Author Topic: Couatl  (Read 7345 times)

cstei255

Couatl
« on: February 03, 2019, 09:47:03 pm »
Curious if there are any future plans to migrate away from Coualt - it still is unstable and it seems other developers have found more stable programs for their programs.  Note - I really due enjoy FS Dreamteam products - moving on IMO would only make them better.  Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 03:19:46 am »
- There aren't any planes to "migrate away" from Couatl.

- There weren't many "other developers" using it and moving away from it. There was just one, Flightbeam, which didn't really use it or require it for doing what is supposed to do (a script language that allows to do things impossible otherwise), and instead used it only for its less important feature, which is copy protection. Paying a license to use 1% of the features is not very sensible. We use it at its fullest, of course.

- Couatl is very stable because, being an external .EXE file, it's entirely safe and can even crash *itself* without bringing down the whole sim, which is instead what can happen with each and every other addon module you installed in your sim. Everything that is a .DLL can be "unstable" and unsafe, risking the simulator stability in case of problems. Couatl, instead, is very safe and it's not posing any risk to your sim.

- Most other sceneries only require basic things like making things appearing/disappearing on demand based on some conditions, and that surely doesn't require something as powerful as Couatl, which is a full blown programming language, but we don't usually stop there. Why you think Flytampa docking systems (for example) offer you a choice between P3D native with limited functionality or more functionality but made for FS9 ?

The new KORD has working dynamic information panels on gates that shows AI informations, with ETA/ETD, stand coordinates, even reads your own flightplan dep/dest airports and shows even the progress of the GSX boarding/deboarding process, how else you think this (that no other developer has even come close to) could work, if not with a proper Python script that runs, you guess, under the Couatl interpreter ?

We even have a working AI informational panel inside the terminal, which is almost like a whole separate add-on functionality (similar to Flight1 Supertrafficboard, which is a separate addon), INSIDE the scenery. Again, a Python script that runs under Couatl.

And of course, the whole GSX and GSX Level 2, are written entirely in Python running, again, under Couatl.

So no, "moving away" from Couat doesn't obviously make any sense for us, because it would mean losing to many features we require, and losing our best-selling product too.

As an example, in case we'll ever want to start supporting X-Plane, and of course the most requested program there is GSX, the first step doing that would be programming a X-Plane version of Couatl first. After that, it would be basically done, since GSX doesn't even know it's an FSX/P3D addon: it's just a Couatl script that might as well run inside another simulator (assuming there's a Couatl for it, and it works exactly the same), without even knowing it.

That's what allowed us to be able to support P3D4 ON ITS RELEASE DAY, without dumping FSX as the same time, while many other developers are still struggling with it now and some products were even lost forever (one was AES...), because they were too heavily connected to the host sim, so they couldn't be ported very easily.

That's what allowed us to make old FSX airport working nicely in P3D4 without doing massive patches: Couatl is working behind the scenes, calling different objects and using different techniques and even different memory management, so we can just update only what is required to be update, and it's all done in the background. KMEM, for example, has a very complex terrain management system which cause some fps hit and visual issues on FSX, but it switches to a native P3D terrain in P3D4 that performs much better, without requiring two separate installs or patches, because the Couatl script that runs it does different things depending which simulator is being run under.

We'll do the same in handling the difference between PBR and non-PBR objects in what I think it's a very elegant way, still allowing everybody to use the product (not requiring *everybody* to update to P3D 4.4 *now*) in the next GSX update, which will introduce PBR, and will eventually end up replacing, gradually, all GSX objects and animations with new versions, without disrupting the program workflow. Again, all courtesy of Couatl, which is handling the two methods without requiring too many changes to GSX itself.

Other developers experienced massive fps hit with dynamic lighting. Not us, since Couatl can handle a specific fps optimization for DL that is not possible without a software module, which use advanced LOD methods (not just based on range, but using actual regions with custom shapes), showing only the DL lights closest to you, when they are required.

I haven't even started mentioning:

- The custom collision system (100% Couatl) that makes the KMEM interactive Control Tower possible, which we'll also use a lot in KORD.

- The new custom camera system we'll introduce in the next GSX update, which uses a new hybrid system of Simconnect+PDK, so we can create custom cameras on the fly WITHOUT messing with any of the default cameras in the default cameras.cfg file (like any other camera add-on out there does), and yet still be easy to manage since, again, thanks to Couatl and its integration with the Addon Manager to do the PDK part, it's all exposed to us as new Python commands, so it's all very coherent and easy to maintain.

Seeing how much complex AND powerful P3D4 has become, but has a very steep learning curve, which requires knowledge of both Simconnect and the new PDK, I can safely say we are positioned way better than anybody else to be able to fully exploit its capabilities to do something better because:

- Simconnect, which is better suited for add-ons running as external executable (due to its client-server nature), requires a .EXE module, and we have Couatl for that.

- The new PDK, which is hugely powerful and still almost entirely under-used by developers, requires a .DLL module, and we have the Addon Manager for that, which IS a PDK plugin.

- The fact that some things are only possible with Simconnect, some only with the PDK and the best way is to use that, requires a communication between your two modules, and we obviously have that.

- The fact this is all very confusing and difficult to use, since the PDK *requires* C++, while Simconnect can use C++, C# or Visual Basic, has been fixed by us long ago so, instead of losing time integrating different languages (Simconnect devs usually prefer c#), we write everything in Python, so our code is totally platform independent, and Couatl is what makes all that possible. We can easily have a line of code calling Simconnect, the next line calling the PDK, the next one calling a custom function that does, for example, animation, all from within a single script. Again, Couatl.

So no, again, asking if we'll ever "move away" from Couatl, is as a silly question as asking to Microsoft if they will ever "move away" from Windows because, as complex and sometimes infuriating Windows might be, it's not replaceable.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:21:25 am by virtuali »

cstei255

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 03:49:46 am »
Thanks.  I disagree w/ it being 'stable' as I often have issues w/ it appearing, disappearing, etc.  It hasn't kept me from buying your product for now, but I'm I finding myself avoiding your airports of late because I'm never quite sure if they will be there when I land.  I don't have those issues w/ others.  Again, I respect what you are saying and you sound very knowledgeable - but from a practical standpoint I disagree.  But thanks for your comments I was curious and now I know!
Chuck

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 04:02:21 am »
I disagree w/ it being 'stable' as I often have issues w/ it appearing, disappearing, etc. 

There are several different definitions of stable, in an add-on plugin that runs inside an host, usually TOGETHER with other add-ons:

- Stable as "safe", meaning it won't cause your sim crash. By this definition, Couatl is 100% stable, since it CANNOT crash the sim, no external .EXE could.

- Stable as "not crashing itself", which doesn't appear very often, and doesn't happen more than other addons out there. I don't think this was your case either.

- Stable as "disappearing sometimes", if this is what happens to you, this can usually appear in different ways:

1) Couatl itself has just crashed silently, thus disappearing from the menu, with no errors. This is very rare, and it's usually caused by external issues, like conflicting addons, conflicting libraries, but even bugged sound drivers can cause this, since Couatl deals with sounds directly.

2) A Python script that runs under Couatl has crashed. This always triggers some error message from it, telling you to open the log and giving the option to restart Couat. This is safe, since nothing really bad happened, and the script has just a bug, or maybe you are missing an object because something required hasn't been installed, or has been moved. When this happens, ALWAYS report this, because a bug in a script is very easy for us to fix, but it must be reported.

In all cases, problems should always be reported, supplying with the error log, because that's the only way they could be fixed.

cstei255

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 04:37:07 am »
...excellent advice.  I just checked out your documentation on my drive and it notes that all support goes via the forum...which makes complete sense.  After a quick scan of the forum I see that there are P3D categories for all airports - I assume if I have an airport issue I post it there.  Two questions (and I apologize if I missed this) - 1) If I have an issue w/ Couatl disappearing from Add-Ons drop down in P3D do I post that in the 'General' category as I don't see a specific Couatl section 2) You mention an 'error message' that always appears due to crash - will that appear on the screen (I don't recall seeing one in the past) - or is there a folder the software records messages that we should copy and send in.  I ask because if it appears and then goes away I may miss it if it's during a flight.
Thank you.
Chuck

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 04:45:25 am »
1) If I have an issue w/ Couatl disappearing from Add-Ons drop down in P3D do I post that in the 'General' category as I don't see a specific Couatl section

If it's clearly unrelated to a scenery or GSX, the General section is fine.

2) You mention an 'error message' that always appears due to crash - will that appear on the screen (I don't recall seeing one in the past) - or is there a folder the software records messages that we should copy and send in.  I ask because if it appears and then goes away I may miss it if it's during a flight.

I haven't said "always". I said the silent kind of crash, with no error, is far less common.

The more common one, is the one with the error log, which is impossible not to see, and it give you the option to either restart Couatl or see the error log. Even if you missed it, the error log is recorded here:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.ERR

Also, it's possible to enable a more extensive logging that happens even if there are no errors, by enabling logging in the Troubleshooting section of the GSX Settings page, and this will record the last session in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.LOG file.

cstei255

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 04:57:58 am »
Thank you!!

sw34669

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 10:46:27 pm »
ive been getting this error all eveing at leeds bradford. Coutl crashes and does not re-start it needs a shutdown of the whole sim. The last log entry coutl is re-starting doesnt happen. The parking position is ok ive checked it in afcad etc. thanks.

couatl v3.2 (build 4061)
panic log started on Wed Feb 20 21:33:11 2019

problem raised by engine or unspecified addon
{'Airport': 'EGNM', 'Requested assistance services at': 'Gate 3', 'User Pos': (53.868963890867654, -1.661266662669196, 212.055 m, 4.44673 m, 48.74288107059096)}
User collision geometries reloaded
Slew mode False
disconnected from SimConnect.
SharedMemInterface created
Couatl is restarting gracefully

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 10:49:14 pm »
ive been getting this error all eveing at leeds bradford. Coutl crashes and does not re-start it needs a shutdown of the whole sim. The last log entry coutl is re-starting doesnt happen. The parking position is ok ive checked it in afcad etc. thanks.

You don't say anything about:

- your configuration, which simulator you use

- which airport you are referring to. It's default ? It's 3rd party ? It's customized with GSX ? Who made the customization ?

sw34669

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 04:06:25 pm »

Thanks Umberto, im on p3d 4.4 and it's just stock. This is the only coutl crash ive ever seen as its normally rock solid stability wise. I recovered the original afcad from a backup and rebuilt the scenery index and it's stopped crashing. I had some machine crashes a while ago and i seem to remember i was at leeds bradford.
Have a good weekend, there's a huge warm front on its way up from Spain. I thought I could smell Tapas!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 11:44:22 pm »
I recovered the original afcad from a backup and rebuilt the scenery index and it's stopped crashing.

That was it. That .BGL was likely corrupted, so it's to be expected it would crash the program when it tried to open it.

cstei255

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 05:49:25 pm »
How would you prefer I send you the logs files - they exceed 2000 characters and cannot be sent via the forum
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 05:50:58 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 05:50:46 pm »
How would you prefer I send you the logs files - they exceed 2000 characters and cannot be sent via the forum.

You should ZIP the log file and Attach it to a post, not post it as a text.

cstei255

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 05:54:30 pm »
OK - Will do - also, one note - i got an error message just now that said Coualt could not start most likely due to Anti Virus/Firewall - I do not have any antivirus installed and widows firewall is turned off.

cstei255

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 06:03:03 pm »
File Attached.