Author Topic: Horrible stutters on approach into KSDF starting at 1500ft agl  (Read 6276 times)

bhorv67

Horrible stutters on approach into KSDF starting at 1500ft agl
« on: September 29, 2018, 03:41:56 pm »
What can be done to fix these stutters? I don't get this at any other airport, payware or not. Doesn't matter which runway I'm approaching.

When I'm about 1000' AGL, the sim will freeze for about a second, then unfreeze, and will repeat until after I'm on the ground. The airport is unusable in this state.
My P3d settings are all in the middle.

Appreciate any help. Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Horrible stutters on approach into KSDF starting at 1500ft agl
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 01:26:16 pm »
You description of the problem seems normal you used FSX, which is why we added several options in the YouControl menu for KSDF to turn off some of the most demanding items in the scenery (that in FSX are disabled by default), that can be applied on the fly, without using an external configuration utility that other developers use to do the same thing.

I tried an approach just now, using the most demanding runway, the one with the city in the background and, as you can see, the approach is perfectly smooth here:

However, if your simulator is already over-stressed by other addons, like surrounding scenery, autogen, AI airplanes, an airplane heavy on fps, it's possible those options we found not not cause any issues with P3D4 (so we have them enabled by default, opposite to FSX, when we disable them by default ), might still required to be disabled.

As you can see at the end of my video, I had both "Ground Traffic" and "3D Cars on Parking lots" enabled, but you might have to disable them in your setup.

bhorv67

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 03:41:02 pm »
Thanks - I should have mentioned, I'm using P3d 4.3 not FSX.

I've tested this in a default plane, with no weather, AG is set medium. I'll post a video.
Where is that menu to disable/enable options in KSDF?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 03:43:54 pm »
Thanks - I should have mentioned, I'm using P3d 4.3 not FSX.

It was clear to me you used P3D, that's why I said:

"it's possible those options we found not to cause any issues with P3D4 (so we have them enabled by default, opposite to FSX, when we disable them by default ), might still required to be disabled"

Where is that menu to disable/enable options in KSDF?

The YouControl menu ( default to CTRL+F12 ), as seen at the end of my video.

bhorv67

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 10:55:40 pm »
Thanks - The stutters seem to be coming from the ground traffic. I turned it off, leaving the cars on and it's better.

There is still a significant fps drop on the ground. I typically get 30 at complex airports, here I'm getting 17-20 with graphics settings in the middle.
This airport and KCLT also seem to share the same ground texture issue at night, where you get these strange aliased lines in the ground tiles whenever the AC lights are on at night. Higher AA settings don't seem to help that.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 11:12:04 pm »
There is still a significant fps drop on the ground. I typically get 30 at complex airports, here I'm getting 17-20 with graphics settings in the middle.

I can't see any difference in fps between KSDF and another complex airport. Here's a switch from FlyTampa EHAM to FSDT KSDF without changing any settings:

I tested with both ground traffic and 3d cars enabled.

This airport and KCLT also seem to share the same ground texture issue at night, where you get these strange aliased lines in the ground tiles whenever the AC lights are on at night. Higher AA settings don't seem to help that.

What you call an issue, is instead a feature of both airports that have proper normal maps on ground, which pops out realistically under dynamic lights, instead of being flat as all the other airports not using them.

We tuned the textures with default airplane landing lights but, with some 3rd party airplanes, the landing lights are very strong, so the effect might seem too much. Also, if you have 3rd party shader modifications (PTA, Tomato Shader, etc.), it's possible what you see is not how the scenery is supposed to look like.

I attached a screenshot how the scenery is supposed to look like with landing lights of a default airplane, with no other tweaks to the shaders.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 11:14:03 pm by virtuali »

senchay

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 05:58:28 pm »
There is infact a very big difference.

I never bothered to write this because i know the outcome before already. "Its your setup, its your fault, its not the airport," and the end will be you send out a video where you fly in a standard plane without any addons to a scenery of yours. So i saw someone else did it... so i may as well add my things. It even went exactly how i expected, with watching at a vid where a (what is that plane even....) flies without any addons to his scenery.

This has nothing to do with how ppl fly and you know that. How long you want to continue this? I think its about time to develop addons in the mindest of one not being the only important thing out there. Dont you?

KSDF is the only ( i mean the only) airport where i can not use GSX. I have over 150 airports installed, ranging from the highest demanding ones like Flytampa CYYZ, KBOS, Kai-Tak, Flightbeam sceneries, Aerosoft sceneries, all with dynamic lighting implemented and everywhere, on each of them my GPU is loaded at top most 50% in nighttime, when GSX comes maybe 70%. I simply never max my GPU in the whole simworld. Any my simworld is very big.

Now there we have KSDF.... where it blows by 1070 completely out of the PC. Probably it would show 200% load if possible. FPS start to go down to the 15 to 25 where they usually are over 40 in the VC in a PMDG 748 or "insert others" right on the apron, middles in nighttime. It can be overcast situation in the middle of Germany South from ORBX and it still wont reach 100% load.

If you really want to tell us that its our fault if something works in every addon out there, in a given setup besides one single one then its beyond funny, sorry.

And no, this is not a problem that a single person has. Maybe watch a few streams here and there and you will see that everyone, near to, who has the current addons ppl use has this problem. I went into at least 3 myself and told them to "reset position" in GSX and everytime it fixed their low fps. And all of em told me its only here. Now i dont want to talk for others, thats why i gave my example.

There is nothing on side of ppl that they can do. I give you an example:

My sim is far from overloaded because i know about this problem and write guides for others about this. I rarly see my GPU/CPU maxed simply because i know this very fact of how bad it is to overload.

I only use 2k textures, in Sim, in clouds and everywhere i try to minimize my settings while keeping highest visuals. This works everywhere and please dont try to tell us how compley the scenery is over others. One should not forget that there are ppl out there who know about development too.

The best example is new Aerosoft EDDK. Maybe have a look at how well things can work if they are done right (performance wise). And that scenery tops every FSDT one by far, in all regards. Textures, object-amount, object-detail, lighting mechanics, groundwork and every aspect while keeping high fps all times. Its possible.

I really wish the day would come where you stop blaming ppl the way you do it for things that are on your side.

VHHHflyer

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 02:16:19 am by VHHHflyer »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 08:28:59 pm »
KSDF is the only ( i mean the only) airport where i can not use GSX.  I have over 150 airports installed, ranging from the highest demanding ones like Flytampa CYYZ, KBOS, Kai-Tak, Flightbeam sceneries, Aerosoft sceneries, all with dynamic lighting implemented and everywhere, on each of them my GPU is loaded at top most 50% in nighttime, when GSX comes maybe 70%.

Works just fine here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/images/kclt_gpu_3.jpg

GSX boarding, with passengers (not visible because the jetway is solid, but they are there), GPU utilization slightly lower than 50%. I hope the Leonardo Maddog X is detailed enough for you. I obviously chose a very good addon that is likely to be used at KCLT.

The SAME airplane, with the SAME settings, just moved to Aerosoft EDDF:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/images/eddf_gpu1.jpg

Slightly HIGHER GPU utilization, and with NO passengers, since in its default configuration the jetway is not SODE, GSX will only simulate passengers.

The best example is new Aerosoft EDDK.

In fact, the below post taken from Aerosoft point, is proving my point better than I could possibly do. That a GOOD scenery (you said yourself is good), which works fine for most users, might not work well for some users. SAME AS KCLT...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:30:58 pm by virtuali »

ahuimanu

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 06:06:37 pm »
Hi,

I won't vent as much frustration as senchay, but he isn't crazy either.  I deeply appreciate KMEM and KSDF as they provide key cargo hubs that open up a wonder selection of long-haul flights.  Great care has gone into both airports and I want to acknowledge that.  However, performance is an issue and I wonder if FSDT would consider providing more end-user configuration options so that we can tone things down.  As to the shaders used to ensure clarity, I wonder if you might consider abandoning techniques for FSX (as I think you are doing with KORD) for these older airports?  I realize that sounds rude, but something about your tooling and techniques causes acute performance problems that seem to persist.

I also agree that many will have a combination of mesh, vector, textures, weather, and complex aircraft, which makes this a challlenge.  But I also wonder about whether all options are necessary either?

To be specific, however, could the mirror system be a part of it? Is there something about those mirror animations that "kick in" as I approach the airport?  Could I perhaps do without it?  I'm just thinking out loud about the innovations and who end-user configuration might be possible to achieve results?

I appreciate having KSDF available to me and I look forward to KORD.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 12:33:35 am »
I wonder if you might consider abandoning techniques for FSX (as I think you are doing with KORD) for these older airports?  I realize that sounds rude, but something about your tooling and techniques causes acute performance problems that seem to persist.

You are assuming we are using "techniques for FSX", but that's just not the case. On P3D, both KMEM and KSDF use native P3D files, you just don't notice it, because they are chosen automatically by the software depending which simulator is being used so, they are more native then our other sceneries. Not 100% native like the new KORD will be, but they are P3D-native when it matters.

They don't obviously have any performance problems, as I already proven in my previous post. But of course, if the simulator performances are already compromised by adding too much other stuff, you cannot expect a detailed scenery would always run as it should.

Again, read the link on Aerosoft forum: the OP said we had to look at it as an "example" how a scenery should perform, but on Aerosoft forum other users complain about performances. So, clearly, since the scenery is always the same, the different is the OP had a good situation of OTHER installed addons in the EDDK area, and a bad on on KSDF, so it was mislead assuming KSDF has a performance problem, but the user on Aerosoft forum complaining about EDDK, must have had a bad situation of OTHER installed addons in the EDDK area, so HE was mislead assuming EDDK had a problem.

many will have a combination of mesh, vector, textures, weather, and complex aircraft, which makes this a challenge

Precisely my point above.

To be specific, however, could the mirror system be a part of it? Is there something about those mirror animations that "kick in" as I approach the airport?  Could I perhaps do without it?  I'm just thinking out loud about the innovations and who end-user configuration might be possible to achieve results?

They obviously don't. Any docking system in OUR airports (thanks to the Couatl engine and GSX), is totally static, and it's replaced by a dynamic version of itself only AFTER you select its gate in GSX so, there's only one animated version visible at any given time, and surely not when you approach the airport.

The only options that could cause some fps impact are the ones we have the option to be disabled in the YouControl menu: the "Ground Traffic" and "3D Cars on Parking lots", and that's it.