Author Topic: Runtime error when updating using FSDT Live Updater **SOLVED**  (Read 6754 times)

edwardpat

Runtime error when updating using FSDT Live Updater **SOLVED**
« on: October 11, 2018, 03:59:09 am »
Hi:
I'm getting succesive update messages inside P3Dv4.3 during the last three days. Today the message appeared again (to my surprise, again) and proceeded to shut-down the sim and run the FSDT Live Updater again. All went well until a message about a Runtime error appeared, stopping the update process when (apparently) the GSX scripts were in the process of being updated.
Should anyone at FSDT could take a look into this?.
Thanks, Ed
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:59:26 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I cannot reproduce this, the scripts are being updated correctly, and I tried purposely removed the scripts folder and it was correctly downloaded again.

Could you please try again ? Maybe you started the Live Update exactly while we were uploading something, and this might cause such errors.

edwardpat

Tried again but unfortunately, I'm getting the same error. Please see picture attached, that I think explains for itself.
Cheers, Ed

ericpak

I got the same message 2 days ago after a fresh GSX L2 reinstallation. As Umberto explained, I set my antivirus in order to exclude the Addon Manager folder and now LiveUpdate runs correctly.
Best regards

edwardpat

I got the same message 2 days ago after a fresh GSX L2 reinstallation. As Umberto explained, I set my antivirus in order to exclude the Addon Manager folder and now LiveUpdate runs correctly.
Best regards

Here I have the Addon Manager folder excluded from AV scanning since the beginning of the times. For me it should be something different that's not working well with the updates.
Thanks for helping anyway.
Cheers, Ed

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Tried again but unfortunately, I'm getting the same error. Please see picture attached, that I think explains for itself.

I can only confirm it doesn't happen here. Check this:

- Right-click on the Couatl_updater2.exe file in the Addon Manager folder.

- Select Properties->Digital Signatures->Details and report the time/date of the digital signature.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:31:36 pm by virtuali »

dutchkip

- Select Properties->Digital Signatures->Details and report the time/date of the digital signature.

I've got the same. see attached picture
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:31:50 pm by virtuali »

edwardpat

Hi, Here you are.
The text is in spanish, but the date/time is September 28th, 2018 / 11:50:36 am (Eastern Time, USA).
Thanks, Ed

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:31:57 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
The text is in spanish, but the date/time is September 28th, 2018 / 11:50:36 am (Eastern Time, USA).

Please check the Couatl_updater2.exe instead.

edwardpat

Please check the Couatl_updater2.exe instead.

Sorry I don't have that file, only the one named Couatl_Updater.exe in the Addon Manager folder.
Ed

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Sorry I don't have that file, only the one named Couatl_Updater.exe in the Addon Manager folder.

Sorry, but that's not possible, you posted a screenshot with it displaying an error updating "GSX Scripts" and the only program that ever contains that message and does that step IS Couatl_updater2.exe

So, you surely must have it, at least when you saw that error, and it was likely an outdated version which was going to be downloaded by the first step of the update (the Couatl_updater.exe *DOWNLOADS* the current Couatl_updater2.exe, which does the real job )

If you are *really* sure Couatl_updater2.exe is not there anymore, then I'm sorry, but only an antivirus could do that: it might have removed it by mistake, and it keeps doing it because, if you start the Live Udpate, if Couatl_updater2.exe is missing, it should be downloaded again so, basically, unless the antivirus keeps removing it, or it's preventing the download, it's not possible for that file to be missing.

edwardpat

Sorry, but that's not possible, you posted a screenshot with it displaying an error updating "GSX Scripts" and the only program that ever contains that message and does that step IS Couatl_updater2.exe

So, you surely must have it, at least when you saw that error, and it was likely an outdated version which was going to be downloaded by the first step of the update (the Couatl_updater.exe *DOWNLOADS* the current Couatl_updater2.exe, which does the real job )

If you are *really* sure Couatl_updater2.exe is not there anymore, then I'm sorry, but only an antivirus could do that: it might have removed it by mistake, and it keeps doing it because, if you start the Live Udpate, if Couatl_updater2.exe is missing, it should be downloaded again so, basically, unless the antivirus keeps removing it, or it's preventing the download, it's not possible for that file to be missing.

So, in short, what can I do to redownload that Couatl_Updater2.exe file?. I probably deleted it manually by mistake, but I doubled-checked the AV is excluding the Addon Manager folder. Apart of that, during the re-runs of the Updater I turned the AV off.
Do I need to run the complete GSX installer again?.
Please let me know.
Thanks, Ed
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:17:11 pm by edwardpat »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
So, in short, what can I do to redownload that Couatl_Updater2.exe file?.

As I've said, Couatl_updater.exe WILL download it, if it's missing. That's the whole point of Couatl_updater.exe: to download the Couatl_updater2.exe (which is what DOES the "real" update) so, with this method, the update can "update itself".

If it doesn't, you can just stop there and check again every possible firewall/antivirus program that can block the download, because it's really the only possible reason for not having Couatl_updater2.exe after running Couatl_updater.exe

Well, you can also try this:

- Remove this folder:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\UpdateCache

And try again.

edwardpat

Hi:
Same error. The issue still persists, see picture below, it hasn't changed anything.
What I did:
1. Turned OFF completely my AV/Firewall (Kaspersky).
2. Deleted the folder %AppData%\Roaming\Virtuali\UpdateCache, as you indicated.
3. Disabled Windows Defender completely (I'm running Win7), even if it's the first time I do that. Days ago everything from FSDT was working fine while I had it enabled, but I just wanted to make sure it was not blocking anything.
4. Run FSDT Live Update (Couatl_Updater.exe) again.
Result: Runtime error (see picture below). It seems the file Couatl_Updater2.exe is not being downloaded here.
If this issue is starting to annoy you, you're not alone, I'm annoyed too!.
I'm open to try any other suggestions you may have.
Thanks, Ed

PD: Even if the error message is not exactly the same, it seems that I'm not the only one: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,19300.0.html

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:26:50 am by edwardpat »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Result: Runtime error (see picture below). It seems the file Couatl_Updater2.exe is not being downloaded here.

As I've said, the only possible reason for this is something blocking the download. Or something removing it after the download.

It's possible to log the update process, this way:

- Go to the folder the Live Update is installed, by default C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager and type the following on the file Explorer address bar.

CMD  and then press Enter

- A command prompt should open on that path. Type the following:

Couatl_Updater.exe /LOG=logfile.txt

Run the installer and wait for the error to appear. A log.txt file should have been created in the same folder. ZIP it and attach it to a post, so I can check what's going on with your system.