Author Topic: KDFW stutter when airport loads  (Read 3014 times)

Shom

KDFW stutter when airport loads
« on: August 11, 2018, 08:50:51 am »
Hi,
I have anti pop set to maximum but when approaching KDFW when the airport loads up in the distance I get the worst stutter I've experienced in the sim. It lasts around 2 seconds! This is when I am averaging 20-30 fps throughout the flight with no stutters.
So generally wanted to ask if there is a way to reduce this stutter effect? This generally happens in most FSDT airports but in KDFW case it is the worst.
What makes things worst is the I can't use the AS Airbus Pro in conjunction with these airports - http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/138545-stutters-lead-to-loss-of-control/&tab=comments#comment-896915

Thanks for the help

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KDFW stutter when airport loads
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 04:56:29 pm »
I have anti pop set to maximum but when approaching KDFW when the airport loads up in the distance I get the worst stutter I've experienced in the sim. It lasts around 2 seconds! This is when I am averaging 20-30 fps throughout the flight with no stutters.

It's entirely normal you would see a pause while the scenery loads at its general loading range, because this is how all our sceneries ever loaded, and it's what ensures that not a single byte of memory is wasted when you are outside the airport.

By setting the anti pop-up to the maximum, while improving the visual pop-up and reducing the chance of other subsequent smaller stutters while approaching, you made the issue worse, because you have now a larger pause ( EVERYTHING loads at the same time, at the maximum range ), instead of many smaller pauses, which happens when objects with a smaller loading range gets loaded.

This means, if your airplane is not able to handle itself correctly during such pauses, you might get better results setting the anti pop-up to the minumum value instead.

Since, as you said on the Aerosoft forum, it doesn't happen with any other airplane, my guess that airplane is probably using its own separate timers to handle some systems instead of relying on the simulator itself calling back the airplane, which won't happen if the simulator is stalling because of the scenery loading process. So, normally, when the simulator stutters, the airplane code shouldn't run, which is the correct behavior, but if it's running its own timers or threads, it won't know the simulator has stalled (outside the standard Pause or Slew events), which will cause lots of problem in all similar situations, because the airplane system are still running when the sim is not.

Shom

Re: KDFW stutter when airport loads
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 09:26:28 pm »
Thanks Umberto will try your proposed method instead