Author Topic: Installation question for P3Dv4  (Read 3551 times)

jay907uk

Installation question for P3Dv4
« on: November 24, 2018, 06:39:10 pm »
Hi,

To install all products into P3Dv4 do I need to re-run the installer and point it to where v4 installed? I do have everything installed for P3Dv3 which is on a separate drive but not sure what the process is for putting onto P3Dv4?

Will this mean I'll also get another icon for FSDT Live update specifically for P3Dv4?

Thanks

Jason

jay907uk

Re: Installation question for P3Dv4
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 12:31:01 pm »
Please could someone from FSDream team advice me on this, I would be very grateful. As I don't want to do something wrong hence I'm asking?

Thanks

Jason

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 06:52:46 pm »
There's no need to install into the sim. The installer uses a shared location so, if you have several simulators installed (FSX, P3D3, P3D4), it won't unnecessarily triple the hard drive space used.

So, you are not supposed to point out the simulator folder. You are only asking to confirm or not the default installation folder that, unless you don't have enough space on C:, it's the most sensible choice.

If you don't have enough space on C:, you can choose another drive, like D:, and it will install into D:\Addon Manager, and it's perfectly fine.

Also, if you already have installed in P3D3, and you installed "into" the simulator, it's best if you uninstall everything from FSDT, then reintall everything using only the latest installers, so you can have everything running under both simulators, but installed in the dedicated Addon Manager folder, outside the sim, and with no wasted space.

jay907uk

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 09:12:51 pm »
Umberto,

I've got P3Dv3 installed on C:Drive and P3Dv4 installed onto D:Drive.

So by running the latest installers will it install into both simulators automatically?

Thanks

Jason

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 09:16:29 pm »
So by running the latest installers will it install into both simulators automatically?

Yes but, as I've said in my previous post, if you already have installed in P3D3, and you installed "into" the simulator, it's best if you uninstall everything from FSDT, then reinstall everything using only the latest installers, so you can have everything running under both simulators, but installed in the dedicated Addon Manager folder, outside the sim, and with no wasted space.

jay907uk

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 09:49:03 pm »
I've just checked the Addon Manager folder and this didn't install directly into the simulator. I'll remove everything so I can run the latest installers and this will then do as you said.

The Addon Msanager is on C: same as P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 is on D:

Cheers

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 12:21:18 am »
I've just checked the Addon Manager folder and this didn't install directly into the simulator.

So you already used a fairly recent installer. We stopped installing into the sim since P3D4 came out, but we did for all supported simulators but you still could decide to point the installation to a simulator folder.

Since, from your report, you seem to have accepted the default location on C:\Program Files, it's all fine, you only need to run the installer again, to let it add the product to P3D4, and that's all. If you have other FSDT sceneries, do the same, with no need to uninstall.

dron960

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 04:30:09 pm »
Good afternoon.
Please tell me why GSX is always installed with one error. The sound component is installed on the way to D:\Addon Manager\Sound a must be installed on the path to D:\Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\sounds. It is necessary to correct all the time manually. Other components are installed without errors.
Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 05:05:48 pm »
Please tell me why GSX is always installed with one error.

It's not.

The sound component is installed on the way to D:\Addon Manager\Sound

That's the correct folder, and that's what the installer installs.

a must be installed on the path to D:\Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\sounds.

And why you think so ?

The Sound folder in the add-on.xml is used only for sounds the simulator ITSELF must be able to find, and this is the D:\Addon Manager\Sound folder, because some effects have sounds and the simulator must be able to find sound effects on its own to create effects.

Instead, the couatl\GSX\sounds folder is a folder PRIVATE to GSX, which comes with its own separate sound engine, and the simulator doesn't have any need to find waves there, because GSX knows how to find them without any need to add the folder to the add-on.xml file, that's why the installer correctly doesn't do it.

In fact, adding this folder to the add-on.xml file, is putting unnecessary strain on the simulator, because it will add a new folder that will be always searched when a sound is played, when the simulator has no need whatsoever to look into there, since GSX has its own means to find its own sounds, and the sim is not supposed to use them directly.