Author Topic: Hover control  (Read 6644 times)

burner12

Hover control
« on: June 15, 2009, 09:20:52 pm »
Is there a button for hover control or to set the chopper in a hover? I'm always moving around just trying to pick up a crate, it gets frusturating

newmanix

• Beta tester
Re: Hover control
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:02:44 pm »
You just need to learn how to fly it. There is no button.

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:42:01 pm »
Ah, that's not...strictly...true, Mr President.  ;)

Ok, it's not part of any of the original choppers, and I know it's not something for the purist, but there is a freeware hover gauge that you can download and add in to your Panel config.

If you go to the Hover Control website and search their downloads for the HC075DI Hover Gauge. It was designed for FS9 but I think I've seen it used in FSX models too (I'm pretty sure the UKMil Chinook for FSX uses it).

If you're not familiar with doing something like this, let me know and I'll get a hold of the gauge myself and see if I can draught up a step-by-step set of instructions for you.

Regards,
Voodoo

FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 08:11:00 am »

Again, I reiterate: You just need to learn how to fly it. There is no button.

The gauge is not necessary. You need to learn to manage your airspeed and pitch. Combining both, you can bring the aircraft into a hover. Some are easy, some are hard, and some have too poorly written code like the default Bell Jet Ranger.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:15:43 am by newmanix »

ESzczesniak

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 02:47:15 pm »

I would agree that if you want to get involved with helicopters, you need to learn to fly and hover on your own.  However, a number of the more advanced real world helicopters, particularly Coast Guard and Navy helicopters, do have autohover functions on their autopilot.  You usually have to be under 10 kts total speed before you can engage them.  Point is though that such a function does exist in real life and if your fly near zero visibility or without any ground reference (i.e. over flat featureless ocean), these can be almost necessary.  Of course, in straight VFR with land reference you really should be able to do this on your own.