Author Topic: Try to do a high speed aileron roll in the F/A-18  (Read 8265 times)

GR27

Try to do a high speed aileron roll in the F/A-18
« on: November 23, 2007, 04:38:23 pm »
Try to do a high speed aileron roll in the new F/A-18 and it will go out of control, this is not a real F/A-18 behavior, just look at this video of the Blue Angels (minute 01:27) and you will see how the F/A-18 should do a high speed aileron roll

And it's really easy to this, just fly level between 300 to 400 knots and just pull the stick to the left or right.
I also have AerialFoundry F-18 install in FSX and it works fine (except for some effects issues) and i can do the high speed aileron roll without a problem, in general i think that the AerialFoundry F-18 fly a lot better than the new one.
Is there a way i can edit the the new F/A-18 aircraft.cfg to fly like the AerialFoundry f-18, i know i have to copy something from AerialFoundry aircraft.cfg to the new F/A-18 aircraft.cfg but i don't know what?
I hope there will be a fix for this.
Thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Try to do a high speed aileron roll in the F/A-18
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 05:38:02 pm »
I would like to point out that this forum will be only helpful with avionics, gauges and VC functionalities, since that is the part we did in MS Acceleration. We can't help much with flight modeling, generic video/textures problems, dx10, missions, racing, etc.

Handling can be highly dependent on joystick settings and realism setting. You might want to try with different joystick sensitivities, for example.

GR27

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 06:52:43 pm »
I would like to point out that this forum will be only helpful with avionics, gauges and VC functionalities, since that is the part we did in MS Acceleration. We can't help much with flight modeling, generic video/textures problems, dx10, missions, racing, etc.

Handling can be highly dependent on joystick settings and realism setting. You might want to try with different joystick sensitivities, for example.

OK thank you, i am using CH Fighterstick and the joystick sensitivities are FSX default, and i have no problem to control other planes as IRIS F-15 and F-14 and AerialFoundry F-18 and others, but i will try different joystick sensitivities.

abc

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 07:52:22 pm »
Strange, I don't have any problems with doing high speed rolls. (BTW, 300-400kts isn't high speed for an F/A-18)
From 100-700kts don't experience any problems.
Maybe consecutive rolls?  These are prohibited in the real F/A-18 due to the problem that the F/A-18 is a 'fuselage-loaded plane' and can get out of control easily.
I've rechecked the acceleration F/A-18 versus the original flight manuals and she's surprisingly realistic.
It's rather the opposite problem. At high AoAs the microsoft version is a bit too stable.

Regards

Bernt Stolle   Capt 767 

GR27

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 10:49:27 pm »
Strange, I don't have any problems with doing high speed rolls. (BTW, 300-400kts isn't high speed for an F/A-18)
From 100-700kts don't experience any problems.
Maybe consecutive rolls?  These are prohibited in the real F/A-18 due to the problem that the F/A-18 is a 'fuselage-loaded plane' and can get out of control easily.
I've rechecked the acceleration F/A-18 versus the original flight manuals and she's surprisingly realistic.
It's rather the opposite problem. At high AoAs the microsoft version is a bit too stable.

Regards

Bernt Stolle   Capt 767 
Thank you for your reply, when i fly the hornet level flight in about 400 knots and than i pull the stick hard to the right (or left) and try to do five rolls minimum the plane goes out of control, if you look at this video
from minute 01:27 you can see how the Blue Angels pilot makes a 5 1/2 aileron roll in his F-18 and he does not go out of control, i'm not saying i am as good as a pilot as he is but this maneuver does not look so complicated to do, i also have AerialFoundry's F-18 install in FSX and i can do the 5+ aileron rolls without a problem and i think that AerialFoundry's F-18 flight model is very good, too bad the VC and the HUD is not as good as the new Acceleration F/A-18.
Thank you.

abc

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 10:25:25 am »
I've tried about 10 consecutive rolls at speeds variing from from 200-700kts and even without any coordinated rudder or elevator application she doesn't get out of control. With aileron only they start do diverge but nothing out of control like. Maybe it's a joystick calibration problem as well.
In the video it appears that the rolls are in the vertical (which a BIG difference aerodynamics wise) and after a hard pull up. So I doubt that he's doing 400kts. Furthermore he doesn't seem to use full stick deflection. (Either this or his rather slow).
(Using more than 1/2 stick deflection at high speeds is also forbidden in the real F/A-18.

Regards

Bernt Stolle  Capt 767