Author Topic: Running live update deletes my custom YVR ADE, without replacing it  (Read 8869 times)

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
 There is more to it than that. I run live update which gives me the option to replace my CYVR_AP.bgl file to which I select no. What used to then happen is that it would skip my ADE file and continue on the update process.. Lately, however, it then just deletes my file, leaving no ADE in its place at all.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Running live update deletes my custom YVR ADE, without replacing it
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 11:40:04 am »
Fixed by running the FSDT Live Update now.

blaunarwal

• Computerpilot since FS4 (1990)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 04:35:32 pm »
Did you also fix replacing custom textures by the updater?

Dan

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 05:17:19 pm »
 I just ran the live update again and it did the same thing. I had the YVR folder open at the same time and watched it disappear after I said that I don't want it replaced.

On a side note, I have also heavily modified IAH, LSGG, PHOG, and PHNL AFX files and keep the same filename but Liveupdate doesn't give me a choice to replace, it just downloads the default FSDT version without making a backup of my file first. It's not the worst thing that it could do, but it's still a pita.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 05:57:47 pm »
I just ran the live update again and it did the same thing. I had the YVR folder open at the same time and watched it disappear after I said that I don't want it replaced.

I can only repeat and confirm it doesn't do that. In fact, I made additional safety checks in this update, but the file wasn't removed in the previous version as well.

However, if you *name* your custom AFCAD using a different name than the FSDT one, it WILL be deleted in any case so, if you want to keep it and not being overwritten, it must have the same name as the one that comes originally with the scenery.

This is important because, if you change the name, the GSX customization we supply for our sceneries won't be loaded, so everything will work "as default" and, in case of CYVR and any scenery we did GSX/SODE jetways, this will lose all jetways.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 06:00:48 pm »
Did you also fix replacing custom textures by the updater?

What do you mean with "fix", as if this was a "problem" of the updater ?

Of course textures will be replaced, and opposite to the AFCAD, they don't enjoy a special recognition and won't be offered to do a backup. But as already explained so many times on the forum, you can prevent *any* folder from being updated, by placing a dummy file named DONTUPDATE in the folder you don't want to be updated.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 08:40:44 pm »

I can only repeat and confirm it doesn't do that. In fact, I made additional safety checks in this update, but the file wasn't removed in the previous version as well.

However, if you *name* your custom AFCAD using a different name than the FSDT one, it WILL be deleted in any case so, if you want to keep it and not being overwritten, it must have the same name as the one that comes originally with the scenery.

The Live Update deleting the YVR file is now fixed as you said, it must have been a delay in the update to the servers as you mentioned in another thread. The replacing airport files without asking at PHOG, PHNL, KIAH, and LSGG however, is still occurring. I also always keep my ade filenames the same as how FSDT labels them and it still does it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 11:45:15 pm »
I think there's an issue with some upper/lowercase filename that, while on the server matter, on Windows they can change with not effects. Try again a Live Update, there's a version that should take that into account.

blaunarwal

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 08:49:00 am »
You shouldn´t  be personnally annoyed just  because I wrote fix. It is not a personal attack on you. I changed some textures to reflect the runway number changes in LSGG. Everytime, when I run the updater, it replaces them with the original ones. I then have to copy in again the modified ones. If LSGG was updatet once in the last 7 years, this wasn´t  necessary.

Since today, I got a new problem with the updater, crahshing right after start. I did not touch anything on it since the last update:

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:40:32 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 11:44:29 am »
You shouldn´t  be personnally annoyed just  because I wrote fix. It is not a personal attack on you.

I wasn't obviously annoyed, it's just that you shouldn't have the wrong "fix" term, when there's just nothing to fix. There's even nothing to *change* too, because there's a feature (DONTUPDATE file) which was made exactly for that reason.

I changed some textures to reflect the runway number changes in LSGG. Everytime, when I run the updater, it replaces them with the original ones. I then have to copy in again the modified ones. If LSGG was updatet once in the last 7 years, this wasn´t  necessary.

Then it means this particular case is a PERFECT fit for the feature the updater already has, which is the usage of a DONTUPDATE file, since it's a scenery that hasn't been updated in a while.

Since today, I got a new problem with the updater, crahshing right after start. I did not touch anything on it since the last update:

That has been fixed too, of course.

blaunarwal

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 01:26:49 pm »
you can prevent *any* folder from being updated, by placing a dummy file named DONTUPDATE in the folder you don't want to be updated.

I have read this before but couldn´t refind it in the manual nor the forum. So now I make use of it. Thanks

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 09:23:58 am »
 Running LiveUpdate (August 10, 0720z) and it still replaces my PHNL, KIAH and LSGG airport files with the same filename as they came with the FSDT scenery without asking if I would like them replaced or not.

blaunarwal

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 11:07:18 am »
Running LiveUpdate (August 10, 0720z) and it still replaces my PHNL, KIAH and LSGG airport files with the same filename as they came with the FSDT scenery without asking if I would like them replaced or not.

You have to place the DONTUPDATE file inside the directory, in the scenery directory, in the texture directory not above.

Dan

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 06:45:30 pm »

You have to place the DONTUPDATE file inside the directory, in the scenery directory, in the texture directory not above.

I want the other files for the airports updated, just not the airport afx file. The updater is supposed to ask you if you want the new airport file like it does for all of the other airports.

sticky1202

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 01:34:23 pm »
Just to confirm, your personal (edited) file has the same name as the original file?

Jim B