Author Topic: CTD in P3D v4.4 over Hudson Bay.  (Read 21291 times)

Neume

CTD in P3D v4.4 over Hudson Bay.
« on: December 23, 2018, 10:04:08 pm »
I am having the exact same issue as downscc in this post from April: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,17615.0/prev_next,prev.html#new when flying from EGLL to KSFO.

This time though, it is an ntdll.dll crash. Here is the exact position where the simulator crashed: https://i.imgur.com/B8EARM4.png

(I am the blue aircraft)

PMDG 747
GSX
FTX Global
Flightbeam KSFO

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: CTD in P3D v4.4 over Hudson Bay.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:45:42 am »
Could you please try this test version of the Addon Manager .DLL and see if you notice any improvements flying that area ?

http://betaupdate.fsdreamteam.com/setup/fsdtroot/bglmanx64.dll

kikigey89

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 07:54:51 pm »
I tried and I had no CTD near Newfoundland but an api.dll crash (which is new to me) during descent to JFK.
I have no idea if it's related but thought better to report. Pics attached.

Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 10:58:09 am »
I tried and I had no CTD near Newfoundland but an api.dll crash (which is new to me) during descent to JFK.

API.DLL crash doesn't have anything to do with this issue, and since you were flying over 10K feet, it's not possible that can have anything to do with any of our software, since now *both* GSX and the Addon Manager are not doing anything above that altitude.

API.DLL crash can be any software that use Simconnect so, basically, can be anything, while the other crash over Newfoundland/Canada was an NTDLL.DLL crash, which was caused BY THE SIM ITSELF, which crashed when accessed some data from the facilities which lead to likely corrupted navigation data in the default scenery.

It was TRIGGERED by both GSX+Addon Manager, but that doesn't obviously mean it was our fault: we only asked the sim a list of nearby airports and navigation data and, because something in that areas has an issue that, when *somebody* ask for navigation data in that area, the sim will crash BY ITSELF when accessing it.

So, we just changed the software to stop asking for any data while cruising, which should fix most of the problems.

headley

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 01:40:11 pm »
Could you please try this test version of the Addon Manager .DLL and see if you notice any improvements flying that area ?

Hi Umberto,

Did you have more feedback concerning this new dll?
If i install the new dll, will it be replaced by the old one after running the liveupdate?
Regards,

William V.

ArcherII

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 04:10:25 pm »
I've flown from Iceland to Nantucket, through Greenland and Terranova, using the new dll. No crash.

headley

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 05:08:19 pm »
Well that's good news then :)
Regards,

William V.

headley

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 07:48:51 pm »

Hi Umberto,

Did you have more feedback concerning this new dll?
If i install the new dll, will it be replaced by the old one after running the liveupdate?

Well, i have just started liveupdate and it seems that the newer bglmanx64.dll (version 4.5.0.14) was replaced by the older (original) version 4.5.0.13 ???
Regards,

William V.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 12:08:46 am »
Well, i have just started liveupdate and it seems that the newer bglmanx64.dll (version 4.5.0.14) was replaced by the older (original) version 4.5.0.13 ???

Of course, we haven't published it officially, that's why there's a forum download link, so you must download it again and overwrite it, until we'll release it officially, which will come with a fairly large update that will be out in the next weeks.

Airmaz1

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 12:32:20 am »
Fairly large update that will be out in the next weeks.

I like the sound of that.  ;D

bryn

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 05:42:42 am »
Umberto, could you also provide a 32 bit version? While this seems to have fixed P3Dv4, I still get this crash on v3.

Perhaps the crash comes from bglman trying to look at data that does not yet exist in memory.  As you come in from the Atlantic, I imagine the vector (or whatever) of facility objects is empty. The unusual thing about Canadian airports is many of them are missing basic features, like parking positions, taxiway nodes and paths, and runway paths. This isn't corrupt data - it's just not there because these airports are sparse in real life too. Perhaps the first (and initially only) airport that is loaded into the vector of airport objects is missing something (let's say parking positions), and as you try and loop through the entire population of parking positions (which you assume must exist because, hey, there's at least one airport in the object vector and surely all airports have parking positions), the program crashes, because there are no parking positions and the index for the loop is automatically out of range.

This sort of scenario would fit with the observation that the crash doesn't happen when flying the other way. The size of the population of parking positions (or whatever) is not zero, because other airports with parking spots are already loaded into the vector.

Bryn
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:57:04 am by bryn »

Neume

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 11:24:54 pm »
I'll try that new DLL file. Hopefully all goes well.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Luke

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 10:22:23 pm »
Perhaps the crash comes from bglman trying to look at data that does not yet exist in memory.

The Addon Manager is not trying to do anything of that sort, like trying to decide how or when to look at that data.

It uses a simulator API request, and will ask the sim to get that data by ITSELF and, it's has been already proven it's the sim that crashes ITSELF on facilities.dll so, it's clearly a problem of the data or, quite simply, a simulator bug that has always been there, but nobody found it so far, because nobody else uses that API, which is a faster version of Simconnect, so it's not very popular, and most of 3rd party airplanes have their own internal database so, while we eliminate this way the need to keep a separate database and we don't have the issue to keep it synchronized with the simulator data, we might be exposed to possible bugs with it.

But as you said yourself, the problem is fixed in 64 bit, because we sidestepped it, by stopping any request while cruising. Unfortunately, I cannot post a 32 bit version of the updated .DLL, because we are in the middle of other updates, so they must all published together, because the current version I'm working with is not compatible with the released version so, I'm afraid you must wait for the official next update to get the new 32 bit version.

Also, you must understand that, sooner or later we'll drop support for 32 bit entirely, because it's hampering both our productivity and the reliability of anything new we put out. The next big update, for example, will cover almost exclusively P3D4.4-specific features and, considering the latest stats we saw on flight simulator usage (the ones released by Navigraph), 32 bit versions of P3D are being abandoned by users very fast.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:52:22 am by virtuali »

bryn

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 06:40:07 am »
Umberto, That was very informative.  Thanks.

Thanks also for eventually including the fix in 32 bit. I’m only sticking with a side install of P3D3 while theres still a few aircraft not yet updated for v4. The FSLabs Concorde, the level d 767, THE PMDG MD11, the simcheck A300, and the feelthere 737s still only work in 32 bit. But that list is dwindling and of course I acknowledge support for 32 bit will eventually end.

Bryn

Jov53

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 07:52:29 pm »
I have the same problems.
Always C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll crash.

I also get it on a flight from ZSPD to LTBA somwhere over Russia