Author Topic: Windows 10 and couatl not showing up in menu **SOLVED**  (Read 5784 times)

Charlie44

Windows 10 and couatl not showing up in menu **SOLVED**
« on: November 04, 2018, 06:24:17 am »
Folks,
I've had your scenery products for years, and have never been able to get them to work on PC's running XP or Windows7 with FSX.  I've wasted countless hours on this with no fix.  I've now got a beefed up PC running Windows 10 and, supposedly I need to try to install couatl3-- but it's nowhere to be found.  I would like some help here.  I've been a customer of yours for years, and have never been able to get the scenery to work correctly.  Needless to say, I'm very disappointed with FSDT and their products.  If I can't get this scenery to run on this PC, then I've wasted $135 which I can't afford to waste.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:22:48 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Windows 10 and couatl not showing up in menu
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 07:14:12 pm »
I'm not sure what do you mean with "I need to try to install couatl3-- but it's nowhere to be found". Everything required to run the products is of course included in the installers.

Just be sure you use their CURRENT version, not some old downloads you might have downloaded years ago. And, as usual, configure the antivirus to exclude the whole Addon Manager folder from scanning.

Charlie44

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 07:25:22 pm »
Hello,
I read on one of the forums that in order to get the scenery to run on Windows 10, couatl version 3 needed to be installed.  In any event, I've got four scenery packs installed, and none of them work.  I've installed the serial numbers on all of them-- error messages say that the temporary license has expired.  I would appreciate any help you could give.  Unfortunately there's no way I can disable the Windows firewall.  I had the install packages saved on my network at home, and I believe those are the packages I used to install on Windows 10.  I will see if there's any way to install newer packages.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:28:06 pm by Charlie44 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 07:58:09 pm »
Download the current installer from our site. Don't use old installers.

Charlie44

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 08:28:30 pm »
I have downloaded the four packages from the fsdt website.  I have installed one, and received two errors, which are attached.  Since I received these errors, I have not tried to launch FSX yet.

Charlie44

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 08:40:27 pm »
I launched FSX, and received the error that couatl didn't launch-- possibly due to anti-virus.  There's no anti-virus running on this PC at the moment, and the firewalls are turned off.

Charlie44

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 09:14:24 pm »
I've tried everything, and rebooted three times.  This is nuts.  Attached is the last error I can't get beyond.  The folder was added to the a/v exclusion list yesterday, so that can't be the problem.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 09:32:10 pm »
Try after a Windows restart. If that doesn't fix it, see this thread here about fixing a problem with your VC++ libraries missing:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,17484.msg122656.html#msg122656

Charlie44

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 10:36:46 pm »
Well, I uninstalled all three versions of visual c++.  The installer wouldn't let me install the 2015 versions, apparently because it saw that version 2017 was already installed.  Well, when I tried to launch FSX, it wouldn't even launch due to the missing 2015 c++ files.  After another hour of wasted time, I've been able to get FSX to launch now.  But still couatl won't launch.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 11:47:36 pm »
Well, I uninstalled all three versions of visual c++.  The installer wouldn't let me install the 2015 versions, apparently because it saw that version 2017 was already installed. 

Then you should uninstall the 2017 version, reinstall the 2015 version, check if GSX works, and reinstall the 2017 again.

Well, when I tried to launch FSX, it wouldn't even launch due to the missing 2015 c++ files.

FSX doesn't require the 2015 version. The normal FSX required the 2005 SP1 version, and the Steam version requires the 2013 version.-

Charlie44

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 01:33:28 am »
Hello,
After installing all of the C++ files, and re-installing the GSX expansion pack, I think I've finally got all four scenery packages working-  the couatl file is now running and resident when running FSX.  Thanks for your help-- I hope it's been worth all the effort.

Thanks again,
Charlie