Author Topic: YVR Excessive load times.  (Read 2811 times)

Just Caliber

YVR Excessive load times.
« on: February 04, 2019, 06:44:44 am »
Quick note: This is with ALL FSDT Scenery, not just YVR. I'm posting it here because I fly in and out of YVR quite often. If this has been covered/solved in the past, please link a forum post here.

Anywho, this has been an ongoing issue for quite some time and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. When I am maybe 15-20nm from YVR in any direction or even just flying over top of it, (when in range where the flight sim thinks it needs to be loaded in) my sim will pause for about 15 seconds, then continue, then pause for 10 seconds and then finally continue. As you can imagine this is infuriating in some cases, because sometimes I am in turbulence and it has caused me to lose complete control of my aircraft.

This problem is very persistent since it is still there after a full reinstall of my sim (this has been on all versions of FSX and P3D that I have used), complete OS reinstall (even when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10), reinstall of the scenery, updated the Addon Manager, updated the scenery, updated my graphics card, updated literally everything that could require an update. This even happens when there are NO other addons in P3D, just YVR (or any other FSDT Scenery that I have tested on a clean reinstalled)

My specs: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16GB Ram, 1TB HDD, 250GB SSD and NVIDIA GTX970 (latest drive as of right now, 417.71)

Addons used on a daily (not including addon scenery as I have too many to list lol): P3D v4.3, PMDG 737NGX + 6/700, 777/F + 300ER, 747QOTSII, FSLabs A320 + 319, Majestic Q400, PTA (latest version) AS for P3D, Avilasoft EFB v2.0, Navigraph Charts, ProjectFly, Vpilot, FlyChrono, PFPX, Chaseplane.

This issue occurs regardless if P3D is the only thing running on my PC.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: YVR Excessive load times.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 02:17:37 am »
Anywho, this has been an ongoing issue for quite some time and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. When I am maybe 15-20nm from YVR in any direction or even just flying over top of it, (when in range where the flight sim thinks it needs to be loaded in) my sim will pause for about 15 seconds, then continue, then pause for 10 seconds and then finally continue.

This has been discussed so many times already and, of course, it's entirely normal, it's not a problem, and it's caused by the fact that objects and scenery that is created programmatically, cannot be loaded in multithread, like other terrain can.

Normally, the pause should be shorter than 10-15 seconds, more likely 3-4 but, of course, if your sim is already overstressed by other addons, everything will be worse. For example, we noticed something like OrbX vector can raise the normal CPU usage from 30% to about 80% just by itself, which you might not notice because, being terrain, it CAN be loaded in multi thread without stalling the sim but, if some extra work is required, and you only have 15-20% of the CPU power available, it will take longer than normal, and loading 3D objects cannot be done in multi-thread, so the main core will be used, which means the simulation will pause.

It's possible we might improve this, but it will have the side effect of the airport appearing more slowly and, instead of a single long pause ("long" here means 3-4 seconds), you'll end up with many small micro-pauses and the airport appearing piece by piece so, I'm not entirely sure what would be more annoying.

A real solution could only come from LM, allowing 3d objects created programmatically to be loaded in a separate thread, like the terrain.