Author Topic: Install trouble  (Read 6871 times)

maucinti

Install trouble
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:21:46 pm »
I downloaded both Las Vegas and Chicago airports for FS9 and saved onto external HDD (as usual).
When I click on the installer icon nothing happens....
Maybe some compatibility issues?
I run Win XP sp2.
Any hints?
Thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Install trouble
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 11:34:43 pm »
First, if the external hdd is USB, it might be much slower than normal to uncompress the installer files. Then, the installer will need to copy the files in the windows temporary folder, because it runs from there.

And, if you are using an antivirus, it will further slow down the installer startup, because the antivirus will need to scan files.

So, give it some time to run. You can check with windows Task manager if, when you click on the setup executable, that the setup process really started.

And of course, if you were impatient and clicked twice, when the setup already launched, it might create problems so, it's best if you just reboot Windows now, click on setup and just wait, it will eventually work.

maucinti

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:22:42 pm »
Sorry, but as suspected, the problem has nothing to do with the fact that .exe program is located on an external drive.
In fact, I moved the file on C: but it still don't work. And nothing works in Task Manager as well.
The same occurs with the three files downloaded : Klas, Kord and Setup addonmanager.
Tried to right-click and "run as.." and the result is as follows :

"Setup was unable to create the directory "C:\documents and settings\utente\is-9M3IV.tmp"
"Error 5 : accesso negato"

Strange behaviour, I must say.
I've been downloading some hundred of various software for more than a decade, but this is some new kind of problem I never encountered before.
Maybe a corruption of the files?
ciao.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:27:25 pm »
"Setup was unable to create the directory "C:\documents and settings\utente\is-9M3IV.tmp"

"Error 5 : accesso negato"

Something is wrong, either with your permission settings, or the Windows system variable that points to the default temporary folder, which should be %TEMP%, is either wrong, or is pointing to an non-existing folder.

In fact, it shouldn't even try to write to c:\Documents and settings. This looks like the installer is trying to use that folder, because the normal one can't be accessed, because it's usually (under XP) in C:\Documents and Settings\utente\Local Settings\Temp

In any case, something is very wrong because, BOTH folders should be ALWAYS accessible, regardless of permission, since they are both located into your user account, which you should always have permission to write.

I've been downloading some hundred of various software for more than a decade, but this is some new kind of problem I never encountered before.

No, it's surely a problem of your system, any software that will try to access the default Windows temporary folder will have the same problem.

Maybe a corruption of the files?

No, because the installer has self-integrity checks, so it will issue a very different message, if the downloaded file was corrupted.

In any case, it would't hurt downloading the file again. But you have to CLEAR YOUR BROWSER CACHE, otherwise you will keep getting the same file over and over, even if you retry.

Have you tried running the setup as Administrator, instead ? And, as I've said before, reboot Windows before trying, because the folder might be locked if you launch the setup twice.

maucinti

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 12:02:54 am »
Finally I got it!  But what in a strange way..
I installed both Klas and Kord for FS9 via a notebook linked to my home network.
Just pointed to the files saved on the external HDD (freely accessible on the network) and run them.
The exe program in this case started smoothly and installed the sceneries in C:FS9 on my main desktop PC.
Why that happens is far beyond my knowledge .
But it works ! and that's what counts.
See you, bye
Maurizio.

p.s.:
I downloaded and installed the FSX versions too, and had no problem at all.
It sounds weird, but true, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 12:08:28 am by maucinti »