Author Topic: Flickering Lines  (Read 4084 times)

Mallio

Flickering Lines
« on: October 15, 2018, 10:44:24 pm »
Hi, since installing GSX Level 2, the red "hatch lines" underneath the jetways are flickering when aircraft is parked on stand.
How can I solve this please?
Thanks in advance,
Mallio

Monty1

Re: Flickering Lines
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 07:58:08 am »
Same here.
Windows 7 Home 64bit
Crucial 525GB MX300 2.5-inch SSD
2TB Master Hard Drive
Intel Core i7 4+4 Core 2600K 3.4Ghz 8MB L3 CACHE - ThermalTake Contac29 Cooler
AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E 3.0 Ready Graphics - FSX - GSX - FS Cabin Crew - ASN SP5

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 08:43:19 am »
Do you use FSX ?

On FSX the default scenery flickers by itself without installing GSX, not necessarily the jetway ground markings, but other elements always flickered, because of the more limited precision the z-buffer has in FSX. Which is worse, if you use custom camera utilities, that plays with the z-buffer precision themselves.

Of course, you can choose not to use the ground markings on customized jetways.

Mallio

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 01:09:10 pm »
Hi Umberto,
Yes I do use FSX and I did not have this problem before I upgraded to GSX level 2.
Regards,
Mallio

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 01:35:29 pm »
Yes I do use FSX and I did not have this problem before I upgraded to GSX level 2.

Well, of course you haven't, because the old jetway model was different.

As I've said, the default scenery flickers in a lot of places (just not on ground markings), but elsewhere and, since the jetway replacement model appears on default sceneries, I wonder why you ntice only the GSX L2 markings, and not the rest of the default scenery, which flickers too. Because it is an FSX problem that has always been there.

As I've said, you can of course decide not to use ground markings, if you customize the jetway.

Of course, in P3D4 there's not flickering whatsoever, because we tuned the objects for P3D4, and it wouldn't be right to penalized P3D4 users, if we raised the ground markings just for FSX, causing an annoying visual effect of raised textures on P3D4 so, when we have to choose, we give preference to the solution that looks best on P3D4.

Mallio

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 03:34:02 pm »
That is not a very satisfactory answer to the problem Umberto. I have used GSX for many years in FSX without a problem and have not experienced any textures flickering at all.
Does this mean that you are abandoning all your loyal FSX customers now?
Mallio

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 10:00:24 am »
I have used GSX for many years in FSX without a problem and have not experienced any textures flickering at all.

GSX only had vehicles before, they cannot possibly cause flickers on ground. The jetway marking IS something which can be affected by the more limited zbuffer precision in FSX, which is why lots of elements in the default scenery flickers too.

As I've said, you can choose not to use the ground markings.

Does this mean that you are abandoning all your loyal FSX customers now?

We already announced this last year, and we were in very good company:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16116.0.html

And in the past year, a LOT more of other developers said basically the same thing. So, nothing new here, really.

Monty1

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 12:12:20 pm »
Not much point FSX users buying your products then.
Windows 7 Home 64bit
Crucial 525GB MX300 2.5-inch SSD
2TB Master Hard Drive
Intel Core i7 4+4 Core 2600K 3.4Ghz 8MB L3 CACHE - ThermalTake Contac29 Cooler
AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E 3.0 Ready Graphics - FSX - GSX - FS Cabin Crew - ASN SP5

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 02:51:53 pm »
Not much point FSX users buying your products then.

That's why I said we were in good company ( see the other names in the announcement ) and why I said "in the past year, a LOT more of other developers said basically the same thing", which is clearly.

The issue is not FSX users would stop buying "our" products. Is FSX users won't have much left to buy in the following years.

And again, if you are so worried about that flickeing (as if the whole default scenery didn't flicker too), you can simply disable the ground markings. We already disabled the jetway number in FSX, because there's no way they could possibly work in FSX

But we haven't disabled the ground markings, because they work and since the FSX default scenery flickers already quite a bit, we assumed nobody would mind and, if they did, they would just turn them off.

Eisbahn

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 02:58:07 pm »
News from Captain Sim:
Captain Sim Says Goodbye To FSX
Another developer announces the end of support for FSX. In their forums, Captain Sim has posted that the upcoming 757 Captain III Freighter and -30 expansions will be the last FSX products, and in fact the last for 32 bit sims (i.e. Prepar3D v1, v2, v3). Future development will be devoted to 64 bit sims.

October 15, 2018, 12:31 pm

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 10:28:48 am »
We are almost 100% decided to stop supporting FSX even for GSX.

The next big update to the core product, which will feature a very nice Pushback editor and a much improved procedure, simply cannot be made with FSX, which lacks the capabilities we require to do a proper editor, and has a serious limit on the human animations fidelity which is simply not possible to overcome.

So, the current GSX version is the latest for FSX. Then, we'll only do bugfixing for FSX, but not new major features.

Mallio

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 11:45:24 am »
Hi Umberto,
I can understand that you have to go the 64 bit way now and that FSX is slowly dying, but the point I was trying to make is that it should be more apparent on the purchase page that there may be problems with FSX installations. I might have decided not to purchase at that time.
One good thing that has come out of this is that I am now seriously considering making the jump to P3D, here's to months of trying to get all my add-ons to work.
Cheers,
Mallio

flyingfish

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 01:36:15 pm »
Hi Malio,

Rest assured the changeover to P3D  is not nearly as difficult as you make out and the overall quality and improvement far outweigh the hassle of reinstalling your add-ons.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 09:29:12 am »
the point I was trying to make is that it should be more apparent on the purchase page that there may be problems with FSX installations. I might have decided not to purchase at that time.

Some flickering on ONE of the 80+ different jetway models is hardly something worth mentioning. Especially considering there's a Trial.

And, you can choose not to use the ground markings, they are on by default only on ONE model, the default replacement.

Most 3rd party sceneries you are likely going to use GSX with, already come with their own custom ground markings anyway so, the issue would be mainly with default sceneries, that already have flicker problems on their own, without even using addons.