Author Topic: GSX Gate Numbers Not Showing  (Read 3320 times)

Juan20

GSX Gate Numbers Not Showing
« on: April 10, 2019, 01:27:47 am »
Hey guys,

I recently purchased the GSX bundle with also the second version which said there would be gate numbers I registered both serials however no gate numbers are shown and that’s what concerns me I have the FSX Steam Edition and I also can’t get a preview of you know the number, could you please help me out?

Beat578

Re: GSX Gate Numbers Not Showing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 08:03:31 am »
As far as I know, the gate numbers only work on Prepar 3d V4, because older Prepar and FSX Versions don't support that kind of shader needed to display the gate numbers. So it would be normal that in FSX Steam, you don't see them at all.
Beat578

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 10:26:54 am »
Yes, that's entirely normal. FSX simply doesn't allow the Render To Texture feature, which is required for Jetway numbers to work. Next GSX update will make an EXTENSIVE use of it, for example by replacing all multiple liveries with render to texture logo.

This will allow a big performance benefit for P3D 4.4 users, saving lots memory and allowing for faster startup time, and will make extremely easy to make custom operator repaints and custom jetway logos. But it will require P3D 4.4+, so FSX and older P3D versions will still be stuck with the old system, with all the performance impact that comes with it, and the difficult to use Paintkit.

It's really time to ditch FSX.

Beat578

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:25:36 am »
Hi Umberto
If i read you right: You have found a way that you can display any Logo on any car that way, without having to save the whole Car texture as a template? Like a TV where you can decide what will be shown on a car? That's amazing. That way you can display almost anything you like on your airports.

Thumbs up for that feature. I am really glad i started with Prepar 4.4 after 5 years of Absence and di not "reanimate" my old FSX...
I just wonder how you can make regional (or even on a single stand base) selection of all the possible combinations.

Cheers
Beat
Beat578

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 01:11:33 pm »
If i read you right: You have found a way that you can display any Logo on any car that way, without having to save the whole Car texture as a template? Like a TV where you can decide what will be shown on a car? That's amazing. That way you can display almost anything you like on your airports.

Exactly, that's Render To Texture. In the current released version of GSX, we used it only for two things:

- the Jetway numbers

- the Battery charger indication in the jetway power unit ( this is not very noticeable, since it requires entering Avatar mode and checking the jetway visually on foot)

But for the next update, which will add PBR for most of the objects as well, we'll use it extensively, for all logos used by handling operators, catering and jetways. And the fuel indication on the fuel truck, which is now made by different object for each letter, but will be replaced by a single polygon with a texture we can write into it with code.

This will reduce the number of objects and the number of object variations on the sim because, instead of having a separate livery/repaint for each operator and for each GSX object, we'll only have a couple of basic color variations, with the logo drawn programmatically, like the jetway number. Over the years, GSX grew to include more than 200 different operators, and adding a new one increased the overall number of installed simobject variations, which slows down the sim startup, the airplane selection page, the multiplayer session startup time and also the time it takes in GSX to find a suitable operator. And, it made creating user repaints very difficult, since users had to add all the repaints and not make a single mistake in the icao priority rules.

With RTT, this will all be gone: we'll reduce the number of installed simobjects by about 7000, so the sim will load faster, the airplane selection screen will be snappier, and it will be much easier to create custom repaints.

KORD V2 will also use this feature for the active panels on gates, and the AI monitor screens inside the terminal

Beat578

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 01:24:42 pm »
Wow. And we wonder why it takes 6 month for an update...
That's hell of a project. Great to hear! So i guess, i will soon have to tick a lot of topics on my "Wishlist thread" as "implemented"...

Thanks a lot for the great work and the information.
Beat578