Author Topic: Geneve refuses to display buildings  (Read 9357 times)

John Maracle

Geneve refuses to display buildings
« on: July 23, 2009, 09:32:12 am »
Yesterday I downloaded the demo with a view to purchase, I loaded it up and had a look, what a wonderful job you had done HOWEVER

It is right now riddled with problems

Last night I did a flight from EGBB(Birmingham) to LGSS(Geneva) and this is what happened

UK2000 Scenery loaded as normal and flew the flight.
Got to my last waypoint Lusair and started to get excited at this point as I previously paid for Geneva and the aircraft started to fly the star. Wow --- I have UTX for europe installed as well. Flying the star at this point takes your breath away. Can you imagine how DISAPPOINTED I was when no buildings showed up. What a dire letdown

I would sincerely like to get this working without spending my sim time fixing this.

More often than not Software Companies release software that is either not fit for purpose, not working or incomplete.

Here is what I have running

FSX
Windows Vista 64 ultimate edition
In this order I have the following installed
UTX Europe
UK 2000 scenery for the following - Birmingham, Glasgow, Heathrow and Stanstead
I also Run Real Environmet Extreme.

If you require information I woould be more than happy to provide.

Regards,

John Maracle

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Geneve refuses to display buildings
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:14:06 pm »
It's not clear, from your description, if the scenery just stopped to work and it doesn't display, or if only happened on that specific occasion.  Meaning: does it work now ?

Also, it's not clear from your description, if you bought the scenery and started your flight right away, or you restarted FSX in the meantime.

If it works now, in order to help you, we need to know if it happens again. And, when it happens again, don't do anything, but just check if you see both the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered plugins" menu under the FSX "Addons" menu. You should see both. If one (or both) is missing, please report which one it is.

John Maracle

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:44:44 am »
Ok fair dues

To be more specific

I load up the fsx and choose Geneva as airport and choose a random gate

Defaullt Cesna loaded.

Buildings do not display.

I ran my usual flight this morning from Liverpool to Geneva and when approaching Geneva Buildings don't display; nor do they display when I land Other "stuff" is there though like jetways, cargo containers, vehicles.

It looks very similar to the way it looks after the demo time runs out.

In my settings my scenery density is one notch from max
In the scenery list in fsx Geneva is top of list.

I activated the software via the code as supplied by yourselves. and the software shows as active
After purchasing I did restart FSX as this is a SOP I adopt for all software installations.

My previous comments are a result of paying money out and having to spend time getting it to work. Only earler that day or the day before I spent 2 days trying to get an aircraft to work. Imagine my further fustration when this doesn't as well.

Again if you require more information I am willing to provide this as well

John Maracle

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:18:01 am »
Ehm, sorry, you haven't replied to the most important question:

Do you see "Couatl Powered plugins" menu under the "Addons" menu ?

Also, can you check if you have a Couatl.err file in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder and, if you have one, post its content ?

danydj718

• FSX and FS9 user
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 07:55:51 pm »
I either have no buildings.

On my old computer LSGG worked well, but on my new one, I have a few problems:
After having installed the scenery, an error message appeared telling me, that there would be a problem with dll.xml
I was not able to install my PMDG 744 because of the dll.xml too, which ran on my old computer as well.
Seeing John Maracle has also installed UTX Europe, I think this could be the addon which causes those difficulties, beacuse I didn't had this on my old pc.
Proud LSZH, LSGG, KJFK, KFLL and KDFW owner!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 10:21:08 pm »
After having installed the scenery, an error message appeared telling me, that there would be a problem with dll.xml
I was not able to install my PMDG 744 because of the dll.xml too

That's clear proof that, the scenery doesn't have anything to do with it.

Our installer checks for the correct syntax of the XML files BEFORE trying to do any modifications and, if any error is found (the validation is made by Windows itself, using the standard IE routines), the user is notified, and the XML file is NOT being touched, in order not to risk corrupting it even more.

So, if you are getting that error, it means another addon has corrupted your DLL.XML and, since no modules are added to the XML files, the software will not run (not just ours, any software that needs to install a module in the XML files, like the PMDG), and no buildings will be displayed.

If you simply *remove* the DLL.XML file, and run any of our installers again, a new one will be automatically created, which will be obviously correct. This will of course also fix your PMDG install problems as well. Of course, if you have other addons that needs modules to run, you need to reinstall all of them and, probably, during this reinstallation, you might eventually find which one was the culprit of the XML corruption because, at a certain point, your XML files will probably get corrupted again...

danydj718

• FSX and FS9 user
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 01:46:42 pm »
Thank you, virtuali!

May I ask a few questions regarding the dll.xml file?
- Is there a possibility to find out, which addons access this file?
- The one, that corrupted the dll.xml file, was installed after Zurich and before Geneva, because I had no issues to install your LSZH scenery, right?
- Do you know about addons corrupting dll.xml? If I made a list of my installed addons, would you probably see, which one it is?

Best regards

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 06:03:15 pm »
- Is there a possibility to find out, which addons access this file?

Only after you installed them, you can check if they have added anything to dll.xml and/or exe.xml

The one, that corrupted the dll.xml file, was installed after Zurich and before Geneva, because I had no issues to install your LSZH scenery, right?

I don't know what you have installed. However, our installers have exactly the same code that deals with xml files so, if you didn't had any problems with Zurich, it would be exactly the same with Geneva so, you can safely exclude it was something created by any of our installers.

Do you know about addons corrupting dll.xml? If I made a list of my installed addons, would you probably see, which one it is?

We know for sure that Wilco installers modify the file from Windows to Unix, and this confuses other installers like PMDG. However, our installer is able to deal with this, and it will also fix the XML files back to Windows format (which is what FSX defaults to).

Also, there were issues with REX: a certain release was bugged and removed our section (and probably others as well), but I've heard it has been fixed after a certain release.

We don't specifically know of others, but I'm sure there are other addons that corrupts the XML, but we can't say which ones, we can simply DETECT the corruption, by first checking the XML files BEFORE doing anything.

So, the only way to discover which of your addons created the problem, is to run every installer, one by one, and then try to open the XML file with Internet Explorer. If the file has been corrupted, IE will give an error: the same error that would appear if you ran any of our installers, because we use the same syntax checking engine that IE uses.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:28:56 pm by virtuali »

danydj718

• FSX and FS9 user
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 01:05:58 pm »
Ok, so I will delete the dll.xml to see, which addons caused this issue.

Many thanks virtuali.

danydj718

• FSX and FS9 user
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 03:21:46 am »
The bad one is one of those addons listed in the dll.xml, right?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 03:58:39 am »
If you fixed the issue, and now the xml got corrupted because you installed something else, then yes, you can be sure one of them has corrupted the xml file.

As I've said in my previous post:

So, the only way to discover which of your addons created the problem, is to run every installer, one by one, and then try to open the XML file with Internet Explorer. If the file has been corrupted, IE will give an error: the same error that would appear if you ran any of our installers, because we use the same syntax checking engine that IE uses.

danydj718

• FSX and FS9 user
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 06:22:47 pm »
Ok, thank you virtuali. Sorry for the inconvenience!

I will now begin to uninstall every addon, but not FSXacc itself.

Best regards