Author Topic: Autopilot and Radio explainations  (Read 163397 times)

Gunfighterj

Re: Autopilot and Radio explainations
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 04:39:41 pm »
First Can any1 tell me what TACAN is? And second is there a way that u can set up an intercept course on another flying aircraft?

Razgriz

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 03:48:50 am »
Not unless they had a VOR out of them, or a non-moving target.. :o

Razgriz

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 02:50:14 am »
I still don't get how to set my NAV radio.  I went into my ILS page on the pad, set my MFD to ILS, typed in my code but no needles.  Can we get a picture or some easier instructions??

Edit:

My NAV1 radio, if I type in 1-0-9-3, it goes to 109.29.. :S

I tried 1-0-9-3-1 and it goes to 109.34...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:15:02 am by Razgriz »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 01:33:44 pm »
I don't know what to say: I can't reproduce it, just tried it now, and 1-0-9-3 then ENT key, results in the 30X channels tuned, which is 109,30, and switching to the C172, confirms the NAV radio is tuned to 109,30.

brettt777

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 02:22:44 am »
You could (just use the standard hot-keys for the APP mode) but it hasn't been designed or tested to do it. We are using the standard A/P code in FSX, which I'm not sure is able to cope with the specific approach beaviors of a jet fighter, perhaps it will work in good weather on a real runway, but probably not in bad weather and certainly not on a carrier.

I remember back in my Nav Air days we actualy did have a so-called "hands off" landing on the carriers. It was the ILS/ACLS system tied to the AP and it also had an APC (automatic power compensator) that adjusted the throttle so it was a true hands off carrier landing if the pilot hand the cahonas to do it.

brettt777

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 02:24:25 am »
The TACAN function for the Acceleration F/A-18 is not a complete simulation of the Tacan system, that (when used on a military airplane) allows for radial informations. The Tacan system we have is just a convenience that will allow to tune "by channel" instead of "by frequency", but the underlining system is still the standard FSX so, it assumes all airplanes use a civilian receiver so, TACAN works as DME only, without radials.

That would explain why I would get Tacan distance on the HUD but no radial info...

brettt777

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2008, 02:27:40 am »
This thing has quite the avionics package. Now if we only had target tracking info on the HUD...

brettt777

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2008, 06:00:28 am »
First Can any1 tell me what TACAN is? And second is there a way that u can set up an intercept course on another flying aircraft?

TACAN is an acronym for TACtical Air NAVigation. I was familiar with it back in my Nav Air days but that was 20 years ago. If I remember right (guys, help me out here, it's been a long time so feel free to correct me if I'm talking out my back side), it is primarily a military thing. I don't think you'd see one in a GA or commercial plane but I could be wrong about that. What it is is a transmitter/receiver in the aircraft and a transmitter/receiver at the ground station. Again if I remember correctly the ground station transmits various pulses in a certain pattern (I don't have the time or the room to draw a picture of how it does it...it is a bit complicated if memory serves) and depending on what direction the aircraft is from the radiated pattern and compared to a reference burst it receives it and displays it, usualy on an HSI. Unlike VOR where the HSI displays intercept info to a certain radial, TACAN shows direct heading to the station. Like I said there is a transmitter in the aircraft that is used for getting DME info from the station also. The system I worked with also had a way to connect with another aircraft and you could get slant range to that aircraft. I don't recall if you could get bearing info as well. Unfortunately in the Accel Pack FA-18, as virtuali said, the only TACAN function we have is the DME. I hope I didn't confuse you too much. It has been a long time. As for the second question, someone else has to answer that one...

dancd

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 09:10:31 pm »
This thread will help me considerably in respect of the subject heading. Could you add one further line please to indicate how I fire up the HUD. Many thanks

Tregarth

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 09:46:30 pm »
I am sorry to be stupid but I cannot make the F-18 radios tune to the ILS on Radio 1 and VOR on Radio 2.

I thought the sequence was

1. Click on the right button below M so it changes to 2
2. Click the TCN button (it shows as VOR page)
3. Enter VOR Frequency  11495 ENTER

But nothing seems to appear on the DDI.

Where am I going wrong, please

PVI_Eagle

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 08:52:36 pm »
I still don't get how to set my NAV radio.  I went into my ILS page on the pad, set my MFD to ILS, typed in my code but no needles.  Can we get a picture or some easier instructions??

Edit:

My NAV1 radio, if I type in 1-0-9-3, it goes to 109.29.. :S

I tried 1-0-9-3-1 and it goes to 109.34...

I have the same problem...........

PVI_Eagle

Pop

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2009, 04:16:35 pm »
may have missed it, but see my post on "tacan" below. Any ideas??? POP

Pop

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 01:34:25 pm »
To get the "needles" on the MFD u must select "CSEL" on the MFD. Then below the "bingo" switch (just above left knee) -2 switchs cus and hdg. they will allow uto set the heading bug and the cus line!

neutrino

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 11:32:36 am »
The FSX Hornet has only one NAV radio, so you can select only one frequency at any one time and depending on the station you are receiving from you can be in either VOR or ILS mode.

But my question is - does the real Hornet has only one NAV radio, because I've seen on its HUD both ILS needles and steering arrow and dots?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:38:01 pm by neutrino »

Pop

saved mission prob
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2009, 03:18:41 pm »
Strange problem! I have several missions with the F18 “saved”. When I load some of the missions the A/C come in with the AutoThrottle on, which make the a/c scoot across the landscape till I can get the brake on and turn it off. Other missions are OK.
Have ensured the AT is off and “resaved” the mission, but to no avail? Suggestions?
 ???