Author Topic: About Selection of Ground Operator  (Read 8028 times)

tszchun_anson

About Selection of Ground Operator
« on: June 26, 2019, 05:54:10 am »
Hi!

According to manual:

Starting with version 1.9.5, GSX will allow you to manually select between all matching operators available in an airport, instead of always select at random between the
highest scoring ones. As soon as you select a service, a menu will show all the operators that are allowed on the airport, with an indication of what GSX would choose by
default.

I am not sure why the menu does not pop up everytime when I select a service. The gate the aircraft is parked was assigned airline codes ("airlinecodes = HAS,JASG,SATS").

It appears that I should add a column "atc_parking_codes = HAS" in aircraft.cfg (column currently not yet there) in case I want this particular aircraft to be always loaded with containers with HAS logo, according to page 56 of the manual.

However, in this post http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,17547.msg123020.html#msg123020 . You mention atc_parking_codes has nothing to do with ground operator. Then, if I want HAS always to be my ground operator for this particular aircraft in this particular airport, what should I do?

Sorry that I am confused.

Thanks,
Anson

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: About Selection of Ground Operator
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 10:46:16 am »
There's nothing contradictory between the manual and the post you linked. The atc_parking_code in the aircraft.cfg, as explained in the manual, only affect the choice of ULD loaders, and doesn't have any effect on the ground operator.

The ground operator, instead, is chosen using a scoring system that takes into account the couatl.icao_prefixes lines in the SIM.CFG of all GSX vehicles. Only the operator with the highest match will be show.

The atc_parking_code in the *scenery* (AFCAD), are used ONLY as "tie-breakers" of ground operators having the same score. This means, if the scenery has set for a certain parking atc_parking codes that don't match anything in the GSX vehicles for that airport, they won't do anything. To see an operator, it must have some score for that airport in the GSX vehicles files and, if there are many, only the one with the highest score will be chosen. The atc_parking_codes will enter into play only to break ties.

However, with the GSX customization page, you can use the "Airline codes" parameter and, in this case, the codes specified there will take precedence over everything else. But you must set them YOURSELF. If you don't do that, the ones from the scenery AFCAD will be shown, as an information, but they will only work as tie-breakers. It's only after you *edit* the field, they'll become real overrides, directly affecting the choice of operators, regardless of the default scoring system.

tszchun_anson

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 11:52:12 am »

The atc_parking_code in the *scenery* (AFCAD), are used ONLY as "tie-breakers" of ground operators having the same score.

i would like to make sure I get it right. Aren't the codes pre-filled in the "Airline codes" field in GSX customisation page read from bgl file of the scenery? Is that bgl file what you mean by "AFCAD"?

tszchun_anson

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 12:44:28 pm »
It's only after you *edit* the field, they'll become real overrides, directly affecting the choice of operators, regardless of the default scoring system.

Let's take airport VHHH as an example. The scenery BGL file specifies atc_parking_codes for all different stands/gates which are displayed in corresponding GSX gate config page. There is another file SIM.cfg which contains the codes and scores of different GSX ground vehicles. Let's assume HAS and SATS score the same in SIM.cfg. If atc_parking_codes of a gate is set "HAS" only, that particular gate will be using HAS no matter which aircraft I use because atc_parking_codes breaks the tie.

Do I understand the system correctly?

In case I prefer Cathay Pacific aeroplanes to always be assigned HAS ground operator at this particular airport. Confirm I have to edit the "Airline codes" field for all gates in the airport, let's say from "HAS, SATS" to "SATS, HAS" then back to "HAS, SATS", just to let the system know I intend to override.

How about I want different airline aircrafts to use different ground operators in the same gate?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:47:13 pm by tszchun_anson »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 02:02:29 pm »
Let's take airport VHHH as an example. The scenery BGL file specifies atc_parking_codes for all different stands/gates which are displayed in corresponding GSX gate config page. There is another file SIM.cfg which contains the codes and scores of different GSX ground vehicles. Let's assume HAS and SATS score the same in SIM.cfg. If atc_parking_codes of a gate is set "HAS" only, that particular gate will be using HAS no matter which aircraft I use because atc_parking_codes breaks the tie.

Do I understand the system correctly?

Yes, in your case HAS will "win", because its score which was tied with SATS for that airport, was boosted by being present on that parking, by means of the scenery AFCAD. The aircraft you fly ( the atc_parking_codes in the aircraft.cfg ) only affects the choice of the ULD.

In case I prefer Cathay Pacific aeroplanes to always be assigned HAS ground operator at this particular airport. Confirm I have to edit the "Airline codes" field for all gates in the airport, let's say from "HAS, SATS" to "SATS, HAS" then back to "HAS, SATS", just to let the system know I intend to override.

Again, the airplane you fly won't affect the choice of ground operators. If will only affect the choice of ULDs, but only if it has an atc_parking_code line in the aircraft.cfg file.

How about I want different airline aircrafts to use different ground operators in the same gate?

You can't. You set all the possible operators, and chose them from the menu.

tszchun_anson

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 03:03:12 pm »
In \Addon Manager\Simobjects\Misc\FSDT_Baggage_Loader\Sim.cfg, I can find the following relevant entries:

[fltsim.100]
title=FSDT_Baggage_Loader_HAS
model=01
texture=HAS
couatl.icaoprefixes=VHHH
couatl.atc_parking_codes=_HAS

[fltsim.111]
title=FSDT_Baggage_Loader_JASG
model=01
texture=JASG
couatl.icaoprefixes=VHHH
couatl.atc_parking_codes=Jardine

[fltsim.162]
title=FSDT_Baggage_Loader_SATS
model=01
texture=SATS
couatl.icaoprefixes=VHHH
couatl.atc_parking_codes=SATS

They all score the same in sim.cfg because they share the same four characters "VHHH" in line "couatl.icaoprefixes=". In other words, the tie is there.

In airport config ini of VHHH, gate 40 has "airlinecodes = HAS,JASG,SATS". Again, the tie should not be broken.

Note that the airport config ini file was downloaded online and copied into \AppData\Roaming\Virtuali\GSX, not sure if it is related. But I think the entries in the ini should reflect atc_parking_code in scenery AFCAD.

But today when I selected GSX service, SATS is automatically selected. Did something go wrong?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 03:05:50 pm by tszchun_anson »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 01:54:24 pm »
Note that the airport config ini file was downloaded online and copied into \AppData\Roaming\Virtuali\GSX, not sure if it is related. But I think the entries in the ini should reflect atc_parking_code in scenery AFCAD.

Please re-read my previous explanation carefully:

With the GSX customization page, you can use the "Airline codes" parameter and, in this case, the codes specified there will take precedence over everything else. But you must set them YOURSELF. If you don't do that, the ones from the scenery AFCAD will be shown, as an information, but they will only work as tie-breakers. It's only after you *edit* the field, they'll become real overrides, directly affecting the choice of operators, regardless of the default scoring system.

So, if the codes are in the .INI file it means it means they HAVE been edited by who made the .INI file so, they are not tie-breaker anymore, but overrides so, GSX will use them without caring about the scoring system.

Of course, only vehicles that *do* exists in GSX will appear

tszchun_anson

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 08:26:32 pm »
Thanks for correcting me. So in this case, the ini entry has overridden the scoring system. But, for Gate W40, there are three operators. You said GSX would use them straight away, but how does GSX decide which one of the three will be used?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:14:35 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 11:15:52 am »
You said GSX would use them straight away, but how does GSX decide which one of the three will be used?

It won't decide anything: it will show a menu of all three, assuming ALL of them are AVAILABLE as GSX ground operators. If you don't see the menu, it means there was only choice, because only one of such codes matched an existing ground operator in GSX.

tszchun_anson

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 02:33:33 pm »
You said GSX would use them straight away, but how does GSX decide which one of the three will be used?

It won't decide anything: it will show a menu of all three, assuming ALL of them are AVAILABLE as GSX ground operators. If you don't see the menu, it means there was only choice, because only one of such codes matched an existing ground operator in GSX.

confirm couatl.atc_parking_codes in Sim.cfg against airlinecodes in airport ini?

You may have noticed in the previous example of VHHH that there are two GSX ground operators (HAS, SATS) matching codes in ini file, but actually I didn’t get any menu...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 02:36:41 pm by tszchun_anson »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 11:55:25 pm »
You may have noticed in the previous example of VHHH that there are two GSX ground operators (HAS, SATS) matching codes in ini file, but actually I didn’t get any menu...

You will see a menu with HAS and SATS, because they are both available in GSX. Sorry, but without looking at ALL your files, I cannot possibly tell why you don't get the menu but, I can only confirm this is what will happen.

tszchun_anson

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 10:58:36 am »
You will see a menu with HAS and SATS, because they are both available in GSX.

Negative! I tested over again and again. No menu has ever popped up. The way I activated ground services was to "request boarding".

Sorry, but without looking at ALL your files, I cannot possibly tell why you don't get the menu but, I can only confirm this is what will happen.

I really want to get this sorted out! I am not the only person experiencing this issue as I know. Is there any way to help you identify the culprit? Thanks!

Anson

tszchun_anson

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 10:59:52 am »
Also, after the update released today, may I know the updated path of the ground vehicles? The previous path was \Addon Manager\Simobjects\Misc\. This are the things left now:
https://i.imag.cx/YvHQN.png

In PBR folder, \Addon Manager\Simobjects\PBR, I found FSDT_Baggage_Loader, but the airline vehicles are no longer there:
https://i.imag.cx/YvNsM.png

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 03:33:29 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 03:34:24 pm »
The current update has changed everything, and I strongly suggest reading the updated manual, especially the Pages 33-35

tszchun_anson

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 09:44:45 pm »
The current update has changed everything, and I strongly suggest reading the updated manual, especially the Pages 33-35

Thanks for letting me know. I now realise that two new options are available for me to choose handlers for baggage and catering independently. These 2 options will override the previously discussed scoring system.

However, since I may fly different airlines handled by different operators but parked in same gates, it is better if I can have choice every time I activate ground services at gate. That’s why I am more interested in knowing what I can do to fix the issues of “handlers are sharing same score, like HAS, SATS and JASG, but no menu has ever shown”. I hope you can provide me with some insight :)

Thanks,
Anson