Author Topic: Virus?  (Read 19666 times)

HiFlyer

Virus?
« on: August 29, 2009, 11:58:00 am »
 :'(

As the happy purchaser  of 4 new sceneries I have been quite happy with your products. Mcafee Antivirus however, is apparently not a big fan, and when I started FSX this morning Mcafee proudly announced the successful blocking and deletion of a Virus: Namely, Coatl.Exe at which point I found, sure enough, that all of my Fsdreamteam sceneries are now invisible.

Uhmmmm..... Help?  :'(
i7 920 @ 3.8ghz \ Coolermaster V8 Cpu Cooler \ Asus P6T Deluxe
Nvidia 280 Gpu \ 6 Gigs Corsair Ram \ Vista 64
X-Fi Extreme Music Audio
AntecTruepower Quattro 850w Psu \ Klipsch Thx Audio Speakers
Gateway FPD2485w 24' Monitor

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Virus?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 12:12:39 pm »
There's nothing we can do on our side, if an antivirus wrongly decides that, the same program that always worked up to the day before, has now become a virus, the program it's obviously wrong, and need to be fixed.

That's why almost all antivirus software have options to disable a certain file from scanning. The issue is, I think that McAfee, in the personal edition of the product, has stopped to include this crucial feature. I don't know if the fixed it, because it's a wrong design decision. I'm not sure of this, but I've heard the same problem on Flight1's forum, that McAfee detected their software as a virus, but doesn't offer the chance for the user to exclude the file from scanning and fix false positive reports.

If your version can do this, you should be ok by adding the FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe file to the excluded files list, otherwise I don't see any other option than to switching to different antivirus, like the free AVG for example, that has this option even in the free version.

Note that, ALL our programs, including Couatl.exe, are digitally signed from us. This means, you can check the program integrity by right-clicking on it, select "Properties" and check the Digital Signature. If this one is reported as valid, you can be sure the executable hasn't been altered in any way. If it catched a virus (for example, one that was already in your system and attached to it), the digital signature would not be valid anymore so, you have a mean to ensure the file is clean, even without using the antivirus.

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 05:32:52 pm »
 :(

Well, I guess I will try Uninstalling and reinstalling first, and see what happens.....
X-Fi Extreme Music Audio

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:40:24 pm »
Well, I guess I will try Uninstalling and reinstalling first, and see what happens...

I don't think it will change much. The most important thing is to be able to exclude the Couatl.exe file from scanning, which is usually the easiest thing to do, if your antivirus allows it. Or, you need to keep the antivirus entierly disabled when running FSX and when installing the sceneries, if you are reinstalling.

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 06:26:47 pm »
Well I scared myself for a second! Couldn't find the receipt and serial numbers in my mailbox till I finally did a search under the name Virtuali!  ;D

I will fiddle with my Antivirus after the install.
X-Fi Extreme Music Audio

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 08:14:43 pm »
All you need to do is download and run any installer to replace coatl.exe, why uninstall?   ;)
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

HiFlyer

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 08:31:39 pm »
 :( :( :(

Now I can't even install anything. Mcafee identifies Fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe as Virus Artemis!4F84091d8556 and removes it immediately.  :'(
X-Fi Extreme Music Audio

skimmer

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 08:53:22 pm »
I had problems with Mcafee ,same as you and then some. Try turning all of mcafee off including the Utilities,if you have it,then dwnload and install.Do not run it when useing sim. Eventualy I told Mcafee about problem and got my money back and uninstalled all of it. Mcaffe also interfered with graphics when sim was running. I then got the free firewall and antivirus program from AVG and havent had any problems like those or the ones you have since.

HiFlyer

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 09:18:51 pm »
Well now here is the weird part. Despite the Mcafee block and remove, the Airport I installed (JFK) seems to be running fine except that the Airport ground textures look awful.
X-Fi Extreme Music Audio

JFKpilot

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 09:38:34 pm »
Well now here is the weird part. Despite the Mcafee block and remove, the Airport I installed (JFK) seems to be running fine except that the Airport ground textures look awful.

The blurred ground is actually not so weird in the fsx version of JFK, and has nothing to do with the antivirus. It's the infamous "blurries". You probably have your settings too high or lack anisotropic filtering. The topic was discussed to death here...http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1260.0. A comparision of how the ground should look and how it shouldn't...
If you are saying the top pic is awful then that's another story, but it still has nothing to do with the antivirus.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 10:06:42 pm by JFKpilot »
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  -James Dickey

HiFlyer

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 11:12:00 pm »
Thank you JFKpilot. With that hint, for the settings, I have things sorted. Next I will attempt to install the other 3 sceneries and see what happens.

Still not Sure exactly what Mcafee thinks its doing, and why the scenery seems to work fine despite The exe supposedly being deleted/blocked...........  ???

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.....
X-Fi Extreme Music Audio

HiFlyer

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 02:49:41 am »
Ok I have re-installed all my Fsdreamteam scenery's and at each installation Mcafee says it is has successfully cleaned/deleted the Exe.

Yet each scenery now seems to be up and working correctly.........

Totally confusing.
X-Fi Extreme Music Audio

skimmer

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 05:03:42 am »
As JFK said ,anti virus has nothing to do with how blurries are,thats all in game and or graphic card settings. I had the trees and other ground texures stretching into the sky and other things. After I and a comp shop sorted out problems it all came down to Mcafee. I totaly removed it and the problems all disappeared.

donja

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 03:50:43 pm »
I uninstalled McAfee too and it solved my problems ...in fact, I think I'm getting a few extra FPS now.  I don't know if it had anything to do with how McAfee operates as much as probably deleting it just freed up some system resources.

HiFlyer

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 12:25:40 am »
Well, everything seems to be working fine now. I am not sure what the heck was going on! The scenerys all reinstalled (apparently sans the exe if you believe Mcafee) and no problems so far. I didn't even need to reinput the serials, which is cool.

I will keep an eye on it to see if anything else funky happens.
X-Fi Extreme Music Audio