Author Topic: Floating trailers  (Read 4708 times)

kityatyi

Floating trailers
« on: March 20, 2018, 08:22:13 pm »
P3D v4.2 here.

There is a weird elevation issue at KSDF with floating trailers just left of RWY 35L. Moving the camera up or moving it closer, the ground gradually appears, moving back down or farther back makes it gradually disappear, making the objects look floating.

No duplicate AFCAD files involved as I already deactivated the one in MyTraffic. Mesh resolution is set to 5 m.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Floating trailers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:29:55 pm »
That's how the scenery is made: it's an issue caused by z-buffer, because the scenery has been designed to work with FSX too, even if it has a native P3D4 ground, is still assembled in a way that made an FSX version possible.

We might try to improve it a bit in future versions.

kityatyi

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 04:21:21 am »
Thank you for the explanation. appreciate it.

It is a pity that your currently newest scenery - released in 2017 - includes such a visual glitch, only to accommodate for an outdated prehistoric platform. I am hoping that you will at some point revisit this scenery and sort out this bug.

I am also hoping that the upcoming KORD will not sacrifice anything quality wise in favour of FSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 11:34:47 am »
It is a pity that your currently newest scenery - released in 2017 - includes such a visual glitch, only to accommodate for an outdated prehistoric platform. I am hoping that you will at some point revisit this scenery and sort out this bug.

Even if it's a scenery released in 2017, it's design started more than 2 years earlier, when nobody even knew a 64 bit sim was in the works, so we couldn't afford to dump FSX back then. Then, in June 2017 P3D4 came out, and changed everything, but the scenery was almost finished by then.

I am also hoping that the upcoming KORD will not sacrifice anything quality wise in favour of FSX.

That's the main reason why we decided to stop supporting FSX: because we are fed up of not being able to do what we *can* do, just to support a 11-years old sim. KORD won't have a single bit of FSX technology in it.

However, the issue you are reported, will still be tricky to fix entirely, because even P3D4 cannot simulate objects below ground or bridges easily, not without causing all sort of trouble with other items, like AI. The main issue, which is the same reason why the sim still doesn't support sloped runways, is that AFCADs paths are not "3D" so, regardless how the scenery is modeled, the sim always assume the airport to be logically flat, if you take into account AI and ground vehicles too.

Wise87

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 03:35:26 am »
Its been a year. Any plans to finally fix this?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:52:32 am »
Its been a year. Any plans to finally fix this?

Even if a year has passed, the explanation in the last post sill stands The scenery still was made to be compatible with FSX, and it was the last one we ever made that way.