Author Topic: What is correct path for FSDT add-on's?  (Read 4064 times)

bankheadd

What is correct path for FSDT add-on's?
« on: August 18, 2018, 01:07:40 am »
Ok I'm troubleshooting my KLAS floating airport which popup again for some reason, I initially solved this back in May when I first installed KLAS.  I'm following this link https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/107872-sca-compatibility-with-fsdreamteam-klas/, and where I have to edit these two files (mesh_terrain.bgl.OFF,/ CVX_KLAS.BGL.OFF ) in this directory ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\FSdreamteam\KLAX_V2), shouldn't the FSDT ADD-ON Manager been installed in to my P3D4.2 directory instead?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: What is correct path for FSDT add-on's?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 01:49:48 pm »
in this directory ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\FSdreamteam\KLAX_V2), shouldn't the FSDT ADD-ON Manager been installed in to my P3D4.2 directory instead?

No, unless YOU explicitly told the installer to install INTO the sim, which is not a very good idea, even if the installer will let you do it, if you really want.

As explained so many times on the forum, our installers DO NOT install anything INTO the sim by default. The default installation path under  C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager is the most sensible choice and, unless you are short on space on C:, it's the best choice.

If you don't want to install there, you are obviously free to install anywhere else, for example on another drive.

The location the simulator is installed into is entirely irrelevant and, in fact, considering the installer lets you install anywhere, installing "INTO" the sim is probably the worse possible choice now.

So, to reply to your question:

- The installer has installed in the location YOU told to install into.

- This, by default, is located under C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager, and it's perfectly fine.

- Any location chosen at install time IS the "correct" location. The installer won't let you install into a "wrong" location.

- YOU might have changed it, to be anything else so, of course, if you did that, you must look for FSDT sceneries under that location.

- Since the installer gave you complete freedom to install anywhere, including INTO the sim, if you changed the default installation path, it's possible the files are now located "INTO" the simulator, because YOU told the installer to do that.

- Even if installing into the sim is not very smart choice now, the products will still work from there, it's just that you'll lose the ability to eventually reinstall the simulator from scratch AND clean up its entirely folder without having to reinstall our Addons, which you could do if you installed OUTSIDE the sim, which is the default.

bankheadd

Re: What is correct path for FSDT add-on's?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 05:55:18 pm »
Thanks for the clarification I deleted the airports I had installed and reinstalled them letting the program set the path which was correct from the start, as I mentioned in my first post I was troubleshooting the floating buildings in KLAS with ORBX and I had to modify some bgl files in the Add-on manager which I thought would be in the main fltsim folder and not in the (Program files x86). I have it working not thank you.