Author Topic: FSDT Addon Manager installs Sound in XML but there is no Sound Directory  (Read 3506 times)

airwolf

Hi FSDT,

I just installed my FSDT products into my Sim P3D 4.3, like 20 min prior to posting here.

I just happened to look at the addon-on.xml created by the Addon Manager, and I notice that it creates a Sound Directory.

There is no Sound created when I installed the products.

Can I remove this entry or there should be a sound sub directory in the Addon Manager installed Directory.

My products at the moment are CYVR, JFK2, and GSX

Here is the line from the xml

<AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Sound</Category>
    <Path>C:\Users\<MyUserName>\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\FSDT\Addon Manager\Sound</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>

Thanks

Airwolf

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
My products at the moment are CYVR, JFK2, and GSX

None of these products has any addon sounds that would be installed in that folder.

Other FSDT products, like KMEM or KSDF for example, do and other future product might use it too and, since it's way more efficient to add a *single* Sound, compared to having each scenery adding its own Sound folder, we add it only once, in the Addon Manager folder, so all sceneries that will use it can share it.

airwolf

Thanks for the update.

But FSDT addon manager does not create the directory Sound.  The xml points to it.  I remember reading somewhere that P3D4.3 at times take longer to load if the directories are not present even though defined in the xml.  

I just created the empty "sound" directory and all is well.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:08:55 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
But FSDT addon manager does not create the directory Sound.

No, it doesn't, it will appear when you install a scenery that comes with its own sounds.

I remember reading somewhere that P3D4.3 at times take longer to load if the directories are not present even though defined in the xml.

Was something confirmed by LM, or just some user opinion ?

Yes, it's possible that, if some addon calls for a sound (or any other file) in some folder, and that folder doesn't exist, the sim will lose some time in searching the sound elsewhere, but if nothing calls for it, which is this case, that additional folder is just an additional entry in a list of folders to look for but, if files are found where they are supposed to be, it won't cause any slowdown.

I just created the empty "sound" directory and all is well.

if that makes you fell better, no harm. But I don't think you would be able to actually measure any slowdown, let alone noticing it.

airwolf

I believe I read somewhere on Avsim from Lorby.

B/c Lorby P3Dv4 Addon manager highlighted that specific xml part of Sound directory.  Once I created it the sound directory.  It showed all xml match etc.

Might as well have the FSDT addon creator create an empty sound directory, eventually I will have other airports by FSDT which will use it but having an empty directory won't have xml issues.  It is in the xml file anyway - just a thought here.

Thanks for responding to this thread and sharing your insights.  Always appreciate it

have a fantastic day
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:28:49 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
B/c Lorby P3Dv4 Addon manager highlighted that specific xml part of Sound directory.  Once I created it the sound directory.  It showed all xml match etc.

That tool sometimes is too picky, and labels as problems things that aren't.

For example, it used to flag as errors XML files with no encoding specified but, per official XML specs, an XML file with no encoding is perfectly legal, and it's just assumed to be UTF-8. I'm not sure if it still does that, because I suggested the author to fix it...