Author Topic: Massive blurries after updating GSX **SOLVED**  (Read 137910 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Massive blurries after updating GSX **SOLVED**
« Reply #495 on: September 25, 2018, 11:45:05 am »
I did run the latest Live Update but the problems still Comes up.

Haven't you read the post just before yours ? The direct download was on this same thread, in the previous page, and will surely fix the problem when you have some kind of external software (antivirus or firewall), which is blocking the Live Update.

swissdani

« Reply #496 on: September 25, 2018, 12:38:23 pm »
Hello again

I will try to manual download again tonight, once back from work. Is there any way to check before if the Live Update was successful? I assumed it was fine, since it fixed the Geneva problem before without any problem. There was also not an error message during the install. My AVG anti-Virus usually opens a windows and states that something has been blocked and my fsdreamteams folder is anyway excluded from the anti-virus.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #497 on: September 25, 2018, 12:48:32 pm »
Is there any way to check before if the Live Update was successful? I assumed it was fine, since it fixed the Geneva problem before without any problem.

The Geneva update didn't require a new executable, the blurries fix did so, it's possible your antivirus has blocked the updated .DLL, but let pass the updated scenery files.

My AVG anti-Virus usually opens a windows and states that something has been blocked and my fsdreamteams folder is anyway excluded from the anti-virus

I learned to never trust antivirus in nothing they do. I personally witnessed on an user's system the antivirus still blocking the executable *SILENTLY*, without any warnings AND with the Addon Manager disabled and even with the antivirus *itself* disabled but, apparently, "disabled" from the antivirus user interface doesn't really mean "disabled", because the antivirus was still running its low-level Windows service and was still mistakenly blocking things without even telling.

You might also try to remove this folder:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Updatecache

Because, we check for every file to be successfully downloaded and to be the same version as the online one but, if the firewall/antivirus is blocking the list of files on the server, it won't work. Removing that folder should fix this problem.

swissdani

« Reply #498 on: September 25, 2018, 09:59:08 pm »
Hello Umberto

I replaced the dll in the FSDreamteam/Addon Manager folder and redone parts of my yesterdays flight, the very bad blurry is gone, but I can still see some textures further away are blurred but start to load once I get closer. However CPU load is still a lot higher than normal. I am averiging 85% on all cores. This is way above what I usually expierence. So there still something giving a high load on the CPU. And this was in dayload without any weather. I am afraid that it the average load will be even worse in weather.

So for me the problem is not 100% solved. What do you suggest? Should I go ahead and remove the Appdata/UpdateCache folder as well? Can i just delete it or should I run Live Update again after that?

Dani

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #499 on: September 27, 2018, 01:16:55 am »
However CPU load is still a lot higher than normal. I am averiging 85% on all cores.

I bet you use OrbX Vector. If yes, it's normal.  

The main reason why we couldn't initially replicate the blurries, is because with the default scenery, the CPU load is about 30% average, with the 1st core used at 100% and the rest very low. Thanks to a tester that lend his system fully stuffed with OrbX, we finally were able to replicate it, because there was no way for it to show up, if the system wasn't already under high stress.

Even with NO FSDT software installed, the average CPU utilization went from 30% to 80-85%, just after enabling OrbX. This is entirely normal: the vastly improved vector detail (roads, rivers, coastlines, lakes, etc.) DOES have a cost in performance, because the simulator must create way more *different* textures compared to the monotonous default scenery.

Vector data is not separated from textures, it's "baked in" by projecting all the vector polygons over the base landclass textures to create new combined textures on the fly. The more detailed the vector data is, the higher the cost on CPU. HOWEVER, this is one of the FEW things the simulator does in true multi-threading, that's why you see more core utilization and, as long you don't exceed 100% in total, it's a GOOD thing: it means the simulator is making good usage of all the cores. It's only if you go *over* 100%, that blurries might start and/or fps might go down.

So for me the problem is not 100% solved.

Yes, the part of the problem which was *caused* by our software IS fixed, and you confirmed it yourself. We cannot obviously fix EVERY other problem related to blurries (which were a problem very well known for *years*), or any other problem of high CPU utilization.

swissdani

« Reply #500 on: September 27, 2018, 08:12:22 am »
Hello Umberto

You are right, I am using a few ORBX products and as well Vector. I will do further tests and will disable Vector to see if that has really such an high impact on my system. A friend of mine runs his similar system with Vector at around 65% core load.

Thank you for your help so far.

Artox67

« Reply #501 on: October 01, 2018, 02:34:40 pm »
put this string in the Terrain Part of your P3D.cfg and the blurries with ORBX will gone.

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:50:36 am by virtuali »

swissdani

« Reply #502 on: October 21, 2018, 10:56:16 am »
Hi Artox

Back from holiday I tried your settings and changed from 10 down to 9. And this actually brings the blurry back for me. With 10 I seem to be fine, but not with 9.

JRBarrett

Massive blurries after updating GSX **SOLVED**
« Reply #503 on: October 22, 2018, 03:02:23 am »
Putting that line in the cfg will force the sim to use high-resolution terrain textures even if they are selected “off” in the main P3D graphics settings. IF the blurries are being caused by CPU overloading, it will only make the problem worse.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:50:54 am by virtuali »

swissdani

« Reply #504 on: October 23, 2018, 11:56:10 am »
HI JRBarrett

I had this line in anway, but with a setting of 10 and this seems to be fine for my sim without any blurries.
That's probably an ORBX setting I guess?

Artox67

« Reply #505 on: October 23, 2018, 12:31:39 pm »
The standard setting without TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 is TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8

using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 is just possible if you have a graphic card with at least 11GB otherwise your memory load e.g. at EDDT EDDF is aprox. 7GB and with this nearly full or overloaded.
Depending on the memory you have on the Graka.

swissdani

« Reply #506 on: October 23, 2018, 12:34:32 pm »
That is strange to me... i am fine with Setting 10, but when I put it to 9, then I get blurries again.
If I understand you correctly, 9 should cause less load then 10 right?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #507 on: October 23, 2018, 09:39:10 pm »
That is strange to me... i am fine with Setting 10, but when I put it to 9, then I get blurries again.

That's because going down from 10 to 9 ALSO lowers the texture resolution so, it's normal those textures will be less sharp than the ones at 10.

But that's a kind of "blurries" that doesn't have anything to do with this thread, which discussed a problem which was a bug in our software that could only be noticed when the system was already overloaded, but this has been long fixed.

swissdani

« Reply #508 on: October 24, 2018, 08:11:37 am »
Hallo Umberto

Not agreeing with you on this point. When I go down to 9 the "original blurry" as discussed here before comes back to me. It's not just a bit less sharp, it's really one big super blurred texture.

I agree with you however that with setting 10 and i am not having problems anymore :-) and that's the main point.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #509 on: October 24, 2018, 09:03:34 am »
Not agreeing with you on this point. When I go down to 9 the "original blurry" as discussed here before comes back to me. It's not just a bit less sharp, it's really one big super blurred texture.

Which is clearly not be caused by the (now SOLVED) GSX bug because, if it were (only possible with an outdated software), it should have been much worse at 10, with the system more loaded.

I agree with you however that with setting 10 and i am not having problems anymore :-) and that's the main point.

Which simply confirms you are seeing an entirely new phenomenon now, possibly a bug in the sim, but not what is being discussed here.