Author Topic: New Installation of GSX  (Read 3083 times)

Juergen2

New Installation of GSX
« on: September 21, 2018, 07:17:20 pm »
Hi,
I recently had to re-install FSX-SE.
So now I wanted to install GSX and performed the following steps:
a) Virus program OFF
b) Download the gsx_fsx_setup.exe from the FSDT website (includes Level 2 expansion)
c) Run gsx_fsx_setup.exe in Administrator Mode
Setup - FSDT GSX goes thru the following steps:
Welcome; Select Destination (default); Select Additional Tasks (FSX-SE Stand Alone); Extracting...........;

Screenshot:https://www.flickr.com/photos/141330124@N05/shares/X04591

The setup has stalled @ C:\...\Addon Manager\Simobjects\Misc\FSDT_Baggage Tractor\sounds\soundai.cfg
It will NOT continue from here and I can't Cancel or close the installer (I need to shut the PC OFF)
Any ideas????
Thanks for help

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: New Installation of GSX
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 07:24:36 pm »
Restart Windows, disable the antivirus and try again.

Juergen2

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 07:32:02 pm »
Umberto,
As under a) Virus program OFF - I am using Windows Defender and "Virus & Threat Protection" is OFF.
Now after I rebooted the PC, the installtion mask is still there, stuck at the soundai.cfg. I can't close it.
Thanks for help

Juergen2

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 09:08:07 pm »
Umberto,
I started FSX-SE and received this warning:
Couatl Script Engine The following error occured while parsing the configuration file:
C:\users\Juergen\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali\CouatlAddOns.ini; The options configuration file contains an invalid line; Part of the file after the error will be ignored!
Screenshot: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141330124@N05/shares/H3xY8Z
So I deleted the Viruali and GSX directory in \...\AppData\Roaming (I believe it was from the previous installation) and tried a fresh install. NoGo - the loading stops at the same file "soundai.cfg"
Thanks for help

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 10:51:40 pm »
The corrupted .INI file was probably due to having edited it by hand, mabye a long time ago, to create a log file for troubleshooting.

About the installer stopping at soundai.cfg, nobody else reported this, and it simply cannot happen: it's just a simple text file. I could imagine the antivirus interfering with installing an executable, but surely not that file.

Are you sure you have enough disk space BOTH on the destination folder AND on the Windows folder ? The installer will first uncompress itself in the Windows %TEMP% folder so, even if you have plenty of space on the final installation folder, the installer might have issues if you are low on space on the Windows temporary folder.

You might try running the windows wizard utility that helps freeing unused space, it might be enough to fix the problem.

Juergen2

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 11:28:44 pm »
Umberto,
I know it's not the installer, since I just completed the installation in my P3Dv4 drive and there are NO problems.
I also know there is plenty of space on my harddrive (500GB), with only WIN10, FSX-SE and some addons. Also I had more installed previous to my re-install of FSX-SE.
Are you familiar with Windows Defender? The only thing I can do is turn OFF Real Time Protection during the install. What is the windows wizard utility?
Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 11:36:47 pm »
Are you familiar with Windows Defender? The only thing I can do is turn OFF Real Time Protection during the install

That's what I use, and it doesn't require anything during the installation. It doesn't mistakenly block our software, but I always exclude both the simulator and the Addon Manager folder from scanning, for performance reasons.

What is the windows wizard utility?

https://www.partitionwizard.com/resizepartition/free-up-disk-space.html#fix-3

But if you have 500GB free, it's should be necessary.

Have you changed the windows Swap file settings maybe ? Some people suggest to do that, to reduce disk usage and wear but, if you are low on ram, a program that might have use the hard drive as additional memory, would crash instead.

The installer might require quite a bit of RAM, to uncompress all files, which are many, but this shouldn't be a problem on a system with default virtual memory settings.

Juergen2

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 01:19:42 am »
Umberto,
It's a 500GB SSD with 464GB available and 373GB free. It's not the available space. I have 16GB of DDR ram, so I don't think it's a memory problem.
I have NOT changed any windows swap files. I might have to take the machine to a local PC repair shop and have him do a deep scan.
Thanks