Author Topic: How Does One Find A Heavy Gate at JFKv2?  (Read 4190 times)

vc-10man

How Does One Find A Heavy Gate at JFKv2?
« on: January 25, 2019, 08:45:08 pm »
Been trying for the last hour to place my 747-8i at a large enough Gate at JFKv2 but the options available in P3Dv4.4 is just Ramp GA Large, etc, etc. So obscure.

And when I press for GSX Services, up comes the red flag that the chosen GA Ramp Large is too small ! Eh?

So, how does one find a Heavy Gate as seen on other airport choices?

srcooke

Re: How Does One Find A Heavy Gate at JFKv2?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 05:12:51 pm »
Load the aircraft to a runway, select a gate from the GSX menu and warp there:

From the manual:
However, the GSX parking selection menu, which is usually called to activate a parking
or call the Follow Me car after landing, can also be used just to select a gate for
immediate positioning, replacing the standard “Go To Airport” FSX menu. You can
use the FSX menu to go to the Active runway, in order to load JFK, and then use
GSX to go to a specific gate, in order to select the gate with the easier to use GSX
menu, that doesn’t have the same limitations as the FSX menu and presents all gates
grouped by Terminal/areas and with their correct names.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:19:00 pm by srcooke »
Regards
Stephen Cooke

vc-10man

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 05:04:53 pm »
And that's a solution, is it? Well, maybe to a certain extent.

If other developers can produce airports that give me an option to select which gate I want, not what GSX thinks it wants, then the 'belt-and-braces' is not the way a developer should produce an airport.

I know. I have  a permanent fix-----just ditch all FSDT airports and GSX with it ! Belt-and-braces fixed for good.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 07:01:40 pm »
 There's no such thing as a Heavy_Gate, it's just a simple term used in FS. Know the Terminal and the spot that you should be parking at and go from there. With KJFK, it's pretty basic, the first number of the spot refers to the terminal, the last two are the Gate number.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 10:41:13 pm »
And that's a solution, is it? Well, maybe to a certain extent.

Of course it is, and it's far better than any other option.

If other developers can produce airports that give me an option to select which gate I want, not what GSX thinks it wants, then the 'belt-and-braces' is not the way a developer should produce an airport.

You either missed my quite extensive explanation of the sound reasons why we do things like that on Avsim in reply to your post, or you probably haven't took the time to read it entirely so, I'll try again:

- I already said that other developers also use what to YOU seems a "strange" naming convention,  for the same identical reason we do that: to prevent default ground vehicles to clash into our own.

- In real life, nobody calls a gate "Heavy" or "Medium". They call gate with their PROPER NAME, by Terminal and Gate and, incidentally, that's exactly how they will be presented to you with the GSX menu.

- Even in the sim, the "Heavy", "Medium" or "Small" are JUST LABELS. The ONLY thing that matters is the radius, either for GSX or for the AI airplanes. So, YOUR requirement of how a gate should be called, it's not just unrealistic and not used in aviation, but it can also be more confusing because, it doesn't say anything about its radius and its relationship with your airplane so, if you see "Heavy" on the Go To Airport menu, nobody will ensure that gate will be capable to accept a certain airplane kind.

That's precisely what the GSX menu CAN do, instead. It will compare the actual radius of the parking with your airplane wingspan, so it's a far more accurate indication of if a parking could be usable with your own airplane, instead of the confusing Heavy/Medium/Small Labels.

This settles the issue of the Heavy/Medium/Small Labels. Now, let's go to the 2nd part of the supposedly "silly" FSDT naming at JFK, which of course is far from being silly.

JFK use a naming convention which CANNOT be expressed with the standard AFCAD. As I already said on Avsim, this REAL WORLD gates cannot be expressed with the AFCAD:

"Terminal 8 Gate 32A"
"Terminal 8 Gate 32B"

So, in the AFCAD, we named them in the only sensible way we could within those limitations, so they are:

"Gate A 832"
"Gate B 832"

That's the only thing the AFCAD allows us to do, since the default naming scheme assume Terminals can only be defined by a letter, not a number.

And again, GSX can FIX THIS, by linking these two names to a more user-friendly description which, again, is what is used in real world. Other developers don't do that, simply because this kind of special naming convention can only be set in place by us, with some advanced customization options which are not available in the normal user customization.

Since you are supposed to have GSX with JFK2 (latest version doesn't even install without it, since we replace all the jetways with the new ones), we assume that, once you get used to always choosing a gate through the GSX menu rather than the limited Go To Airport menu, you wouldn't even notice how the parking spots are referenced in the AFCAD, because GSX will give you both a more accurate description of the size of the airplane, by simply telling if your airplane will fit or not, and a more clear definition, which is more realistic and it's NOT possible otherwise.

I know. I have  a permanent fix-----just ditch all FSDT airports and GSX with it ! Belt-and-braces fixed for good.

Nice try. But you are wrong.

vc-10man

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 10:37:08 am »
At last, a thorough explanation!

Yes, I am fully aware that in a real-life airport/aircraft gate-seeking or departure world, there are no such misnomers as 'heavy, medium, small, light, etc,etc'

But as Dave_YVR has explained, now I can follow your lettering/numbering to find the gates.