the scenery and texture folders should be in a folder called "KORD V2" located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam. At least this is the way it is on my setup. I know this is a rough tutorial so let me know if i can assist you more.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:14:52 pm by virtuali »

bhorv67

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 01:58:59 am »
Thanks - I'm familiar with how to put the scenery in the library, my question was why I'm not getting dynamic lighting when using this method. Not sure if there's something specific about this airport that is dependent on the xml process, which is why I'm having that issue.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:15:02 pm by virtuali »

american398

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 03:21:47 pm »
Its possible that it is tied to the xml.

I would make sure dynamic lighting is checked on within p3d.
Also check the addon manager within the sim. There might be an option for dynamic lighting under kord v2.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 12:14:34 pm »
Nothing will work correctly at KORD V2 if you stop using the add-on.xml format, because the file adds other extra folders to the path, like Effects ( for DL ), Scripts ( for a lot of things ) and Sounds.

You would likely have to copy all these files in the simulator own folders ( Scripts, Effects, etc.). but this will prevent your ability to get updates. For example, we just fixed the DL issue at the airport while arriving, but if you installed your way, you wouldn't get the fix, because the update will only update files in our local folder so, you should copy files manually each time, and when we delete a file in an update (happens too), you would have to sync the deletion too.

Don't do that, please. If you do, understand we cannot offer you support any longer.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:17:38 pm by virtuali »