Author Topic: Getting jetways to align for different aircraft  (Read 1847 times)

jonathan_f

Getting jetways to align for different aircraft
« on: October 28, 2018, 11:29:23 am »
Hi Umberto,

Looking for some help/advice aligning jetways for different aircraft types. I am finding that I can align a jetway to the door for one particular type (say a 319) perfectly. Then if I change to a different type (say a B717) it then says that the jetway cannot resolve to a door. I have to amend the parking position to get it to align,  but if I change back to the 319 it doesn’t align anymore. Obviously I’m maybe doing something incorrectly or not understanding something, but how can I get the jetways to align for all aircraft types?

Thank you

Jonathan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Getting jetways to align for different aircraft
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 03:44:04 pm »
That's because you haven't customized the Stop Position. I suggest reading the GSX Manual, the chapter named "Understanding the Stop Position", at Page 39.

jonathan_f

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:02:36 am »
OK I read that chapter, but why does the jetway align when I select the Parking position (and I get the ping sound) but then when I select the jetway 1 object itself it then doesn't align to the door?

Should the centre of the Parking position align to the centre of the stop position? This never seems to be the correct alignment for the jetways.

Should I align the jetway using the parking position or stop position?

Also, is the stop position different for each aircraft? If so, how would I know that the stop position is going to work for the multitude of different types without testing each one?

Thanks
Jonathan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 03:18:46 pm »
The Parking position doesn't have anything to do with the jetway alignment.

Or, more precisely, it doesn't if you use a GSX parking assistance (Marshaller or Docking System) AND you have customized the Stop Position. If you haven't customized the Stop Position, the default strategy of placing the airplane center of mass in the center of the parking will be used instead.

Should I align the jetway using the parking position or stop position?

The Stop Position, of course. The whole chapter is named that way, because it's the only thing that matters.

Also, is the stop position different for each aircraft? If so, how would I know that the stop position is going to work for the multitude of different types without testing each one?

As explained in the chapter I asked to read, the final goal is having the airplane PREFERRED EXIT to always end in the same position.

When you edit the Stop Position with an airplane, GSX will save it in the .INI file by taking into account the difference between the Preferred Exit and the Front Gear of the airplane you are using to customize the parking. This difference will be *subtracted* to the Lat/Lon coordinates that will written on the .INI file.

When you'll use the parking with a different airplane, the Stop Position in the .INI file will be calculated by taking into account the difference between the Preferred Exit and the Front Gear of the airplane you are using now. This difference will be *added* to the Lat/Lon coordinates found in the .INI file.

The result will be:

- The Front gear of the new airplane likely be in a different position on ground compared to the front gear of the airplane which was used to customize the parking, just like in real life.

- The Preferred Exit of the new airplane in the SAME position of the Preferred Exit of the airplane which was used to customize the parking.

So, we achieved the goal of having different airplane models having their Preferred Exit ending all in the same place. Which is precisely what you need to be reasonably sure that a jetway that worked while making the parking with an airplane, will also work with any airplane, with the exceptions of too short jetways that might not be able to reach a door because of its height, but these are less common and easier to solve (select a longer jetway).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:20:57 pm by virtuali »