Author Topic: FSDT Live Update keeps updating  (Read 3197 times)

havenman

FSDT Live Update keeps updating
« on: August 23, 2019, 12:28:54 pm »
Every time I check the live updater it re-updates some 371 steps. Not just checking but also downloading and installing.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT Live Update keeps updating
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 03:46:35 pm »
It's normal it will to through all 371 steps, because "going through a step" means check if that step requires some action, so it checks each and every file on your system and compare them to the latest version on our server.

It's NOT normal, instead, that it would keep downloading the same stuff over and over. Normally, you do a Live Update and, if you do it again immediately, it shouldn't download anything else.

This is usually caused by:

- Your firewall or antivirus blocking the connection, possibly of some files only. If something cannot be downloaded on a try, the updater will try to download it again the next time, because it *knows* your local file is older than the one on the server, so it tries to download it again, not succeeding because your firewall/antivirus is blocking it.

OR

- A delay in the node of the Cloudflare network closer to you to update with the latest version of our files. There are more than 170 servers around the world, and the one the updater will use is entirely outside our control, it's done at the server level on the Cloudflare network. We noticed some of the servers are not as fast as others to get the latest update, but usually after a day or two, everything goes in sync again.

However, after a major update, we usually recompile all the installers, so if you have issues with the Live Update or you don't want to wait for all servers to catch up, you can try getting the latest files by downloading the latest GSX full installer again, which has been updated yesterday, following the KORD V2 release.

havenman

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 10:45:20 am »
Thanks for the extensive reply.
Installed the new GSX full installer.
Things seem to be ok now but I now have a Couatl-Updater.exe AND Couatl_updater2.exe, is that correct?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 11:02:00 am »
Things seem to be ok now but I now have a Couatl-Updater.exe AND Couatl_updater2.exe, is that correct?

Yes, the first one is the one you start from the icon, which doesn't do anything other than downloading (if required) the most recent version of the 2nd one, which does the actual job. This way, the updater can also "update itself"

havenman

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 09:44:15 am »
Just to make sure things are as they should be. I updated yesterday and again this morning. I invariably get the "Downloading file D:.......\_init_.pye" screen (see picture). Then later on items for ChicagoV2 are downloaded. Perhaps these are new or extra files and nothing to worry about but, well just to let you know

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 03:01:36 pm »
Just to make sure things are as they should be. I updated yesterday and again this morning. I invariably get the "Downloading file D:.......\_init_.pye" screen (see picture). Then later on items for ChicagoV2 are downloaded. Perhaps these are new or extra files and nothing to worry about but, well just to let you know

That's normal as well, each time we do an update, in this case for KORD. The ONLY time you must be worried is if you run the Live Update once and, if you run it immediately thereafter, it still downloading stuff, over and over.

havenman

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 07:11:22 pm »
Thanks for the reassuring answers!