Author Topic: GSX and WIn 7  (Read 4511 times)

wolfgang

GSX and WIn 7
« on: June 23, 2019, 03:06:12 pm »
I am new here and need your help.
I want to buy GSX Ground Service for FSX.
The system requirementes says nothing about Win 7, only Win8 and better.
I have only Win 7.
What now?
Best regards Wolfgang

Beat578

Re: GSX and WIn 7
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 07:39:07 am »
Windows 7 is not suported by windows any more, so it is not by GSX. There have been two threads lately about windows 7 that I recall. It could run well, but It could also cause problems and then it won't be supported by virtually as it's not a supported source system anymore. What you can do of course is downloading and isntalling it and using the trial version to see what happens. If your lucky, it will work, if not, then only upgrading to a newer system would be an option to use GSX.
Beat578

wolfgang

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 02:22:29 pm »
A shocking message, thanks anyway.
So that means I can throw my entire Win7-based FSX-equipment into garbage because it's not compatible with Wni 8 and above.
And then I have to buy everything new.
A depressing view.
It is probably better, because timeless, to buy the board-game "Mensch ärgere Dich nicht".

Beat578

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 02:39:24 pm »
I would not see it that black...
I had FSX with every addon running for ages on my windows 8 / 10. You won't run into any problems. I had AES for ages and invested heavily. So I waited for AES to be Prepar compatible. It never happened. So I finally decided to make a step forward: I switched to Prepar 4.4 (now 4.5). it's an amazing thing. The new Graphics are stunning. Piece by piece i updated my old FSX airports (some give you the new Prepar installer for free, some give huge discounts on upgrading). And then i installed GSX: Wow. With level 2, its great. I never regreted to leave FSX behind finally.
Ende gut, alles gut...
With the new update in the pipeline, it would be worth the switch anyway.
But as i said, i don't see the need to buy everything new, you can upgrade your windows with your FSX equipment still running, I don't see any reason why not.

P.S. Lot's of hardware sellers provided patches for newer Systems and Prepar as well, I would try it. I have a very very old Logitech G940 Flightsystem and even the old tool to let the lights go on in different colors, depending on the state of systems, still works...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:41:48 pm by Beat578 »
Beat578

olseric

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 02:49:28 pm »
My system is Windows 7 Pro 64.  I also own GSX and it works fine.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 12:32:07 am »
So that means I can throw my entire Win7-based FSX-equipment into garbage because it's not compatible with Wni 8 and above.

Are you referring to hardware ? Because, nothing prevents FSX to work just fine in Windows 10.

If you are referring to FSX-specific hardware, you should obviously blame their manufacturers, who live in the past and hasn't updated their drivers to support Windows 10.

If this is really the issue, because of them, you are forced to stay with a system that, starting next January, will become the PRIME target for hackers, because Microsoft will stop releasing even security updates. The same happened with Windows XP: as soon MS stopped to publish updates, all XP users were targeted by massive hacker attacks and, even if YOU think your system won't be affected, it might affect, for example, your favorite websites, which might be brought down by DDOS attacks using other unsecured system.

Basically, not updating after January would be irresponsible, just like not vaccinating your kids.

My system is Windows 7 Pro 64.  I also own GSX and it works fine.

Of course it works. Nowhere we ever said GSX doesn't work. There's just ONE very minor issue, which is a crash while EXITING the sim, which I'm not even sure it happens under very conditions. The crash is totally harmless, since the sim has already closed but, because we don't have any means to debug it, and we don't even know if it CAN be solved, we decided to just stop supporting Windows 7.

Which again, is not news, since support stopped 4 years ago, and from January, even the extended life support will stop so, it's not as if we went crazy and decided to abandon an healthy OS with a long life ahead of it.

wolfgang

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 09:52:03 pm »
Good man,
Of course you are right with and in everything.
Only, with my 80 years and a very small pension, I do not have the money to buy a new PC and OS, and probably new software.
That's why I'll try to sell FSX and everything belonging to fsx, or at least throw it away.
But still I don`t give up...
Best regards
Wolfgang

Pauldh

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 01:59:16 am »
I have Windows 7. GSX and all the up grades plus their scenery works >PERFECT<

pete_auau

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 10:58:58 am »
runs  fine  in windows  7

wolfgang

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 01:29:48 pm »
@ olseric, Pauldh, pete_auau,

Virtuali wants to tell us that Win 7 is shut down and we Win 7 enthusiasts are no longer protected, because immediately all the bad hackers will join us and make life difficult for us or whatever.
I let the matter approach and then I will see.
Best regards
Wolfgang

Andrew226

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 08:28:21 pm »
Hello, I have the Base GSX for Windows 7 x64 and it works fine but  ???I want to ask if the GSX Level 2 is compatible with the Windows 7. ??? ???

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 11:25:36 pm »
Hello, I have the Base GSX for Windows 7 x64 and it works fine but  ???I want to ask if the GSX Level 2 is compatible with the Windows 7. ??? ???

If your GSX is full updated, you already have GSX L2 in Trial and the status of the Trial won't make any difference to how it runs under Windows 7. Which, as explained so many times in this thread, runs perfectly fine but, some users (not all of them), have a completely harmless crash on exit the sim, which is not even visible, unless you go into the Windows Event Viewer.

paradisca1

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2022, 10:02:56 pm »
GSX in Windows 7
I have reinstalled Windows 7 and P3Dv4.5 and have GSX Level 2 and all my FSDreamteam airports working it seems. To do this I had to use 32 bit couatl. I have made a backup copy of the Addon Manager folder.
My question is if I attempt a Live Update and it breaks my GSX can I recover by restoring my backup copy of the Addon Manager folder and editing the addon.xml to point to couatl32. Or could something else change that thwarts that plan? Thank you.
Steve Paradis

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 01:34:34 pm »
My question is if I attempt a Live Update and it breaks my GSX can I recover by restoring my backup copy of the Addon Manager folder and editing the addon.xml to point to couatl32. Or could something else change that thwarts that plan?

That might work for a while but, when we install an update, it's not something "just" in the Addon Manager folder.

A future updated VC++ redistributable, and updated QLM License Manager, which register themselves in Windows, might just not work on Windows 7 so, even if you remove the whole Addon Manager to restore an old version, this might not work with those other updates, with the only option to reinstall the whole OS to "restore" them.

Obviously, once you find out it's time to reinstall the OS, you would be better to install Windows 10 anyway. I really cannot understand how anybody would want to expose itself to such security risks ( running a completely obsolete OS that won't even get security patches ), to such heavy maintenance, risking losing products you bought, using the wrong version of the software ( 32 bit apps runs slower in a 64 bit OS due to the "thunking", just search for that), for what, exactly ? It's not as if any hardware that can run Windows 7 can't run Windows 10.

But that's besides the point. The point is, do what you want to, just know you are completely unsupported by doing this.