Author Topic: Solved  (Read 6420 times)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Solved
« on: June 19, 2009, 08:58:15 am »
Umberto, is there a way you could provide a fix for the ends of the runway 9L and 27R. They look like launch ramps at the end of the runway  ;D

The first pic show runway 9R which is flat, but the other 2 are 9L and 27R.

Thanks,

Sean
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:53:55 pm by cmpbllsjc »

dobrado

Re: Need a fix for the launch ramps please
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 03:38:49 pm »
That's an interesting blast pad (I think that's the name for it). It looks like that in real life:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199992@N02/3640587275/

Mr. Schutte

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 05:15:55 pm »
The ends of Runway 9L/27R at FLL are very near the property line, and its displaced threshold is also very close to that same property line. To meet current design standards, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires a 1,000-foot-long (305 m) safety area at the end of a runway. However, these standard safety areas have typically been extremely difficult to obtain. In response to the widespread lack of standard safety areas at airports, the FAA, with industry support, undertook a research program to test the suitability of various aircraft arresting systems for commercial aircraft. The result of the investigations was Advisory Circular 150/5220-22 Engineered Materials Arresting System (EMAS) for Aircraft Overruns. This material, and its application at FLL, is the subject of this thread. The answer is EMAS, as already stated, it is present at the real world FLL, as well as many airports through-out the world.

Runway 9R/27L doesn't have them as it isn't used by commercial aircraft, runway 9L/27R is heavily traffic by commercial aircraft.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 05:46:57 pm »
Thanks guys. I did not know that  :-[  Thanks for the info and for FSDT for making it look so real.

BTW, I was just being facetious calling it a launch ramp. Hope no one reading this thinks that I really though it was a launch ramp  ;D

Prior to this I wasn't aware of the EMAS.

Regards

RVG458

Re: Solved
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:29:06 am »
I think the first credited EMAS "save" was at JFK a few years back when an American Eagle SF340 used the 200ft ILS decision height as an MDA when he didnt see the approach lights at minimums. Landed about 3/4ths of the way down the runway and ended up in the crushable concrete. The runway is 8400 ft long. Thats a bad day.