Author Topic: Loud truck engine sound  (Read 10076 times)

disco79stu

Loud truck engine sound
« on: July 01, 2019, 11:48:41 pm »
Hi,

I want to get rid of the very loud truck engine sound when I'm on external view, but I can't find the file that is responsible.
I already renamed (muted) all engine and idle sounds, plus the annoying beeping of the forklifts, but there is still a diesel-like truck idle sound left.

Unfortunately, since you can't set the volume for different types of sound individually, I have to get rid of the files completely.

Can anyone tell me where the file might be?

BG
Stu
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 08:54:44 pm by disco79stu »

thomasfa

Re: Loud truck engine sound
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 07:47:27 am »
Hello,

This truck noise also bothers me a lot. Especially when I am in the cockpit, this noise is too loud.
I hope there is a solution for this.

Thomas
Best regards - Beste Gruesse
Thomas Faller

a2h

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:19:12 am »
Same for me. Both luggage trucks sound like a piston engine.

I remember on previous versions some users (me including) had this sound coming from the fuel-truck. Now on my end the fueltruck is fine, but instead the luggage trucks make this loud noise.

Well anyways. I am really happy and thankful for this free update. So kudos to the FSDT guys!
MSFS Microsoft Marketplace Version
----
GSX Pro, My replacement assistance trucks

disco79stu

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 11:08:44 am »
The sound is permanent and starts a soon as I call for anything (deboarding in my case). No fuel truck present. I had the feeling the sound comes from the luggage vehicles but as I said, I renamed all wav files in the sound folder that sounded like a engine. Still this particular engine sound persists.
Is it maybe hardcoded into the system?? 

a2h

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 12:32:57 pm »
... Is it maybe hardcoded into the system??

What I remember from older posts, some gsx vehicles may be based on entities which the sim treats as  A.I. air traffic. Therefore the sound comes from the sims base sound folder (stock simobjects). I would not recommend, but if this still applies, you would have to rename/mute all those stock simobjects sound files.

Personally I can live with that and maybe the team has some idea what could be done about that.

My suggestion is to lower the volume in the GSX menu (press and hold ALT) and select gsx in the addon category until a fix or update is available.
----

disco79stu

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 01:32:33 pm »
Lowering the GSX volume will of course also lower the ground crew sounds, which I want to keep.
If some of the trucks are actually using default AI sounds as you said, maybe I can look there and find the old diesel sound to mute it.

a2h

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 01:49:57 pm »
I found this old solution. I might give it a try later: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,9643.0.html
----

disco79stu

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 02:29:26 pm »
Interesting, I‘ll try that later too.

Thanks

disco79stu

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 09:42:53 pm »
So, there HAS to be something wrong here, because I can hear the sound even with the GSX volume slider all the way down!

The sound starts (as mentioned before) only when I call for a service and i really loud.

Anyone has any idea what that could be?

disco79stu

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 10:18:48 pm »
And yes, it sounds like a piston engine plane. When I pan around it sometimes get higher in pitch (the more above I get, the higher rpm it sounds).
I can't figure out where it's coming from exactly and it definitely sounds like a small plane.

I checked every sound file in the sound folder but I can't find it.

Please help!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 10:27:34 pm by disco79stu »

disco79stu

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 10:35:34 pm »
Sorry for flooding this topic, but I just realized the sound seizes after deboarding is done. So it seems to be the baggage trucks that are causing this.

All other service vehicles (catering, pushback, belts) seem to have a "normal" engine sound that respond to the volume setting.

A soon as I call for boarding again, the piston sound starts again (and will not respond to the volume setting in the gsx settings)

EDIT: I narrowed it down to the ...\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Sound folder. When I remove this folder temporarily, the strange loud piston-engine sound doesn't play when I call for deboadring, while all other GSX-sound work perfectly.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:51:08 pm by disco79stu »

a2h

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 01:45:28 am »
EDIT: I narrowed it down to the ...\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Sound folder. When I remove this folder temporarily, the strange loud piston-engine sound doesn't play when I call for deboadring, while all other GSX-sound work perfectly.

Thanks for sharing! Why do you say sorry? This is for the greater good, as me and most certainly others will benefit from this  :)

You found the poodles core, It has to be those files here: https://imgur.com/a/YRNG1Wn

More intresting would be, what addon or software is causing our GSX & sims to behave like that? I doubt that more than 50% of the users have this issue, or do they?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 01:50:13 am by a2h »
----

okupton

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 04:11:13 am »
I’ve got this issue too. Was thinking about it in my last flight while doing preflight. Sounded like a truck stop in the cockpit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonathan_f

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 07:33:44 am »
I also have the same issue, where I hear the piston sound from the vehicles.

disco79stu

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 07:56:30 am »
You found the poodles core, It has to be those files here: https://imgur.com/a/YRNG1Wn

I didn't try renaming those files yet, but I am not quite sure that they are the ones used by GSX. I also suspected them by name but they sound a little different... But I'll try later.

Anyway, in my case I can state that

a) GSX for some reason (either by design or by accident) uses a small plane piston enginge sound for the baggage trucks. When the baggage trucks leave, everything is ok.

b) this sound is unaffected by the volume setting in the GSX menu

c) this sound file sits somewhere in the P3D \sound folder

I wasn't able to figure out how to set a different sound for the baggage trucks.
Anyway, I'll try to identify the exact sound file later and deactivate it.

But maybe one of the devs wanna chime in here....?