Author Topic: Could GSX Jetways Replace Static Jetways if ...  (Read 14863 times)

Terblanche

Could GSX Jetways Replace Static Jetways if ...
« on: September 07, 2018, 10:02:23 pm »

I was under the impression that GSXv2 could add jetways when the static jetways are NOT part of a building or other structure ...

Here is the scenario:
With LIPZ and LJLJ (both from RFSB) the jetways are a separate *.bgl file that you could delete/disable and then they are not visible anymore but GSXv2 only see the stand as a stairway-to-door and therefore no option to add a jetway.
Did I miss something somewhere somehow ...?

Will really be nice because there are a lot of 3rd party scenery with the possibility to replace static jetways with SODE jetways.

Terblanche Jordaan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Could GSX Jetways Replace Static Jetways if ...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 10:19:53 pm »
I was under the impression that GSXv2 could add jetways when the static jetways are NOT part of a building or other structure ...

Sure you can.

GSXv2 only see the stand as a stairway-to-door and therefore no option to add a jetway. Did I miss something somewhere somehow ...?

You should be able to set "Parking has a jetway" in the drop down box, so the jetway customization tab will appear.

Terblanche

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 10:25:44 pm »
I've tried for over 2 hours to add jetways at any of the two mentioned airports and no tab appears ... but I'll go back to P3D now and see if I've missed something the first round.
Terblanche Jordaan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 10:27:05 pm »
Are you sure these airports don't *also* have SODE jetways in addition to the static ones ? If yes, they cannot be edited.

Terblanche

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 11:32:49 pm »
Are you sure these airports don't *also* have SODE jetways in addition to the static ones ? If yes, they cannot be edited.

Nope, no SODE and I've just checked again ... I can select [This Stand has a Jetway] and apply but that's it. No other tab to open or edit or add a jetway. Very strange.
I've checked both airports. Same result.
Terblanche Jordaan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 11:35:50 pm »
See here, GSX can clearly add a jetway where no jetways was ever present:

In addition to that, another user just posted a configuration file for RFSB LIPZ scenery, in the Sharing area:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,18404.msg128003.html#new

Terblanche

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 01:06:42 am »
Okay, my "mistake" was that I didn't make sure it took my regkey and when I doubled checked, it was still in demo mode.
Now we're in business but the Q flips through different type of jetways and does not [Increase Object Height] and with Z nothing happens.
I'll page through the forum to see how to map these keys because without being able to adjust the height, it does not align properly.

One step at a time .... steep learning curve  ;D
Terblanche Jordaan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 01:33:08 am »
Now we're in business but the Q flips through different type of jetways and does not [Increase Object Height] and with Z nothing happens.

GSX manual, Page 42, there's a scheme for the keys used when editing a jetway. Q/Z change the logo.

without being able to adjust the height, it does not align properly.

The height is not adjustable. You can:

- Choose a different model. JBT models are lower than Thyssen.

- Choose the model you like, but use a "slanted" bridge to connect to the terminal. The bridges with the "S" in their name.

- Rotate the jetway, it's best if you keep it "open", so that it will have to rotate counter-clockwise to reach the airplane door.

- Change the airplane stop position.

Any combination of all the above...

Terblanche

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 11:04:34 am »

GSX manual, Page 42, there's a scheme for the keys used when editing a jetway. Q/Z change the logo.

Ahhhh ... it was late in Cape Town and I printed the FSX one on page 37
Will get going with it today. Thank you, once again, for your help.
Terblanche Jordaan

portanav

• Retired (BWIA-Caribbean Airlines)
    • My Boeing B738NG Sim Build.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 08:32:06 pm »
When adding a GSX jetway to an already existing static jetway, will GSX remove the existing jetway (LatinVFR scenery)?

Thanks,
regards, MICHAEL.

System: Win10/64, I7/6400, GTX 1080, P3Dv5.2, Prosim737 v2.31, Prosim Flt. Model B738

Terblanche

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 08:51:54 pm »
When adding a GSX jetway to an already existing static jetway, will GSX remove the existing jetway (LatinVFR scenery)?
Thanks,

Nope ... only if the dev has the jetways in a separate bgl file that you could rename or delete. It's a bummer at quite a few airports that we would love to see movable jetways  :(
Terblanche Jordaan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 08:58:17 pm »
Nope ... only if the dev has the jetways in a separate bgl file that you could rename or delete.

You don't have to delete anything. Just create an Exclude file for the parkings you need to remove jetways, as the GSX manual suggest to do. Removing a .BGL is not the correct way of doing this, because:

- That .BGL might eventually come back, if the scenery has some kind of update system

- That .BGL might contain other objects too, which you don't want to be replaced.

- Removing a library .BGL that contains the jetway model, and keeping the jetways in the scenery AFCAD, is considered an error, and it would be flagged as such by the simulator, if the appropriate diagnostic command ( MissingLibraryalert in the simulator .CFG file) is enabled. This because the simulator will *try* opening that file, not finding it, and this might possibly cause issues like stuttering, especially when many of these fails happens.

So, the way of creating Exclude files is the proper one, which doesn't require touching any of the original scenery files.

portanav

• Retired (BWIA-Caribbean Airlines)
    • My Boeing B738NG Sim Build.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 09:14:43 pm »
Nope ... only if the dev has the jetways in a separate bgl file that you could rename or delete. It's a bummer at quite a few airports that we would love to see movable jetways  :(

Thank you very much.
regards, MICHAEL.

System: Win10/64, I7/6400, GTX 1080, P3Dv5.2, Prosim737 v2.31, Prosim Flt. Model B738

Terblanche

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 09:34:49 pm »

You don't have to delete anything. Just create an Exclude file for the parkings you need to remove jetways, as the GSX manual suggest to do. Removing a .BGL is not the correct way of doing this, because:

So, the way of creating Exclude files is the proper one, which doesn't require touching any of the original scenery files.

As I understood his question, "will GSX remove and existing static jetway" and the answer per manual is not if the jetway is part of scenery (i.e. building etc) The LatinVFR scenery that I have, has animated jetways and therefore it's easy to remove with GSX as Umberto described but a lot of other scenery (LICC from RFSB for example) have static jetways that are visible in P3D but GSX does not pick up that they are there and therefore cannot 'exclude' them. You can create new jetways but can't get rid of the original (visible) jetways. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I've spend half of today trying to manipulate scenery to get rid of their static jetways that are not specified in any bgl file.
Terblanche Jordaan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 09:50:26 pm »
static jetways that are visible in P3D but GSX does not pick up that they are there and therefore cannot 'exclude' them. You can create new jetways but can't get rid of the original (visible) jetways.

Exactly. If a jetway is embedded in the terminal building, there's only one person that can exclude it, and it's the original scenery designer.

Well...technically, this is not *entirely* true. You might be able to fix such sceneries by opening their .BGLs with this tool:

https://www.scenerydesign.org/modelconverterx/

- Find the .BGL that contains the terminal with the embedded jetways

- Open it in ModelConverterX

- Open the icon named "Object Hierarchy"

- The Hierarchy editor will open. Be sure "Highlight selected" is enabled.

- Scroll through the object Hierarchy, and see what's being highlighted in red. Eventually, you'll find the jetway.

- Click the "Remove" button. The jetway will disappear.

- Repeat this for all those static jetways.

- Save back the .BGL file.

This MIGHT work but, please, do not ask for further support: you are really on your own with this, and it would be much better if you pressed the scenery developer to model jetways as separate objects, which will make life easier for everybody.