Author Topic: TACAN/ILS  (Read 8990 times)

oldpop

TACAN/ILS
« on: May 12, 2019, 05:47:15 pm »
I have recently installed your FA-18c v 17.1.3.1 (P3Dv4.5) and am having trouble with the TACAN and ILS.
I set the TACAN(vhf) freq, get a courses arrow on HUD, "box" TAC" on MFD can set course line all works well.  if I then set a ILS freq up, box ILS on MFD (I have ILS selected on cockpit panel) I get the LOC/GS cross on HUD (centered), TACAN info is removed from HUD and MFD. The LOC/GS lines don't move on the HUD. The LOC/GS needles on BU Attitude gyro are also not active.  What am I missing?

oldpop

Re: TACAN/ILS
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 02:06:14 pm »
come on guys , just tell me if you have them working? ??? ???

oldpop

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:24:30 pm »
only way to get the ILS to work is to switch to another a/c set the ils freq up then switch back to FA18c??? :-\

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 02:45:47 am »
Oldpop,

Apologies on the late response.  Unfortunately I've been pretty busy as of late so it might take a while for me to be able to check things out.  I know with the newer versions of the jet, you had to use the "ON/OFF" UFC button to first turn on the TCN and ILS radios.  Have you do this?  If, so, please disregard and I will have to check the code when I get time.

Thanks.

-Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

oldpop

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 04:41:24 pm »
yes I have tried that.  uninstalled/reinstalled, moved files as shown,. not getting the FCS fail and still no ILS??
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:37:30 pm by oldpop »

oldpop

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 02:26:55 pm »
locked ILS bars.  they just sit there?????

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 03:03:55 pm »
I'll take a look once I get home from travels...

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

oldpop

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 06:43:24 pm »
Jim . any progress on ILS?

PhantomTweak

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 09:06:04 pm »
Hi, oldprop :)

A few questions, if I may...
Are you within +/- about 10-15° of the runway centerline? And about 4000' AGL, and about 5 NMI of the touchdown point the ILS would guide you to before you expect to see the bars become active?
Are you certain the airport actually has an ILS on the runway you want to use?

Have you tried installing a more updated version? A V18.something?
I don't believe the v17 series are able to install into P3D v4.anything, but I could be wrong. I think it works in P3Dv3 and FSX only. Check the folder named EXTRAS once the plane is installed. Is there a folder in it named P3D Specific Files? If so, did you follow the directions on where to place the files from it to make the plane P3Dv4 compatible? The key file is the HornetFCS.dll file. You should have one showing a size of 111 kb, not the 79 kb of the 32 bit file.
It's the whole 64 bit/32 bit problem. I don't believe the v17 series planes have the 64 bit files needed to work in P3Dv4 and up. Again, though, I may well be wrong.
I'm running FSX:SE, and I had no trouble with the v17 series plane ILS system. I  don't have a copy of any P3D version, so I can't be too specific about it all.

I know some of these questions may sound...ummm...kinda dumb....but sometimes it's the simple, silly things that cause the biggest problems.

I hope something in all my babbling is of some help...
Pat☺

oldpop

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 04:10:10 pm »
downloaded v18 and installed.  There was not "extra" folder. I did fine 2 "HornetFCS.dll" files( see below) ILS still "locked" with LOC/GS cross centered!

oldpop

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 05:21:51 pm »
PS. lined up with RW @ 5nm VASI says on GS still no "needles" movement( same as pic above)

SUBS17

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 09:33:25 pm »
There are people out there on the DCS forums who believe that the Hornet does not have ILS!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=245567

Any real Hornet pilots here that can verify this?

So just to clarify ILS on the Hornet is same as the ILS for all airfields and is set in frequency, ACLS is for carriers uses a different glideslope for carrier landings and is set in channels not frequencies and that is what is set for needles for carrier landings. Hornet pilots may/may not couple it with auto pilot but always set it for carrier landings for needles.

oldpop

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 10:55:07 pm »
Subs, there is NO ILS in the FA18C(US). The nav receiver can only be set by setting the CILS channels, not frequencies.  The 2 systems really are only similar in the display of the needles!
ILS is set on ONLY the one heading for the localizer, where CILS must be able to align with the Deck.  likewise the glide slope in ILS is "fixed", where the CILS must be stabilized due to deck pitching.
Both are gyro stabilized!
I believe the frequency range of both are different as well.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 08:18:05 pm »
Well, realistic or not, this wonderful bird does have ILS, just like a C-172. Carriers "have" an ILS and TACAN, but it's actually an integral part of the HUD, not actually broadcast by the boat. Having said that, it works as though it were coming from the boat.

Do you set the ILS freq for the particular airport or carrier on the UFC? Each carrier has their own ILS freq and TCN channel (IE frequency). For example, Javier's Nimitz v2, that most use and like, is TCN 57X (112.00). The ILS freq is the same, but still must be input to the UFC separately. IE: you select TCN on the buttons along the bottom of the UFC, punch in 112.00, and hit enter (or 5-7 ONLY for TCN 57X), then go to the ILS selection button, enter 112.00 agin. Then, on the right hand MFD, HSI display, box TCN or ILS, as required.

Do you turn the system "ON" with the button on the bottom row of the UFC, where you select ILS, TACAN, COMS, etc, right under the number pad? Far right-hand button.

Do you then go to an MFD, and box the ILS selection on the HSI display? On the upper left side of the HSI display? Third softbuttn down, from the top, of the left vertical side of the HSI display. Not any MFD. I think you need to use the Right DDI to display the HSI, and box the ILS or TACAN to have the HUD display them, as selected.

Again, you must be within certain distances/angles relative to the airport/carrier before the needles go active. The TACAN is a hemispherical, 90 nmi (roughly), guide to the airport or carrier.

One final note, if I may: do you hit SHFT-2 to call up the HUD Control Unit, and ensure the CAGED button is NOT lit? If it is, press it to de-select it (Not lit). If the HUD is in caged mode, yes, the ILS needles will be frozen in the center of the HUD.

Good fortune!
Pat☺

oldpop

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 08:57:25 pm »
Pat, lets make sure we are talking about the same sim and A/c.
In DCS there is not way to input a frequency for either TAC or CILS only CH #.
I have removed the FA18C from my P3D V4.5, so I can't comment on it any longer. 
In VRS's FA18E, it does allow ILS freq to be entered, but that is only "sim stuff".  TAC ch's only can be entered, it  does not have the ability to set TAC/VORTAC freq, one must convert TAC/VORTAC freq to ch # to enter into the a/c