Author Topic: MEM elevation issue **SOLVED**  (Read 7386 times)

skysurfer

MEM elevation issue **SOLVED**
« on: July 10, 2018, 12:25:29 am »
Greetings
Cannot figure out what is causing elevation issues. I have disabled MEM in Vector config tool but that did not fix elevation problem. Spoke to ORBX and the said if MEM was disabled in Vector config tool and the issues still persists then it was not an ORBX/Vecto issue. Then what?
I am wondering if this is something to do with latest P3D v4.3 update. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:22:19 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: MEM elevation issue
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 09:24:40 am »
It would be helpful if you posted a screenshot but, if you look at the forum, there are several messages reporting elevation problems at KMEM and, of course, they were all caused by Orbx, see here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,13614.0.html

All see here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16273.msg116352.html#msg116352

The real issue seems to be that OrbX utility still hasn't updated to recognize sceneries installed with the add-on.xml method, with the last post pointing to a post on OrbX forum how to fix this:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/138358-how-to-make-vector-recognise-p3dv4-xml-scenery/

skysurfer

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:01:31 am »
Thanks for the reply.

Here is the problem:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/915/41506400880_88c40fab19_b.jpg

Here is what ORBX said:

So MEM is disabled in Vector and the issues still persists.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:19:05 am by virtuali »

skysurfer

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 03:12:19 am »
Update.
Renaming the KMEM.bgl to KMEM.off or KMEM.bac seems like fixed the problem.
Thanks for the links. Tha was helpful.  :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 08:21:13 am »
Renaming the KMEM.bgl to KMEM.off or KMEM.bac seems like fixed the problem.

What's this file does and where's coming from, exactly ?

skysurfer

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 02:06:15 pm »
I followed the link above and someone suggested to rename that file. The correct way to fix the problem is to use Vector config tool but if that doesn’t work then renaming that file should fix the problem. I am not sure what that file does, I just tried that suggestion.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 02:22:12 pm »
I followed the link above and someone suggested to rename that file.

This link ?

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/156570-texture-issue-fsdt-kmem-airports-elevations-trees-at-airport/?do=findComment&comment=1383450

renaming the KMEM.bgl to KMEM.off or KMEM.bac in ORBX/FTX_Vector/FTX_Vector_AEC has fixed the problem.

So, it seems that:

- The problem WAS caused by a .BGL supplied by OrbX

- OrbX was incorrect saying "when Vector AEC is disabled for an airport, all the files the are related to it are renamed" because, apparently, sometimes this doesn't work, so you had to rename the file manually.

It would be useful to know why the OrbX AEC utility sometimes fails to rename all files belonging to FTX Vector for an airport. Could be you ran it while the sim was still running, or not properly closed ? That might explain why you had to rename the file manually.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:25:33 pm by virtuali »

skysurfer

Re: MEM elevation issue **SOLVED**
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 02:38:52 pm »
No. This one

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,13614.0.html

I will ask ORBX about those files.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 02:43:24 pm »
No. This one

Ok, it says the same thing: a file which comes with FTX Vector, which the AEC tool was supposed to rename/disable when the airport is disabled in AEC, for some reason failed to be renamed, so you had to do it manually.

Still confirms the problem was always caused by FTX Vector, something we were quite sure of. I made a post on the OrbX forum, perhaps they'll have a closer look why their own AEC utility doesn't always work.

skysurfer

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 02:54:58 pm »
OK. Thanks

ncooper

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 04:45:41 pm »
Hello,
here is my reply to the enquiry about the Vector control panel.

Hello Umberto,

The Vector auto configuration process does not at present recognise the P3D xml add-ons, but it is open to the customer to manually disable AEC for the airport in question and if required, save that configuration in a Vector profile. Here is what happens if the customer correctly operates the manual disabling of Vector AEC in the Vector control panel for an airport for which there is a Vector AEC.

If the files are arranged thus, there is no effect on your product or anyone else's. If you advise your customers to check and if necessary manually disable the Vector AEC, this will resolve any problems that they may have that are caused by the Vector AEC. You can see from the screen shot

that the control panel has not only found the correct files but it has disabled them. Normally, the Vector control panel will operate with the simulator running but if not, it displays an error message. We do not recommend anyone to make any changes to simulator files while that simulator is running. Of course it must be also understood by the customer that any change will not be seen until the scenery is reloaded. It does not ever tell the customer that the operation has been a success when it has not.

Please be reminded: The auto configuration method will not find the P3D add-on xml entry and in that case, the AEC for that add-on

airport will not be disabled and it must be done manually. Although the auto configuration process does, the manual process does not however remind the customer that "Apply" must be clicked to save the changes and this may be the other main cause of customers complaining that they have completed the operation but that there has been no change. The control panel does always show a notification whenever a change has been successfully applied and if that notification is not seen, the changes were not applied. It requires "OK" to be clicked to close it.

A customer can also check whether the operation has succeeded by closing the control panel, re-opening it and then typing the required ICAO code into each column header. It will appear only in the column that the control panel has placed it, either Enabled or Disabled.

Customers who take it upon themselves to amend file names in the Vector folder to compensate for not operating the control panel as intended are also storing up errors which can subsequently interfere with the correct operation of that control panel.

Not all airports have Vector AEC files, if a customer reports that it is not in Vector, then there are no files and their error is not the result of Vector being installed. I hope that this will help to clear up any misunderstandings. This short guide shows how to correctly operate the manual function of the Vector AEC control panel.

Notes:

1. To enable AEC, simply select the ICAO code in the right hand column and click on Enable instead. Then perform stages 5, 6 and 7.

2. If there is apparently an elevation error, change the airport from which ever column it is in to the other column. Note that not all airports are in the Vector database, if one is not, there will be no ICAO code to select and the elevation error will have a different cause.

3. Note that you can create a profile, Save Profile as.... If you do this, your chosen settings can be restored at any time,
Load Profile...

The profile is by default stored in the FTX_VECTOR folder. You may wish to back it up elsewhere in the event of a re-installation being necessary.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:09:43 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 08:15:49 pm »
The Vector auto configuration process does not at present recognise the P3D xml add-ons

I really hope you'll fix this as soon as possible, because that's the officially-sanctioned method to install a scenery in the current P3D SDK and not just for V4: it appeared in P3D3 first, almost 3 years ago so, there's really no excuse not to support it now, more than a year after P3D4, where LOTS of scenery developers are using it by now.

About the rest, if I understood correctly, you are saying the issue of not having the file renamed, was caused by some user error, who hasn't realized the changes weren't applied.

ncooper

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 09:30:21 pm »
Yes.
Very briefly, there is nothing wrong with the Vector control panel if operated correctly.
The problem of it not recognising xml files remains.
Hopefully my post will be helpful to your customers.