Author Topic: Installing into PD4  (Read 7111 times)

Hal

Installing into PD4
« on: April 06, 2019, 11:55:48 pm »
I have FSX installed on my C: drive with most of the FSDT airports. I now have Prepar3d v.4 on my D: drive (a separate hard drive). When I went to install KLAXv2 to PD4 the installer automatically indicated c:\fsx as the install path. The "browse" feature was grayed out so that I could not change to drive D:. How to I install to PD4?

Hal

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Installing into PD4
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 09:24:43 am »
When I went to install KLAXv2 to PD4 the installer automatically indicated c:\fsx as the install path. The "browse" feature was grayed out so that I could not change to drive D:. How to I install to PD4?

That's because you initially made the mistake of installing "into" FSX the first FSDT product you installed (instead of accepting the default path, which is OUTSIDE of it) so, the next ones will default to that folder, because all FSDT products must stay together.

So, it's not that you haven't installed for P3D4, because you have. You just created an FSDT installation for BOTH sims, which happen to be "into" the FSX folder, which will work, but it's a very messy way to install.

To be able to change an existing GSX installation, do as follows:

To "move" your existing installation, and change the folder, the only way that works is:

- Uninstall ALL your FSDT Products

- Reply YES to the question "Do you want to Remove The Addon Manager ?". THIS is what will allow the installer to "forget" your initial choice of the installation folder.

- Reinstall an FSDT product, and notice you now CAN choose a destination folder. Choose any drive/folder you like. Don't install inside FSX.

- Reinstall all the other FSDT products, which will all default to the folder you chose for the first one.

Hal

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 04:35:03 pm »
OK, thanks. Let me just clarify what I'm trying to do. For a transition period I  have FSX on one hard drive and PD4 on another (same machine). So under your instuctions can I choose a separate folder outside FSX for each software, so that I end up with one set of FSDT airports for FSX in a folder outside FSX and a second folder (also outside FSX/PD4) with the same set of FSDT airports for PD4? Or, do I end up with one folder outside FSX that contains both FSX and PD4 airports?

Hal

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 07:19:06 pm »
Or, do I end up with one folder outside FSX that contains both FSX and PD4 airports?

This, of course. The whole point of installing outside the sim, is to have a shared folder for all FSDT products, with no useless duplication of data.

Hal

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 09:42:32 pm »
OK, thank you. That makes sense.

Hal

wxman16

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 09:19:37 am »
 I have the add-on manager installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager and the sceneries I have from FSDT are installed in that folder, not in FSX. I assume this is the way it is suppose to be. Anyway, I also have P3dv4.5 installed in same PC. Since I already have the FSDT scenery installed in the folder mentioned above, do I need to reinstall it again in order to create the addon.xml files that go in the C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons or can I create the addon.xml file myself. Also, I do update the FSDT files using the FDST Live Update, so would there may any reason to download the scenery installer, i.e. KLAX, KDFW, etc?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 09:58:57 pm »
do I need to reinstall it again in order to create the addon.xml files that go in the C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons or can I create the addon.xml file myself.

No, you must run the GSX native P3D4/5 installer, because if you only installed the FSX version, you are missing all the PBR objects, Effects and Scripts that are native ( and not even the same in V4 and V5 ) and are only included with the P3D installers.

Also, I do update the FSDT files using the FDST Live Update, so would there may any reason to download the scenery installer, i.e. KLAX, KDFW, etc?

No, since the sceneries have a single installer, there's nothing you miss by simply letting the updater to update them.

wxman16

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 04:49:51 am »

No, you must run the GSX native P3D4/5 installer, because if you only installed the FSX version, you are missing all the PBR objects, Effects and Scripts that are native ( and not even the same in V4 and V5 ) and are only included with the P3D installers.

So that I understood correctly, since I already have the FSDT sceneries installed for FSX, if i download the KLAX scenery installer, for example, and install it, it will add the scenery into P3Dv4 and change nothing in FSX, again since it was already installed in FSX in the first place??

I already have GSX and GSX2 installed in both FSX and P3Dv4.5

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 07:19:42 pm »
So that I understood correctly, since I already have the FSDT sceneries installed for FSX, if i download the KLAX scenery installer, for example, and install it, it will add the scenery into P3Dv4 and change nothing in FSX, again since it was already installed in FSX in the first place??

Yes.

wxman16

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 11:04:37 pm »
Got it. Thank you.