Author Topic: Registered copy now showing up as "trial version"  (Read 5580 times)

CM1924

Registered copy now showing up as "trial version"
« on: July 22, 2019, 04:50:07 am »
I purchased a new copy of KDFW (FSX Acceleration) in December after getting a new PC and losing my old proof of purchase.  Anyways, it's been running great until earlier today when I fired it up, and the terminals/runways, etc were missing and a "You've started KDFW trial mode" banner scrolling at the top.  I checked Addon Manager and it also says "trial version".  If I click to register the copy, it still has my license key entered, but fails to register it and it remains in trial mode.
I've run every update I can think of:

- COUATL update from in the sim via the dropdown menu.  This resulted in both of the COUATL items in the menu disappearing and I can't get them to show up any more.
- FSDT Live Update from the desktop
- I uninstalled FSDT, Addon Manager, and COUATL with the included uninstaller, and reinstalled with antivirus turned off.  Then ran FSX with antivirus off, and it still shows it as trial version.  This also did not restore the in-game drop down menu items for COUATL.

I haven't installed any new software or addons.  It literally worked one day.  I went on vacation for a few days, came home, and the very next time I fired up the sim, this was the condition.

Any next steps to try or am I up the creek without a paddle on this one? 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Registered copy now showing up as "trial version"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 03:29:32 pm »
- COUATL update from in the sim via the dropdown menu.  This resulted in both of the COUATL items in the menu disappearing and I can't get them to show up any more.

That's the issue. Without Couatl running, nothing will work.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the whole Add-on Manager folder from scanning.

- Try the Live Update again, or reinstall GSX using its most current installer, to be found under the "Products and Downloads" page of our site.

If that still doesn't work, the thread named "Addon Manager not showing up in P3Dv4 **SOLVED**" thread lists all the known solutions for missing menu entries from the "Addons" menu:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,17484.msg122656.html#msg122656

Even if the title says P3D4, the solutions are valid for FSX as well.

CM1924

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 01:58:46 am »
I have excluded the entire Addon Folder from my anti virus as instructed, then I ran the Live Update, which appeared to download/install 2 files, but no improvement in the sim.  I looked at the forum you have linked, but after updating all the VC++s that I can, it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem, either.  I noticed when I had tried to run the COUATL updated from the sim, there was a clickable option to "disable"  i don't believe I clicked this, but if that's the case, is there an equally simple way to re-enable it?  My suspicion is that it won't update the COUATL because it's already updated, but just disabled.  Also, I never had GSX installed.  I'm not inclined to purchase more software to fix one that was working previously, but I'm wondering if the absence of GSX could be preventing the update from working properly?

CM1924

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 05:34:47 pm »
I've exhausted all options that I can find online from here and other sources, and nothing is working. 

What do I have to do to completely uninstall FSDT KDFW and all of its corresponding softwares and registry entries so that I can reinstall properly?  All of my previous re-install attempts seem to have failed because it retains, what I'm assuming, are registry entries as it already has my product key entered when I start it the first time.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 11:08:58 am »
Registry keys don't have anything to do with your problem. At least not the one related to FSDT.

If your Windows installation has issues like those explained in the linked thread, a reinstall of the scenery won't help, since the installer is not able/supposed to fix any possible problem in Windows (we would start selling it as a system repair, if it could do that...).

I noticed when I had tried to run the COUATL updated from the sim, there was a clickable option to "disable"  i don't believe I clicked this, but if that's the case, is there an equally simple way to re-enable it?

Try to remove these files:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatladdons.ini
%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.ini
%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Keymappings.ini

CM1924

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 03:23:17 am »
Try to remove these files:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatladdons.ini
%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.ini
%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Keymappings.ini

Those files aren't present in the Virtuali folder, so I'm unable to remove what isn't there.
 :(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 11:27:31 am »
Those files aren't present in the Virtuali folder, so I'm unable to remove what isn't there.

Then you can proceed with a clean installation.

CM1924

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 01:35:41 am »
Ok, so I performed a reinstall of the KDFW scenery and now the COUATL menu items appear on the in-game add-ons dropdown menu once again.  But the airport still appears without terminals in "trial mode". 

CM1924

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 01:45:33 am »
Just for clarity sake, this is FSX boxed with Acceleration.  i'm running it on Win10.  The anti-virus is Kaspersky, and I've created an exclusion for C:/ProgramFiles (X86)/Addon Manager/   

From that point, i ran the FSDT Live Update.  It appears to update 2 COUATL files in a split second then disappears.

Unfortunately, it still starts the airport in trial mode. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 03:05:55 pm »
Unfortunately, it still starts the airport in trial mode. 

As I've said, if Couatl is not starting, everything will report Trial mode. However, you said you performed a "clean" KDFW reinstall. Have you installed GSX as well ?

If you have, try this:

open the Notepad and type the following on a new blank file:

logFile=couatl.log

(please note logFile is written beginning with a lower case L and a capital F )

- Save the file as couatl.ini in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder

- Delete %PROGRAMDATA%\Virtuali again

- Run the sim, then exit after it disappear after the cache recreation.

- Check your %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder and if there's a Couatl.LOG file there, post its content

- DO NOT copy the file in a message, but use the "Attach" function of the forum to ZIP the log file and Attach it to a post.

CM1924

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 05:45:12 pm »
Yes, this is a clean KDFW reinstall.

I do not have GSX installed, unless it installs with KDFW automatically.  I never purchased it on its own.  I've been using KDFW for almost 2 years, now and haven't needed it.

Since I haven't, will  your logFile instructions not be helpful?  Or should I try those anyways?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 10:32:25 pm »
GSX is free to use at all our airports, and we basically stop testing them without it so, install it first, then try my last suggestion if that doesn't work.

CM1924

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 05:45:09 am »
That was it!   Once GSX was installed, it took a while to update everything, but the airport looks fine and doesn't show trial mode any more!

Thanks for all your help and patience on this one!