Author Topic: GSX2 prevents P3Dv4 from starting  (Read 6623 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX2 prevents P3Dv4 from starting
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 10:47:14 am »
With "all flight sim Folders" I mean that the Addon Manager is also exclude. So the problem is not only with the antivirus.

Do you mean you installed the Addon manager *inside* the simulator ? That might be the problem. If you done that, uninstall and reinstall outside the simulator folder, as suggested by default.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 10:53:21 am »
controlled folder access are all disabled. exlusions folder I have an attachment on that one, so you could see all the files exluded. Also firewall which are domain, private and public network are all disabled. 

Your exclusions are wrong. I said to exclude the whole Addon Manager folder, but you excluded only the bglmanx64.dll.

what for me was very curious is that, when checking the folder where bglmanx64.dll is located ( in my case is located in here: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\P3D V4 Addons\Addon Manager ) i found two files named very similar: bglmanx64.dll and the same file without X64 so just bglman.dll.

That's normal, of course. The one without 64 in the name is the 32 bit version, which won't be used by P3D4.

i honestly don't know what else i could do in order to have everything working as always.

Exclude the whole Addon Manager folder from the antivirus, as I've said.

for the record the standalone addon manager version is a bit different from bglmanx64.dll file, where addon manager  is 4.5.0.10 and bglmanx64.dll 4.5.0.17 

Don't worry about the 32 bit version, it doesn't concern P3D4.

also for the record, when i removed the bglmanx64.dll file from the folder, i rerun the fsdt live update and it was introduced the file again, which means, if i'm not wrong, the system is not interfering with the update neither VC++ or antivirus and firewall.

As I've said, if the download completes fine, it doesn't mean the "system" doesn't interfere. It only means the DOWNLOAD is not blocked, but that doesn't say anything about what the system does *after* the download. Like, preventing the program from running.

i hope that this one would make it very clear and letting you know i'm doing the exact same thing you're giving us a solution that, appearently in my case, it's not working. 

I can only repeat and confirm the file which is online now works just fine, tried several times.

It's no use continuing here. Send me a private message, and we might have a Teamviewer session, so I could check what's wrong in your system.

Jürgen

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 10:54:19 am »
Nowhere I said you had to install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager.
Did I say that you did?

Anyway, I did the following this morning:
1. Uninstalled my Avira Antivurus
2. Uninstalled Addon Manager and removed all leftovers I found
3. Tried P3D and it worked
4. Downloaded GSX2 and installed it making sure that the firewall was deactivated
5. Checked bglmanx64.dll at onlinemd5.com and got the correct MD5 value
5. Tried P3D with the result that it does not work - again prepar3D.exe remains "forever" active in the Task Manager
6. Killed Prepar3D.exe
7. Modified add-ons.cfg by writing "false" instead of "true" under Package 1 pointing to the Addon Manager
8. P3D works fine (of course without GSX2)

This means there is a clean install without the influence of any Antivirus Programme (Windows Defender is off too) and Firewall

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:58:06 am by Jürgen »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 10:56:21 am »
Did I say that you did?

No, but you done it anyway, that's why I said I never said to do that.

This means there is a clean install without the influence without any Antivirus Programme (Windows Defender is off too) and Firewall

I can only repeat and confirm the file which is online now works just fine, tried several times.

It's no use continuing here. Send me a private message, and we might have a Teamviewer session, so I could check what's wrong in your system.

Joggu

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 12:39:25 pm »
With "all flight sim Folders" I mean that the Addon Manager is also exclude. So the problem is not only with the antivirus.

Do you mean you installed the Addon manager *inside* the simulator ? That might be the problem. If you done that, uninstall and reinstall outside the simulator folder, as suggested by default.

No I have not …

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 03:38:10 pm »
Run the FSDT Live Update now, the problem is fixed.

Thanks to Jürgen, with whom I had a TM session with, I've found the problem and yes, it's a bug, related to handling of different encoding but you needed a non-English (German, for example) username to find it. Although the .DLL was in Public Beta test for about 2 months, apparently nobody with a german username ever tried it when it was posted on the forum as a beta.

The code was changed from the previous version to deal with some 3rd party utilities that change the default encoding for the default simulator configuration files (they are supposed to be ANSI for 32 bit sims and Unicode for P3D4 ) so, ideally, this version should have been able to deal with all cases, even the non standard ones, but apparently it's not...so I reverted to the previous version of the routine, which works if the file haven't been re-encoded from the standard.

louis1900

Re: GSX2 prevents P3Dv4 from starting ...FINALLY SOLVED!!...
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 03:47:14 pm »

HEY! you were absolutely right! no that i just changed the folder were addon manager is installed, now the p3d runs just as always. i've been always using the p3d addons folder that comes by default when p3d is installed in the system, which of course, is inside p3d folder itself. However, just to let you know, Fsdt software by default suggests to install it in a programs files x86 folder (which i never install nothing there, because it's the OS untouchable folder, that's what i've seen in all kinds of forum, not just p3d and

3rd party involved). Anyhow, thanks so much for your help and patient in resolving this one.  

Regard to all of fsdt team who does the best for their products and best user experience.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 03:50:50 pm by louis1900 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX2 prevents P3Dv4 from starting ...FINALLY SOLVED!!...
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 03:56:25 pm »
However, just to let you know, Fsdt software by default suggests to install it in a programs files x86 folder (which i never install nothing there, because it's the OS untouchable folder, that's what i've seen in all kinds of forum, not just p3d and 3rd party involved).

The suggestion to install a software outside C:\Program Files it's a generic suggestion, which is usually valid if you are installing a very OLD software, one that was made before Windows Vista ( when UAC was introduced ), and the reason is suggested to do so, is that non-compliant software might want to try to WRITE something inside "its own" folder and, if this is folder happens to be under C:\Program Files, you'll get the issue of the supposedly "untouchable" Windows folder.

Our software doesn't do anything like that, because it's 100% compliant with the latest Windows standards, so it will never, ever, write *anything* inside "its own" folder. Instead, it will use the folders suggested by Microsoft, in the most compliant way. That is: using %APPDATA% for small text configuration files, and %PROGRAMDATA% for larger binary files that might change while the software is running, like the airport cache.

In addition to that, our installer correctly sets the proper user permissions on the Addon Manager folder, so the Live Update will be able to update files there in the future.

So, you will not have any problems installing into the default suggested location.

The only time you might want to change it, is if you are low on space on the C: drive. In that case, it would be best to choose a separate folder, such as D: or E:, which will result in the Addon Manager installed into D:\Addon Manager or E:\Addon Manager. This is perfectly fine too.

The worse possible choice, is installing inside the sim. Not because of specific problems but, because in case you want to reinstall the simulator clean, you'll have to lose the FSDT installation too, something that wouldn't be the case if you install outside of it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 03:58:03 pm by virtuali »

louis1900

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 05:40:07 pm »
Thanks for making it clear.

Thanks for your time finding a solution on my pc.

regards.