Author Topic: XPOI Does Not Work  (Read 15196 times)

wbdrc

XPOI Does Not Work
« on: June 30, 2009, 06:25:48 am »
XPOI installed but can not bring up menues using function keys. I do not know how to trouble shoot this problem. In FSX I do not get the Couati-powered products, kEY mAPPINGS..., xpoi - sETTINGS... WHEN CLICKING ON
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:42:35 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: XPOI Does Not Work
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 12:46:16 pm »
If you don't see the Couatl powered plugin menu, XPOI can't obviously work, because it's a plugin written for that scripting engine.

Have you installed it recently ? Are you using the current installer ? If not sure, download it again.

Do you recall FSX asking you to authorize the Couatl scripting engine to run ? Have you replied Yes ?
Do you recall FSX asking you to authorize the Addon Manager to run ? Have you replied Yes ?

Also, check if you have a file named "Couatl.err" in your %APPDATA%\virtuali\ folder and if you have one, post its content.

wbdrc

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:35:35 pm »
Have you installed it recently ? Are you using the current installer ? If not sure, download it again.

I purchased it 6/27/09. I'm using the current .exe file to install. I have downloaded the install 3 times with the same negative results. I've removed the program prior to reinstall using Microsft's "Programs and Features"

Do you recall FSX asking you to authorize the Couatl scripting engine to run ? Have you replied Yes ?

I've not been prompted to authorize the install of the "Couatl scripting engine".

Do you recall FSX asking you to authorize the Addon Manager to run ? Have you replied Yes ?

Addon Manager is on the computer. I do not recall FSX asking me to authorize Addon Manager to run. It is listed in FSX under Add-ons along with FSUIPC. I also have KFLL installed! Addon Manager, when run, shows both XPOI & KFLL as being ACTIVE! To be fair, when I go to KFLL I'm fairly sure it isn't running either. The KFLL scenery appears to be the DEFAULT. The red power plant stacks are missing. KFLL shows in the Scenery listing as being added and active??

Also, check if you have a file named "Couatl.err" in your %APPDATA%\virtuali\ folder and if you have one, post its content.

I do not have "Couatl.err" anywhere on my computer.

Any help will be appreciated,

wbdrc (Bill Derenburger)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:42:14 pm »
Ok, so you have the Addon Manager menu, but you don't have the Couatl powered plugins menu. That's why XPOI doesn't work.

Can you please post the content of your %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\EXE.XML file ?

Also, open your FSX.CFG with Notepad ( it's located in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\ folder ), and look in the [Trusted] section, if you have any reference to the couatl.exe file. If you have, remove the *whole* line that contains it, save the file, launch FSX again, and please note if you get a request to trust the Couatl scripting engine, and obviously reply Yes.

If you still don't get any request to start it, perhaps it's the antivirus blocking it. Try to exclude the whole FSX folder from scanning OR, exclude the fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe file from scanning, and reinstall XPOI again, with the antivirus configured as such.

wbdrc

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 01:45:15 am »
Can you please post the content of your %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\EXE.XML file ?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?>
- <SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>EXE.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>True</Launch.ManualLoad>
- <Launch.Addon>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Name>GoFlight Hardware Interface</Name>
  <Path>C:\Program Files\GoFlight\GFDevFSX.exe</Path>
  <CommandLine />
  </Launch.Addon>
  </SimBase.Document>

Also, open your FSX.CFG with Notepad ( it's located in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\ folder ), and look in the [Trusted] section, if you have any reference to the couatl.exe file. If you have, remove the *whole* line that contains it, save the file, launch FSX again, and please note if you get a request to trust the Couatl scripting engine, and obviously reply Yes.

There is no reference to "couatl.exe" fiile in the [TRUSTED] sectioon of the FSX.CFG file.

If you still don't get any request to start it, perhaps it's the antivirus blocking it. Try to exclude the whole FSX folder from scanning OR, exclude the fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe file from scanning, and reinstall XPOI again, with the antivirus configured as such.

I can turn off my antivirus program, delete the XPOI program and then reinstall XOPI. I sure do not know how to exclude the fsdreamteam\couati\couati.exe since I've never seen it! Will shutting down the antivirus protection be sufficient?

wbdrc
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:03:21 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 02:01:29 am »
There's a problem with your EXE.XML file: there's no Couatl launching line at all, no wonder it doesn't start...

Your EXE.XML has a wrong tag in the GoFlight section: the <CommandLine> tag is not opened/closed normally, it should either be something like this:

<CommandLine></CommandLine>

OR

no <CommandLine> at all, because there's no actual command line parameter supplied anyway, so that tag is not needed.

Try to fix the tag or just remove it, and run the XPOI installer again.

wbdrc

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 05:14:37 pm »
There's a problem with your EXE.XML file: there's no Couatl launching line at all, no wonder it doesn't start...

Your EXE.XML has a wrong tag in the GoFlight section: the <CommandLine> tag is not opened/closed normally, it should either be something like this:

<CommandLine></CommandLine>

OR

no <CommandLine> at all, because there's no actual command line parameter supplied anyway, so that tag is not needed.

Try to fix the tag or just remove it, and run the XPOI installer again.

I WAS UNABLE TO EDIT OUT <CommandLine></CommandLine>

I WAS UNABLE TO DISABLE McAfee Antivirus Suite.

I removed XPOI and reinstalled. Negative result.  Help

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 05:21:19 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 05:25:01 pm »
I WAS UNABLE TO EDIT OUT <CommandLine></CommandLine>

You only need to open the EXE.XML file with Notepad, change the line accordingly, save it back, then reinstall XPOI.

I WAS UNABLE TO DISABLE McAfee Antivirus Suite.

I don't think it's the antivirus at this point.

I removed XPOI and reinstalled. Negative result.

It's no use reinstalling, if you don't fix the file first. If you really can't, I've attached an already edited EXE.XML file that you can replace over the existing one.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:44:09 pm by virtuali »

wbdrc

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:11:35 pm »
I copied the supplied exe.xml file & replaced the one in my folder. I then reran XPOI. I got a message at the end of the install that said there was an error in my exe.xml file which had been replaced during the install. Upon FSX restart XPOI still does not function!

wbdrc

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 08:19:55 pm »
I forgot to add that now my GOFlight panel will not load, so the exe.xml file you supplied has also screwed that up. I'd like you to supply me with a new EXE.XML file that will allow my GOFlight panel to load automatically on FSX start up.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 10:44:40 pm »
Ok, sorry, there was an extra space in the header that I haven't noticed.

If you download it again, it should be correct now

wbdrc

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 11:30:56 pm »
I kept a back up of the original EXE.XML so I used it to repair my GoFlight system. XPOI will not work on my system unless you can figure out a cure. By the way, when you edit a .XML file in a txt editor you end up with a .txt file, not a .XML file. OK

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 12:18:37 am »
I kept a back up of the original EXE.XML so I used it to repair my GoFlight system.

Have you read my previous message ? I've fixed the file, it should work now. The download counter still read 0 so, it means you haven't tried the correct version.

XPOI will not work on my system unless you can figure out a cure.

Yes, XPOI will work on your system, if you use the XML file I've corrected for you. I've already figured out a cure, the problem was the tag in the Goflight section, it should now work, if you use the file.

By the way, when you edit a .XML file in a txt editor you end up with a .txt file, not a .XML file.

No, you don't, the file would still be a valid XML that FSX can read. In fact, FSX default XML files ARE .txt files, with an XML extension. By "Txt files" I mean a file that uses standard windows-style CR+LF line breaks, which are usually not needed in XML, but nonetheless ARE allowed, and that's the main difference compared to a .txt so, there are absolutely no problems editing XML files with a TXT editor, provided of course that editor is a pure text editor, not a word-processor, that's why I said you had to used Notepad, which can be used for this.

wbdrc

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 06:12:20 pm »
Thank you for the help. I'll try your corrected EXE.XML and see how I make out. Thanks for the lesson on editing. I normally use Notepad. Losing my GoFlight capability "made me very gun shy". I'll save my old one in case I get screwed up again.

Bill

wbdrc

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 10:42:53 pm »
SUCCESS!! Thank you very much for your help and solution to my problems. My faith is restored! You do good work.

wbdrc