Author Topic: Row of Bumps  (Read 10036 times)

WictorWictor

Row of Bumps
« on: August 08, 2019, 01:36:02 am »
Hello,

I recently bought this addon for P3Dv4.5, and am seeing some bumps on the ground when taxiing:

https://i.imgur.com/BMHhHrr.jpg

I ran the orbx vector elevation correction scan and disabled KDFW afterwards, but it still seems to be showing up.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:40:53 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Row of Bumps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 11:42:31 am »
That's because you set the Mesh complexity too high, and if the setting in the sim is higher than the highest mesh in the area, you'll have these rounding artifacts caused by oversampling. As explained in the KDFW manual, in the "Design Notes" section, the suggested setting for KDFW are 10 or 5 meters/pixel, but not higher than that.

drego22

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 08:21:56 pm »
I have my mesh setting at 1 and still  have the obstructions on the bridge, do I nee to increase it?
Andre Chambers

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 10:34:44 pm »
I have my mesh setting at 1 and still  have the obstructions on the bridge, do I nee to increase it?

As I've said:  the suggested setting for KDFW are 10 or 5 meters/pixel, but not higher than that.

p3dx3

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 01:29:37 am »
I have my mesh setting at 1 and still  have the obstructions on the bridge, do I nee to increase it?

As I've said:  the suggested setting for KDFW are 10 or 5 meters/pixel, but not higher than that.

Most of your scenery has this problem like KLAX can you please go through and update the mesh so 1m setting does not cause errors? A lot of scenery today is starting to suggest 1m mesh. Flightbeam Manager gives an error warning meto set mesh to 1-2m
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:07:01 am by 413x3 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 04:35:00 pm »
Most of your scenery has this problem like KLAX can you please go through and update the mesh so 1m setting does not cause errors? A lot of scenery today is starting to suggest 1m mesh.

You don't understand. It's not something in our mesh which cause the problem. We haven't put *those* bumps there, OUR mesh, in that place, is entirely flat. What really cause the problem is:

- Another mesh, which hasn't been properly flatted to remove ground noise, etc.

OR

- Rounding problems in the simulator, which creates spikes when oversampling a mesh

The "solution", which is obviously wrong, would be that we should eventually create a "fake" mesh, entirely flat, just to WIN against any other faulty mesh you might have underneath, which of course is a waste of resources ( mesh takes memory and CPU processing, and each LOD level higher is 4x bigger than the previous one ), just to flatten everything else you might have.

p3dx3

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 12:57:54 pm »
What about this suggestion?
You could create a 1m mesh for the area of your airport and that would be the highest priority overriding any other mesh and its errors.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:34:34 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 10:39:05 pm »
You could create a 1m mesh for the area of your airport and that would be the highest priority overriding any other mesh and its errors.

That's precisely the solution I have labeled as wrong because, you must understand that, a fake mesh with a "nominal" higher resolution than everything conceivable ( and what about if tomorrow another "higher" mesh comes out ? ), will have to be LOADED IN RAM, and the simulator would still have to process it and it's a very well known fact, the higher the mesh to be loaded, the more it takes for the sim to render it at it's full resolution, since meshes are loaded in steps ( LODs ), so the more LODs there are, the more it takes for the mesh to be progressively "build up", so the cure would be even worse than the problem, because when the mesh is still building up, you might even crash into it, the known "invisible wall" problem, and the more you crank the resolution up, the worse it will be.