Author Topic: What is Altitude Cull Option?  (Read 2666 times)

airwolf

What is Altitude Cull Option?
« on: July 26, 2018, 10:20:57 pm »
Hi,

I was just looking at the options in Addon Manager.  I noticed Altitude Cull?  What is that?  I can not find any info on that anywhere?

Should I enable it?

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: What is Altitude Cull Option?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 01:51:42 pm »
All objects in our sceneries usually have a pre-programmed maximum altitude after that they will be discarded.

If the Altitude Cull option is disabled, this altitude will be ignored, and the objects will always display, provided they are inside the airport range and their own visibility range (which is instead controlled by the Anti-popup slider).

It's an option mostly useful in FSX and slower PCs, to keep the fps up and reduce the risk of OOMs, since the objects will be destroyed and memory reclaimed if the airplane is over the threshold altitude. But, just like the anti-popup option, it might add some stuttering so, as usual, there's no free lunch and, by gaining some fps and saving memory, you lose smoothness somewhat.

Under P3D4, it's probably best to keep it disabled.

airwolf

Re: What is Altitude Cull Option?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 07:51:55 am »
Thank you for taking your time to explain this.  Very useful info.  I will keep it disabled, as I have moved to P3dv4.  I am sure this thread will help others.

Have a fantastic day
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:41:48 am by virtuali »