Author Topic: scenery load times  (Read 2762 times)

Michael1

scenery load times
« on: October 11, 2018, 05:00:15 pm »
Hi; I read on another thread that FSDT scenery should take 10 seconds max. to load. I am using FSDT Vancouver for FSXse on windows 10. Bothe befor and after I installed GSX, it takes about 1.5 minutes to load the scenery. It loads in stages,: 1st the vehicles, then the marshall stands, then the taxiways and grass, then triangular shapes that eventually become the main buildings and finally the jetways and textures. I assumed because of the amount of data that it was because of only having 8 gigs of ram. 1.5 minutes doesn't bother me, but the fact that it should take far less time is curious. I have reinstalled the scenery twice, with and without GSX. The scenery is awesome BTW.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: scenery load times
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 05:07:17 pm »
I assumed because of the amount of data that it was because of only having 8 gigs of ram. 1.5 minutes doesn't bother me, but the fact that it should take far less time is curious.

Yes, that's likely. 8GB is not much and, even worse, FSX cannot even see more than 4GB at most, because it's a 32 bit app. You don't say which options you chose when installing Vancouver. On FSX, it's best not to use 4K textures and lower the shadows resolution.

I timed it just now and, from the moment I select CYVR (starting from another airport), it takes the following time:

- 25 seconds for the Loading scenery progress bar

- 10 seconds to load the whole CYVR airport

This is on P3D4, with 32GB of RAM, which the sim (as a 64 bit app), will greatly benefit from.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:31:25 pm by virtuali »

Michael1

Re: scenery load times
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 05:25:32 pm »
Yes lol, I had managed expectations with 8gig ram and only 2gig vram and I chose the lower resolution textures and shadows and evergreen seasons, which some years isnt too far from the truth here .