Author Topic: Any tricks to help performance of KSDF in FSX?  (Read 4365 times)

molleh

Any tricks to help performance of KSDF in FSX?
« on: December 23, 2018, 07:39:49 pm »
I have KMEM in FSX and performance there is quite good, even with all the eye candy turned on, minimum FPS of about 26. KSDF on the other hand is far worse, around 13fps, and as low as 9fps depending on the view direction! Are there any settings I can change to improve it? The control-F12 settings only have 3D cars and ground traffic. Both of those are already disabled, and strangely even with them enabled there isn't a big change in FPS.

By comparison, I have P3D v4.4 installed as well, and while KMEM performance is roughly similar between FSX/P3D, KSDF is vastly different in P3D, peforming smoothly in P3D (about the same performance as KMEM or even better) but very poorly in FSX. That's even in the PMDG 747-400 which is FAR worse on the frames on my PC than the MD-11 I use in FSX.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 08:05:49 pm by molleh »

molleh

Re: Any tricks to help performance of KSDF in FSX?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 06:07:46 pm »
Some more testing at KSDF in FSX reveals that performance is perfect before the dawn -> day "switch", or after dusk -> night. I go from ~40 fps one second then bam, it tanks to 12 fps. For example, with date/time set to current, at 8:20 am it's silky smooth at 40fps, then the clock rolls around to 8:23 am and there's an instantaneous FPS hit. I can't see any additional models that are loading to account for the performance hit.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:19:22 pm by molleh »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:57:28 am »
I have P3D v4.4 installed as well, and while KMEM performance is roughly similar between FSX/P3D, KSDF is vastly different in P3D, performing smoothly in P3D (about the same performance as KMEM or even better) but very poorly in FSX.

You posted the reason why we are not developing any new scenery for FSX, far better than I could possibly do.

molleh

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 02:07:01 pm »
I get that, but at least any idea what causes the drop in FPS as the sun comes up?

molleh

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 04:11:08 pm »
Well, chalk this one up to not reading the manual. It was the aircraft shadows option killing the framerate. With that disabled, it runs silky smooth and every bit as smooth as in P3D. :) Thanks for checking in with me, Umberto.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:12:50 pm by molleh »

ahuimanu

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 05:48:01 pm »
Also came here today to look up performance for P3D.  The stutters on approach are very difficult in terms of smooth flying.  Could there be a configurable setting to turn something off in the scenery itself rather than not doing shadows?  I am referencing P3D 4.4 with this inquiry.

Thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 12:37:15 am »
Also came here today to look up performance for P3D.  The stutters on approach are very difficult in terms of smooth flying.  Could there be a configurable setting to turn something off in the scenery itself rather than not doing shadows?  I am referencing P3D 4.4 with this inquiry.

The scenery doesn't have any issues or performance problems in P3D4, and surely doesn't stutter. If you see stuttering, you must have changed something in your simulator configuration that is causing stuttering. Check all of this:

- Turn Hyperthreading OFF in the BIOS

- Remove ANY tweak to the AffinityMask settings. Use the default (no setting at all), and combined with the HT off, see if it improves.