Author Topic: DE-ICING PUSHBACK 'BUG'  (Read 9949 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: DE-ICING PUSHBACK 'BUG'
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 11:31:46 pm »
Just wanted to clarify the above, you said that GSX receives its weather through SimConnect. You then went on to say that "GSX is not able to defend itself from other weather apps." Does that mean that GSX is also receiving METAR data from an addon like Active Sky then using that to determine temp/dew point?

GSX is only reading the Metar for the active airport through Simconnect, it doesn't try to read it in any other way or possibly directly from other applications, it just assume that, anything that set the weather in a certain way, would affect the Metar report received through Simconnect.

The only reason to read the Metar is to get the Dew point but, since the Temperature is also there, it reads both from the Metar and, in any case the Metar is missing or corrupted, it always allows deicing, which user can always decide not to perform (so it's better than deny deicing in case of doubt)

That's why with the next update, we'll read the standard Temperature variable AND the Metar and, if they don't agree, we'll trust the Temperature variable over the Temperature read from Metar, and will just ignore the Dew point in that case.

BTScott

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 11:41:18 pm »
I've been getting the deicing thing at FlightBeam DEN for weeks now and it's June 28th!!! That's just ridiculous!! How can I turn off the deicing option in GSX???

Btw, Why not have the deicing feature just run from December thru March?

Bruce

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 11:47:58 pm »
I've been getting the deicing thing at FlightBeam DEN for weeks now and it's June 28th!!! That's just ridiculous!!

How can I turn off the deicing option in GSX???

By saying "no" to it, when asked ?

Haven't you even read the explanation, and why this was obviously made on purpose, when Metar (usually from 3rd party weather engines) comes corrupted or missing ?

Btw, Why not have the deicing feature just run from December thru March?[

Please read the explanation, which says how we'll deal with this missing data in the upcoming update.

BTScott

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2019, 02:27:12 am »
Yes, I did read the posts regarding this, before posting!!

When you say *NO* to it you still get instructions about --- *due to icing conditions don't start engines until pushback is completed and parking brake is set!* Like I said That's ridiculous! I don't want to hear anything about icing after March!

TorbenJA

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2019, 10:02:27 am »
Icing condition exists regardless of month of the year. So it is rediculous to have a deicing feature running based at date.

regards
Torben

BTScott

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2019, 07:12:35 pm »
Icing conditions on the ground??? In June? Are you joking?  ::)  Where do you live?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2019, 10:20:43 pm »
Icing conditions on the ground??? In June? Are you joking?  ::)  Where do you live?

Please stop about this nonsense about preventing the bogus icing condition caused by missing Metar data using 3rd party weather addons based on the date (and no, not everybody flies in the temperate zone in the Northern Hemisphere...).

The thread I linked, which you said you read, clearly explain how this will change in the next update, and it should be obvious why that's the proper approach.

TorbenJA

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2019, 10:38:05 pm »
ENSB 291850Z 12011KT 9999 FEW027 BKN040 04/M01 Q1006 RMK WIND 1400FT 08010KT

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2019, 12:17:18 am »
ENSB 291850Z 12011KT 9999 FEW027 BKN040 04/M01 Q1006 RMK WIND 1400FT 08010KT

I don't know what you are trying to say here. That's a Metar report. That doesn't automatically mean GSX got THIS same report from Simconnect, which is the issue I already explained, so many times.

And again, why keep insisting on this ?

We already fixed this, and the thread I linked so many times, clearly explains what GSX will do when the Temperatjure it got from a Simconnect Metar Report and the Temperature it got from a Simconnect Variable are NOT in agreement, it will trust the temperature in the Simconnect Variable rather than the temperature in the Metar which has been proven to be possibly unreliable, especially when using 3rd party weather engines.

And in this case, it will use a simpler de-icing detection, based only on temperature, rather than Temperature+Dew Point as it normally does. The Dew Point doesn't have a Simconnect Variable and the only way to get it is from the Simconnect Metar.

I really don't understand what's more to add, I tried to condense the previous linked thread that apparently nobody wants to read or understand in a sentence as short as possible, and I don't know what else to do to stop people assuming this is a GSX bug, when we already explained countless of times that, when the Metar is missing/corrupted/outdated, we purposely decided to ALLOW a de-icing you can always reject, rather than PREVENT a de-icing that you might NEED and don't have a chance to call if GSX doesn't allow it.

The update is not far away, since Esellerate will close down on Monday...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 12:18:51 am by virtuali »

TorbenJA

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2019, 07:57:56 am »
Hi Virtuali
I only tried to point out to BTScott that icing condition might appear in any month of the year somewhere on Earth and as GSX is used by people from all over the World, so a date-based icimg condition on-off setting is not going to work. I simply took a current metar, which showed low temperature (unfortunately no percipitation but obviously this could have been the case, too) and thus possible icing condition exists. I could probably also have looked into an Alaskan airfield or an airfield in the Southern Hemisphere for icing condition to be found.
I'm sure you'll find a workable solution to the discrepancy between the metar I recieve from my weather program and the string send via simconnect. Why they might be different I just wonder.

Looking forward to the update.
regards
Torben

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2019, 10:00:31 am »
I only tried to point out to BTScott that icing condition might appear in any month of the year somewhere on Earth and as GSX is used by people from all over the World, so a date-based icimg condition on-off setting is not going to work.

Ok, sorry, I didn't look at it carefully enough.

I'm sure you'll find a workable solution to the discrepancy between the metar I recieve from my weather program and the string send via simconnect. Why they might be different I just wonder.

We don't have any idea why the two don't match. That's only one of the two possible cases when we enable deicing if not sure about the data. The other is the Metar not even arriving, or being updated, maybe because the weather engine set a new weather and GSX asked for it before it could be updated by Simconnect.

And as I've said, too many times, we already found a workable solution for the upcoming update, which has been explained plenty of times, last time in my previous post.

BTScott

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2019, 01:15:16 am »
I have solved this problem without installing the update! If anyone is interested go into the GSX Folder inside the Addon Manager folder and remove the Wave sound file    start_before_push_ice_warning. The *Due to icing conditions ----- * aural warning goes away and push back works normally. Unfortunately the warning still shows in the text on the green ribbon at the top of the screen, but there is no aural warning. Works for me! Wish there was a way to turn off those annoying text narratives!

Due to the enormous amount of problems with the update, for FSX that is, I won't be installing it.

Bruce

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2019, 03:13:32 am »
I have solved this problem without installing the update! If anyone is interested go into the GSX Folder inside the Addon Manager folder and remove the Wave sound file    start_before_push_ice_warning. The *Due to icing conditions ----- * aural warning goes away and push back works normally. Unfortunately the warning still shows in the text on the green ribbon at the top of the screen, but there is no aural warning. Works for me! Wish there was a way to turn off those annoying text narratives!
Actually, if you go into the GSX settings and set the Verbosity to 0, it turns it off.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2019, 11:53:53 am »
Due to the enormous amount of problems with the update, for FSX that is, I won't be installing it.

Your comment is obsolete, because it was made based on a cursory reading of the initial problems, without checking WHAT caused them and HOW they were eventually fixed, because they obviously have. The update works just fine FSX and there are no problems with it anymore.

So, the proper approach is, install it and, if YOU still have problems, report them.

Obviously the supposed "deicing bug" has been "fixed" in the update.

BTScott

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2019, 05:09:35 pm »
Kevin -- I would assume that if you set the verbosity to 0 it would mute the rest of the narrative as well. I don't want to do that.

Umberto -- You are correct. I did not read all the threads and so I don't know what has been fixed in FSX. I just figured with 5 or so pages of problems there must be some real problems that will take quite a while to fix. I thought you would be overwhelmed and it would take a month or so to sort it out. I'll give it some more time and then roll the dice!  You are a brilliant and creative developer, without question! Condescending to the point of insulting at times, but brilliant just the same!  ;D

Btw, is there a way to turn off/on the green text line at the top?

Bruce