Author Topic: What is this file inside my P3D folder?  (Read 4417 times)

captain420

What is this file inside my P3D folder?
« on: June 27, 2018, 10:22:38 pm »
There's a file called FSDT_PHNL_ALT.BGL inside my main Prepar3D v4\Scenery\World\Scenery folder

What exactly is it? I thought FSDT doesn't install files into the main p3d folder anymore?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: What is this file inside my P3D folder?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:01:19 pm »
Is the very well known "altitude correction" .BGL, used by many scenery developers, which is required to prevent altitude problems with AI, if you have 3rd party addons that change the altitude of the default airport and, the only place which will always ensure it will always loaded before anything else, is in the Scenery\World\Scenery folder.

While it's possible it might still do the same function when installed outside the sim folder, perhaps using a proper explicit Layer number, in order to be sure that some other products/installers/utilities might alter the Layer number, making the fix ineffective, we decided to use the tried and tested method, and install it into the sim, as we always did with every version of the sim.

However, while this might look like it won't prevent the absolute "purity" of installing everything outside of the sim, keep in mind the main advantage of installing outside the sim, is that you wouldn't be required to reinstall the scenery even if you MANUALLY remove the sim folder after Uninstalling it. If you "JUST" Uninstall the whole sim, using the default Uninstaller, our file won't be removed, because it's NOT replacing a default file that came with the sim so, as long as you don't ALSO manually remove the remains of the previous P3D folder installation, you will still get the same ability to reinstall the sim without having to reinstall the scenery, which was the main point of installing everything outside the sim to begin with.

So, it's all fine, unless you Uninstall AND manually remove the P3D folder after uninstalling. If you do that, you'll have to reinstall the scenery, if only to restore THAT single .BGL

captain420

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 11:26:52 pm »
Okay so thats for altitude corrections. Reason I'm asking is because there seems to be some sort of duplicate runways in the scenery. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the Hawaii Photoreal package. Inside that scenery folder there contains these files related to PHNL, but I'm unsure of which one I should remove in order to get rid of the duplicate runways.

HPS_PHNL.BGL
HPS_PHNL_AGb.bgl
HPS_PHNL_AGv.bgl

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 12:16:47 am »
I cannot possibly know for sure which files you must remove from a 3rd party scenery to fix a conflict. The only thing you can be sure of, is that we don't create conflicts by ourselves, and that additional .BGL doesn't contain anything else other than the altitude declaration for the airport.